“Good service, quiet clean room, yes the carpets need to be replaced”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Arkansas
“Good service, quiet clean room, yes the carpets need to be replaced”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

There are a number of reviews that mention the carpets and I'll just say that I agree they need to be replaced. Other than that, my stay here was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was quiet and clean, and the free wi-fi worked just fine. I didn't use the pool or gym nor did I have the free breakfast so I can't comment on that. The location is good - an office park on one side and several restaurants across the street. Easy access to I-205.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Melinda W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for the feedback you provided. I'm glad to say we're in the process of getting some updates, one of which will be guest room carpet. Please look for that in the next few months. We really appreciate our guests and want to continually improve the product we have to offer you.

Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Port Angeles
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The original room given to us was filthy, when I asked for a new room the front desk seemed to be bothered by my request. I was speaking to the agent and was shunted aside and made to wait as they attended other duties before they could find the time to help a guest. The next room was not much better stains on the carpet garbage behind the lamps on the floor. Had we arrived earlier I would have canceled my reservation and found a different hotel. This was my third and last stay at this hotel it is on a downward spiral. Will not use this accommodation again, they lost a client.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback although I must say I was disturbed to hear your comments. I'm so sorry that you had such a negative experience at our hotel. I will tell you that we are in the process of getting some updates which will include new carpet in our guest rooms and that should be taking place in the next couple months. I urge you to reconsider and would love for you to come back and see the improvements. As far as the service you received at the desk, to be honest, it's unnacceptable. We are very proud of the level of service we provide at the hotel and it seems pretty obvious that's not the service you received. I'm sorry for that. I believe strongly that not having a friendly face at the front desk can impact your entire experience. I assure you I will be following up with the front desk team in regards to your comments and how we could have better handled the situation.

Thank you again for your comments.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed for one night while traveling though the area. Quiet room and beds comfortable. Staff was nice. Bathroom tub floor and area worn, but clean.Would stay again with a good price only, hotwire for $61 per night. great deal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm glad you had an enjoyable experience but wish it were not just an "ok" but a "great," that's certainly what we strive for here. We are working tirelessly to provide a clean hotel and excellent customer service. We are in the process of getting some updates so please be on the lookout for some changes coming up!! Hopefully that will go a long way to providing the kind of product you deserve to have as our guest.

Thank you again!
Windsor, CO
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was a big disappointment. Carpets were filthy, need to be replaced - I'm sure they can't be cleaned. Stains all over the room. Same in another room of our group! The room wasn't dusted and there was hair by the sink from previous people. Can't recommend at all. For a similar price we could have stayed at a very clean, national chain hotel!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Melinda W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry you encountered carpet in that condition. I am happy to report that we are in the process of getting new carpet and should have that completed within the next couple months. I want our guests to be able to rave about their experience at this hotel and I'm so sorry you had the kind of experience that wouldn't allow for that. I implore you to give us another chance in a few months when you can see the improvements that have been made.

Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife- two boys 8 & 1.5yrs old stayed for three nights first weekend in June.
Night service crew was very friendly- but day manager always seemed to be scowling, hunched over a computer monitor.
Good quiet location on Vancouver side about 10min from Portland Airport.
Stayed on 3flr- nice room with Samsung flatrscreen- verry limited number of TV stations.
Carpet was stained and dusty.
We had to move bed to find the 1.5 yr old's toy & discovered unbelievable dust. Looked like carpet had not been vacuumed under bed & behind furniture in a long time. We did request extra vacuum which they did- but still felt dusty.
Shower water pressure unbelievably weak. Bath fan very noisy- sometime would shake when you turned it on. I discovered a thick layer of dust- no wonder it was not functioning well.
You could see black spots on top corner of ceiling- mold maybe?
Breakfast was nice on weekday with sausage patties & omelet (out of box.) Beware weekends you will only get scrambled eggs & out-of-can sausage gravy.
Did use the breakfast area to eat take-out from nearby Vietnamese resturaunt, while watching breakfast area TV. 24hour Coffee in lobby was good quality and available.
If they could just improve the cleaning, some staff attitude & cleaning- I would consider a 3 star.
Not a good choice for families with kids due to the dirty carpet. I had to keep my toddler off the carpet after seeing the stains & layer of dust.

Room Tip: When you check in ask for a room with new carpet- as it looks like some rooms have new carpet. Out i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to write down some areas of improvement for us. I will definitely pass along these comments to the rest of my team. It is important to us that we provide a hotel that's clean, in working order, and with friendly staff. This is what you pay for. I apologize that your stay was less than great. I can assure you however that we are in the process of getting our guest room carpeting replaced and that the project should be complete in the next few months. I will address the other items immediately with team.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This time, I'll start with the good and end with the, well, poor. Here we go:

The people working the front desk as well as the van driver (free trip from Portland -- PDX -- airport on the Blue Line) were genuinely nice. Smiles, caring, all that good stuff. One of the morning clerks even almost tripped getting to the elevator door to hold it open for me as I brought my breakfast (see below) up to my room. That shows good, deferential service despite her not having tripped.

They provided me with a suite at a very nice rate in apparent deference to my real estate agent’s working relationship with them, and I continue to appreciate the accommodation. The room was clean, the décor was fully adequate, and, since I was fortunate to get a suite, it was roomy and inviting.

Oh, the downstairs breakfast! Hot and great! Fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy done nicely, waffles, rolls, bagels, sweets, yogurt, and more and more. Nicely-executed. They even have long 6-10am breakfast hours; most hotels that offer even a miniscule breakfast in my experience go from 7-9.

Oh: No signs of bedbugs.

But now we descend ...

Upon entering the room, I heard running water. It was the toilet and, although it appeared clean (if somewhat porcelain-stained), trying to wiggle the handle and flush several times was to no avail. So I called the front desk; they said they'd send someone if I didn't want to change rooms. Fine. Fair.

But I learned later that the maintenance guy apparently didn't know enough, or didn't have the parts, to fix it, so my choices were to turn the thing off whenever I didn't need to use it (wanna put your hand on a spigot that lives beneath strangers’ feces releases?), change rooms, or suffer the unwelcome sounds all night. Would this make you happy?

Eventually the thing fixed itself, but this wasn't fun.

Beneath the lamp’s lampshade beside the bed, the bulb receptacle was not secured. Easy to get to bare, electricity-hot wires just by reaching one’s hand in there. Can you say, "zap?"

The shower had a push-button thing on the wall for shampoo and soap. Looks kind of high-tech until you try to squeeze enough out to actually use. I found myself smashing the soap button 10-15 times just to get enough out to use on the washcloth (several times). The shampoo, which left my hair like straw in a fire-starting contest, was also not very forthcoming out of the high-tech equipment. And, since they provided this dispenser, the hotel did not provide conditioner/rinse, which might have tamed the fly-away bush atop my head.

Okay, the detriments aren’t devastating, and the positive aspects were quite nice. So my rating is middling. All in all, it’s an okay place with very, very nice people working there.

Room Tip: Tip the bellhop $50 and she'll take you home with her. Just kidding. No bellhops. Just very n...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melinda W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to let us know both how we did well and how we perhaps could have done better. I assure you all comments good and bad help us to reevaluate the service and product we offer to continuously strive for the best. I’m so glad that we provided you with friendly service and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I’m very sorry to hear however about your maintenance issues. I assure you our maintenance engineer responds as quickly as he can as things come up in the rooms. As far as the wires on the lamp shade, to be honest I was shocked. I myself help inspect rooms on a weekly basis and have never once seen exposed wires. I will certainly have our staff keep an eye out, I wish I knew the room that you had stayed in.

Thank you again for reaching out. I hope that at some point in the future you will have the opportunity to stay with us again to experience the friendly staff without the maintenance mishaps.
Ritzville, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in May 2013 while traveling on a business trip. We booked it on Hotwire on a "Secret 3 Star Hotel" for an unbelievable price of $52/king bed for two. It was an amazing value and stay. We thought the rooms were clean - however a little mold on the high ceiling bathroom. The rooms were very spacious and roomy with a comfortable king size bed separated from the seating area. There were two TVs with a couch and desk, refrigerator, microwave, and yummy Seattle coffee for the coffee maker. It was a great "quiet" location and we didn't hear traffic or anything. There was a nice complimentary breakfast with waffles, cereal, eggs, biscuits and gravy, rolls, bagels etc, juices, and fresh fruit. We would definitely stay here again. P.S. The rooms could use some new carpet.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Lynn G
Melinda W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope next time you're in the Vancouver area you'll stay with us again. Hopefully when you stay next you'll get to see new carpet in the guest rooms as we're working very hard to get that completed this year.