“Christmas away from home”

Sonesta ES Suites Portland - Vancouver
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This Residence Inn was fair. Nothing special but nothing bad. I was visiting family in the area for the holidays. It was nice having the upstairs bedroom available to let the babies sleep and get away from the main visiting area. The kitchenette area was nice to heat up food brought in by family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 276brendao
Carla-GM, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Portland - Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for spending your holidays with us. I am glad that the two bedroom layout worked well for your family. We hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Every time I come to the Vancouver/Portland area. The last time I stated for the week.
It's beautiful outside the property an the main building has been renovated and it looks soooo nice. I will return again and again. The staff has always been friendly and very helpful. My wife has problems with stairs they always make sure we get what we need.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The curb appeal was pleasant and staff was professional in assisting with my needs.
The room was very clean and amenities met my with satisfaction.
Bed was very comfortable, bathroom very clean and had all necessary supplies. Kitchen was a added bonus.
Flat screen TV , fireplace and nice workstation that was used nightly.
Hotel was close to interstate, restaurants and shopping mall.
I would recommend this hotel for business or family and will stay here in the future for business.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank trvlzom62
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Business took us to Vancouver for two weeks, we really wanted to stay at The Heathman Lodge but they weree booked up. This hotel was nice for an extended stay in the area and the staff was very friendly. The first week we booked a Penthouse Suite which had two bedrooms, one for us and one for our son. The small kitchen was nicely equipped and there was a fireplace in the room BUT they charge $5 for a DuraLog which was crazy. In the morning there was a nice breakfast room with lots of choices.

The fitness center is open 24 hours a day and was really nice, clean and well kept. We used the spa nightly but one day it was ice cold when I got in and the maintenance man was quickly notified and took care of the problem. The rooms are a bit sterile, beds comfortalbe and Mon.-Wed. appetizers and wine is set out in the lobby which was a nice touch.

This hotel is in a convenient location, right across the street from a mall and next door to The Heathman Lodge where we had several meals during our stay. Quaint and cozy it is not but served the purpose for a nice business hotel and was close to good restaurants in the area.

If you are in the area on business, this makes for a nice place to stay. If in the area for pleasure, I would definitely go with the Heathman Lodge next door which is much more cozy and charming. This was our first time to the Vancouver area and enjoyed it very much with the little time we did have to explore in the evenings. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

While the location is really good the property is not. I needs to be remodeled! I was a little annoyed that the regular internet was free but if you wanted to upgrade it was 4.95....just give me the upgrade. Also my husband decided to rent a movie for the grand kids and it cost us 17.95. We could have bought the movie for that. Never seen a rental that high. The pillows were terrible and the room smelt old. My husband got in the pool but it was really cold so he did not swim. Will not be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in a King suite.

Positives:
- No noise at all during the stay
- Very large complex
- Pool was an ok size; the spa was nice
- Checkin and Checkout were quick and easy

Negatives:
- Needs updating. The cabinets and furniture were all very old. The carpets were worn and the couch was saggy and faded.
- If you stay on the 2nd floor you should know that there are no elevators. This was not a complaint by us, but for ADA and others who find stairs difficult you should know this.
- Very poor cleanliness. There was a dead squashed fly on the window, 3 cigarette butts on the balcony, debris like small rocks and leaves inside the front door, and tons of spiders and spider webs outside.
- Tiny bathroom.
- No meat at breakfast. Sausage gravy with no meat in it, does not count as meat.

If you are concerned with cleanliness and modern decor, do not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is and has always been my go to hotel when staying in the Portland, OR area. I do agree with other reviewers, the property is starting to look tired. However, with multiple stays, the staff has always been accomodating and the rooms are clean, quiet, spacious and comfortable. The full kitchen is a plus. The property has breakfast with varied items, a lovely pool and bar-b-que area, laundry facilities that are clean and in good working order and a more than adequate gym. The property's location is right near a large mall, resturants and freeway access. Getting to/from Portland is a breeze. Will definately stay here again and I highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family