“Very Disappointed For My Birthday”

Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hall and stair carpets were dirty. Found the Microwave, Refrigerator, and Coffee maker in room right before check out. Pool was closed during this visit and a lack of information between Hotel staff was evident. Some staff seemed like they'd laugh in my face to ask when the pool would be open and other staff did not know that it was closed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to apologize for you not being made aware of the pool being closed and for any unprofessionalism that was shown to you by our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to rate our hotel based on the experience during your stay. You are a valued guest and we do hope that you will stay with Red Lion Hotels again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel in Vancouver, WA because every room in Portland was booked.

Location: Easy access to/from I-5. Took approximately 10-15 minutes to get downtown Portland. Walkable to quaint downtown Vancouver (10 minutes), but you must pass through an undeveloped portion of the city which felt sketchy.

Facility: older building which looks like it was built in the 1960s. A sign mentioned the inside was recently renovated...average decor, but clean. There is an outdoor pool, conference hall and restaurant to be used by the hotel guests. The fitness room consisted of 1 treadmill and 1 elliptical.

Rooms: Our 2 Queen room was comfortable with 3 pillows on each bed. Temperature control is through the older turn dial vent system with heat, a/c, fan options. TV w/cable, mini fridge and typical room amenities were there. I really liked having 2 sinks in the room. 1 sink was in the toilet/shower area and 1 sink was in the powder room area.

Staff: when we checked in (noon on July 23rd), a female staffer was extremely rude to us and every guest that she encountered. We were initially put off by her but were happy when a shift change occurred and a male host replaced her. He IMMEDIATELY fixed all issues and his mere presence changed the atmosphere in the crowded lobby.
We were woken up at 8.30am by House Cleaning the morning of our checkout. 8.30am? There is absolutely no reason to be knocking on doors at that time...look at the check in/out log and figure out what rooms are free. Poor form.

Overall, I recommend this hotel only as a last option...such as the situation we were in. I would not seek this hotel out, nor recommend it as a first option. However, it does provide clean and adequate amenities.

1  Thank mattchilds
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel itself is old but clean. The night staff are not helpful but actually surly and not welcoming. We experienced a fire next door; broken lock on our door and broken business center. Not great.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for any unprofessionalism that may have been shown to you by our staff. We certainly understand why that would have an effect on the quality of your stay and I would like to assure you that this will be addressed accordingly.
We strive to provide all our guests with the high quality of service that we maintain throughout all of our hotels. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was a nice enough property. Comfortable, clean and updated rooms. The balcony was odd- they all connected to each other and had stairs down to the pool, which was nice if you wanted to go down there, but a little weird. It was a very nice location and the staff was very pleasant. All in all it seemed to be a very average property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

No hot water in the bathroom. The cold sent my body into shock and I slipped in the tub and sprained my ankle. Ouch. Almost hit my head on the sink.
CRT television! If you have pets, this is the hotel for you.
The customer service I received from the staff was excellent. Housekeeping made me a swan towel! They were friendly, greeted me and I had no issues except for the cold shower.
Lots of noise at this hotel too. It felt like the people in the room next to me were sharing a room with me.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I checked in for my 2 night stay on a Friday at around 330pm. I had no wait and the customer service guy at check-in was very friendly.
I stayed on the first floor in a room adjacent to the pool entry door. I thought this would be a noise issue, but it wasn't. I had a great view of the river out my window. Overall- I had no issues and enjoyed my stay.
PROS-
Clean, comfortable bed.
Fridge in the room!!
Free parking & WiFi
Restaurant and Bar on site (I only tried room service and was pleased with both meals I ordered)
Being right on the river was very cool, I loved the view and the little park thing behind the hotel.

CONS-
Traffic sucks getting into and out of Portland on the weekend, which is unfortunate, but most of the activities I was doing were on site, so....not a major issue.

Limited TV- this is only an issue if you are actually hanging out in your room and aren't using your Netflix or something.

My King room was small. If you have lots of luggage and are more than one person, this room will be tight.

I really had no issues with this place and reading some of the other reviews make me confused. Are we talking about the same place?? Service for me was friendly, maid service was timely and my room service was good. The rate could not be beat and the river view was awesome. I would stay here again for the same gathering, but if you want to do stuff IN Portland, stay in Portland and save yourself the traffic headache.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LolaZee
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went to this Hotel for a Tiki Event. The Hotel is Dated but clean and has character. It shows its age and can do with a remodel. The room I got was " Riverside" and had a nice view of the River. The Bathroom I was in ( room 115 ) is completely Handi Accessible and large. The beds were nice. It had a unit that contained a coffee maker and the supplies, microwave ,and a small refrigerator which worked well. All being said the accommodations were nice.
The downside was that the air conditioner was not working at all. I just happend to be there on the hottest days they had that year 98 degrees. I was not in my room much except to bathe and sleep. It was difficult to sleep. The manager "Evan" did everything he could to resolve this but they were unable to fix it .. it was just broken and could not be fixed. On the last day they did end up replacing the entire unit. They were going to move me but I needed to be in the room I had booked for a specific reason so I did not move. The last night I did sleep well as the new A/C unit was from the Arctic Region and super cold. The manager Evan was very apologetic about the entire thing and to make up for it they charged me the lowest room rate and comped me one night for free. I feel that was more than accommodating.
The one thing you do have to enjoy while you are there is the dining room. It has cool nautical decor with an entire mast and sail in the dining room. The Bar are is nice as well and has a great view as does the dining room. The food was typical of most Hotel food. Nothing special but not bad. They did offer a simple breakfast buffet with the usual assortment of breakfast foods. Nothing special but all fresh. They did offer a menu for breakfast as well. The service was extremely slow so do not go there if you are starving. The do have a Happy hour in the bar and a small selection of "food" to have with your drinks. The drinks were standard in price with a fair selection of beers.
Over all I would stay again because I think its nice for the price you pay. All of the Personal were as nice as can be and were always happy to help you with anything you needed. I will especially mention the Manager " Evan " he is a great asset to this Hotel. To let you know how much so here is what he did for me. I had to check out of my room so they could clean it up for the next customer. I had to wait 2.5 hours to get a shuttle to the airport ( which they provide for free ) . I was just enjoying the grounds and remembered that I had left a sandwich in the refrigerator in the room . I asked Evan if He could please check to see if it was still there so I could get it to take it on the flight with me. He returned and told me that it was gone and they had already cleaned the room. I could not get another sandwich as the Cafe was closed. Evan told me he would go to the kitchen and see if they could prepare me a sandwich. He returned with a box containing a nice Turkey and Cheese sandwich and potato salad. I asked him if the kitchen was open he said " No it was closed so I made you the sandwich myself". Now that is Customer Service and why I will come back to this hotel just because of this kind of service.

Room Tip: Rooms 107-119 are on the first floor and have river views.