“Depressingly dark, dim and dank”

Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great location in downtown Vancouver and that's about it. The hotel has been updated through the years, but the best use of this property would have been to tear it down and start over. Staff try to keep it clean. Everything smells like febreze. The room can't be heated without using the loud rattling box on the wall that has no thermostat. I came here because the nearby Hilton was sold out but will do everything in my power not to stay here again. No offense to the staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We don't take offense to it, actually, it is very helpful to our staff. We appreciate the opportunity to receive feedback and respond to our guests individual observations. The good news is that our hotel is no longer pending closure and we are going to be updating! That will make a tremendous difference in some of the less than desirable things you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope that you will stop in to see how we've changed when you are in the area again!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for one night on the first floor, with a room facing the river and Oregon... The view outstanding. The deck huge with very nice view of sunsets, boat traffic, etc. Our room was clean and comfortable but the building is in need of refurb! We will write a separate review for the restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review! We apprecaite the feedback. The good news is that our hotel is no longer pending closure and we are going to be updating the facility! We look forward to having you back again. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our dinner at the hotel restaurant was very good, and the service excellent. The house wine in the bar was above-average, and the service was great. Our breakfast was fairly good, though my toast (it was all I had) was cold before they buttered it. And the service was very slow, even though there were not many customers in the restaurant at the time. It was disappointing after our previous two stays.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review! I apologize that your dining experience wasn't consistent with your expectations. Your feedback is very useful to us in addressing those issues. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel is great - just across the bridge from the Portland. The waterfront rooms have a second door to the river and chairs right outside your room. The dining room is superbly creative with its hight masts (literally) and ship-board feel. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. The Portland hotel is flashier, but this one has the more peaceful waterfront appeal, and the front desk personnel are absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for posting a review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel is dated and deteriorating and is listed as 3 star on Priceline. This is the reason I will no longer book a Vancouver hotel at Priceline.com. I even tried to avoid this particular hotel by booking at the 2 star level and they gave me a "bonus' by upgrading me to 3 star and I got stuck here again.
It feels and smells damp. Edges of carpet are fraying. Just sad and old and it used to be such a nice place!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am disappointed to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. The good news is that our hotel is no longer pending closure and we will be updating! While we recognize the need for improvements, it is always our objective to provide a clean and friendly environment for our guests. I hope that you will consider visiting us again to see what kind of changes we are making. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate the feedback!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Red Lion's are not what they used to be. I stayed here after a winning bid on priceline. I am starting to understand that even though you can save so much money on the room, companies really seem to give you the bad rooms. This was no exception, the room, was clean except for the plugged bathtub that allowed other people's hair to swim around my ankles while I was taking a shower. When I told the receptionist all she said was, "k". When checking in I was told that because I booked on priceline I was not eligible for the free breakfast, and that has never happened to me before. The area is hard to negotiate, and there isn't a grocery store or a restaraunt around for miles, literally that is open past 9 pm. Red Lion needs to be dropped a category to a 2 star hotel in my opinion.

Room Tip: Grab dinner before you get there if you are arriving late, there is not much in the way of food near...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank wanderingCiccone

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice hotel right on the Columbia River. Central location. Very nice restaurant with good food. Very responsive to guest request.
Clean rooms with a variety of choices.
Pleasant walkway along the River.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your reivew. I am pleased that we were responsive to your requests and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back!