“Some things are good but needs to improve”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Comfortable hotel with a small but refreshing pool. Well located and with service attentive, needs some improvements. For example, breakfast is very poor. For those who don't love scrambled eggs with bacon, there's not much option. Drinks (like orange juice, not fresh juice) were awful. Bread options also poor. Internet wireless didn't work properly during all our stay (2 days). We booked through Hotwire for some 100$ per day and, honestly, expected a bit more. Quality of sleep is good, that's important, and cleanliness as well. Not a bad option.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
MKMGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

jehu_sitges

Thank you for your review. I have to look at it sideways a tad as I am confused about the comment of the breakfast. We offer plenty of options other than Scrambled Eggs and bacon. Some examples are our self made waffles, White/Wheat bread for toast, bagels, muffins, danishes, Cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and lots more all in the same area. I will have to look into this a bit more and make sure these are being made available at all times, so I apologize if that was the case during your visit.

I appreciate your comment though and I will be taking the time to investigate this to fix any issues. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will give us the chance to serve you better. If you have any further comments, please contact me directly at the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have read some of the other reviews and I do not agree with everyone. Yes, 2 double beds make it a bit tight, but I have stayed in big city high priced hotels with even less room!

The people at the Front Desk, especially Jillian, Jessica B, and Jessica L. were most helpful when I needed some copies made or when I needed my completed work FAXed to the main office.

I am an Elite Diamond member of Choice Privledges so I stay in a number of their properties. This one, in my opinion, ranks right up there with the best.

The breakfast room has a number of tables and the fare offered is very adequate.

I will be back in the area in about a month and I will be staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites Vancouver when I return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Hello JohnDeereJim,

Thank you so much for the great review. I am very pleased to see that you are being well taken care of and I look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our stay was good overall but the room we received from our Hotwire reservation was on the small side. Rooms seem as though they have been renovated. Downtown Portland is about 10 to 15 minutes away and we used this as our base for visiting Portland.

We were travelling as a family with my wife and 6 year old son and the room was not very spacious to move around in. Since we were mostly out and about in Portland, we were not really in our room very long for our 2 night stay, but once inside, it was a bit of a challenge to move around efficiently and place our belongings. If you have more than 1 suitcase, you may want to put the other piece of luggage in the bathroom and on a stand as there was a large area behind the sink that could be useful. .

Despite the small room size, it was clean and outfitted nicely with a microwave, fridge, 2 double beds, and a desk. The wifi worked nicely and the bed was quite comfortable. The A/C worked well and was not too loud. Since the room was small, you could only get out of the bed on one side if you had the bed by the window. When seated at the desk, it was impossible to move past the seated individual without climbing on the bed. So, those of you who booked on a discounter's website and are travelling with more than 2 in their party might want to try obtaining a larger room by either emailing or calling the hotel in advance to see what they can do for you.

My only major gripe with this place was the extremely low water pressure from the shower head. I have not experienced such low water pressure anywhere before. My wife found it particularly annoying since she has thick long hair and prefers more water pressure to wash away all the shampoo out of her hair. For added water pressure, she just filled the ice bucket with water and dumped it on her head.

The free hot breakfast was adequate and we used it to supplement our dinner leftovers from the previous night. In particular, the bacon was quite good. There is also a steak house (Black Angus) in a separate building on the same property.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank adwoodw

Dear adwoodw,

I want to thank you for your review of our facility. I love these reviews that show both our good point and where we need to improve. Unfortunately, I can not increase the size of our default Hotwire rooms. Those are our basic and, on the down side, smallest rooms when you have 3 or more people. We usually offer to upgrade our guest to our Bigger Queen rooms if asked, or suggest to book the rooms with us directly to better understand the needs of the guests.

I appreciate this comment very much and I do hope you visit again so that we can get you into one of our upgraded rooms!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Comfort Inn in downtown Vancouver is one of those places that proves the rule about "you get what you pay for."

It had one of the lower room rates, but it is understaffed. There was only one front desk agent on for a four storey hotel. Tiles were chipped in the lobby floor. The elevator doorway was partly blocked by the hallway fire doors.
The room was too small for the amount of furniture put in it - the beds took up most of the floor space. The bathroom door frame didn't quite reach the floor. A small detail, I know, but it was just one more thing that said "cheap."

There was a baseball tournament in town; I had to speak to some of the rambunctious young players myself, there appearing to be nobody in charge.

In the mornings, the breakfast room had only one attendant, who could not hope to keep up with the demand for supplies - basic things like plates. It would appear the savings in the room rate come right out of the budget for staff.

What this property does have going for it is its location. It is easy to find, right off the Interstate at exit 1C. There is plenty of parking. It is walking distance to the main downtown streets and restaurants. You could even walk to Fort Vancouver if you wanted to.

When I showed my Choice Rewards program card, I was told I would not accrue rewards points there because I booked online. Hmmph.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Exit52,

Thank you for pointing out these issues to us. I assure you that I have looked into these and made adjustments where possible. I do apologize for the inconvenience of having to have been at our facility during the baseball tournaments. We always do our best to make sure things are quiet and comfortable for each guest, however that task is more difficult at times, such as you experienced. Again you have my apologies.

If you have any further comments you would like to share, please contact me directly at the hotel. Thanks again for your review and I hope we can serve you again.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We arrived Wednesday night for our 5 day stay checked in and on our way to our room family of 4 2 adults and 2 kids only to discover a 2 double beds and not 2 queens which we were expecting. I quickly went downstairs to talk to the front desk and quickly learnt that there was nothing they can do as we booked from Hotwire which is a not true at all as we use Hotwire all the time. Our last visit to Portland we stayed at the Express Holiday Inn and they were amazing set us up in a quite room no questions asked and we booked at Hotwire as well. So Joe general manager you just simply did not care or value our business. Quote from Joe see below..

As we are almost completely sold out for the next 3 nights, especially our rooms with 2 queen beds as we have baseball teams that have had these rooms reserved for months now, there is very little I can do.

I understand that a family of 4 is a very tight fit in a room with 2 doubles, but as that is the default room Hotwire is booked with, it is sometimes impossible to change. I do hope you understand this. If something does become available, I would be more than happy to move you though. I just can not promise that it will be able to be done during your stay.

To me it's all about Customer Service clearly this is not on Joe's top list or priority to please the customer. Joe really does not care if he gets repeat business from what my family can see from our 5 night stay at the Not So Comfort Inn.
.It's a shame really that people cannot think of the Big Picture and how this will affect their business..I'm writing this review for those of you who expect TOP Customer service you will not get it here as really Joe does not care one way or the other about your situation.
The breakfast was ok had better choices at other Hotels ( Express Holiday Inn in Portland ) such as bananas I was really surprised that there were no bananas..But really no big deal as I bought my own ..
O one more thing Joe did say he was going to get back to me and after a couple of attempts I just simply gave up ! Thanks for nothing Joe !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 901joe
MKMGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

901joe,

Well, I'm not sure really how to come at this as you pretty much answered your own complaint by quoting me. As I mentioned in my quote you quoted in your review here, Hotwire reservations come through Hotel Systems with a default room. It is then up to the hotel to select a room that best suits the guests needs, aka Run of House. As I mentioned in my conversation with you, and will here again, we just simply did not have queens available. We had 4 Little League Baseball teams in house for their 8-10 day tournament, depending on if they won or not. These rooms had been reserved for months and were in very high demand during your stay. I am very sorry that I could not get you into a queen, but I think this review is a very unfair assessment of my customer service. It's common sense that I can not give you what I do not have. I am sorry that you feel the need to make such a review, but I do understand your frustration.

I wish there was something I could have done, believe me!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Another recent trip to Vancouver WA placed me in need of a hotel room for one night.
Rooms are clean and nice.. However, if you like two queen beds squeezed in a room ment for one king, and ya don't mind having to skinny in between bed and desk chair to get from one side of the room to another, then this intimate setting is for you.. hair dryer sucked cause it wouldn't blow. Main floor elevator button light was out, so you weren't quite sure if it was in use, or out of use.

Usual feedbag fare in the breakfast room. Good place to stay in a pinch. Easy access to freeway, and walking distance to downtown Vancouver shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a single bed room if that is all you need.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
MKMGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Hello Douglas S,

Thank you very much for your review here and for choosing our hotel for your visit to Vancouver. I agree with you that if a larger room is what is needed, then guests should book either our King Suites or rooms with 2 Queens. After some research, I noticed you were actually in our room with 2 Doubles. Our rooms with 2 queens or our King Suites are about double the size for about $10-$15 more. So I encourage you to book these rooms if you are ever in the area again.

I also have taken your other notes about the elevator and the Hair dryer and made sure those have been completed, thank you for that.

Thanks again for your Review and I look forward to serving you again!

MKM General Manager

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Last night before early flight home. Check in took over 30 minutes, due to me clerk, which we understood. Request a quiet room, we're put on ground floor next to the workout and breakfast rooms. Very noisy. Got phone call at 9pm to come to front desk. They couldn't find our check in paperwork so needed to do paperwork and run card again. Was told the new girl didn't do any Checkins properly. I hate to blame a newbie... We all have to learn sometime. I just wish we could have had a quieter night, and her Co worker had handled the issue without blaming the newbie.
The room was clean, bed was comfortable, just to much hall noise for us. Slamming doors until midnight and hall partying when one must wake up at 4:30 stinks.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello Texasislandgirl1,

Thank you for your review! I apologize for the confusion with check-in, but I agree with you 100%, we are a team and this situation should have been handled a little better rather than pointing fingers. Everyone makes mistakes and I expect it which is why I always like to see comments like this once in awhile to let me know how we are doing from a guests perspective.

I do hope you consider staying with us again when in the area as these issues have been used as a training point and should not happen again. Thank you again for your feedback!

MKM General Manager