“Okay 3 star. Disappointed in this Phoenix Inn”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Perhaps it was because we were traveling with our Standard Poodles...aka DOGS, we may have been given a well used room. My best friend and I traveled to a show in Vancouver with the poodles. We have been many places with these guys and stayed in very nice hotels. We expected what we are accustomed to based on price.

NOT what I expect of a Phoenix Inn. Old furniture in the parking lot waiting to be hauled off. Employees sitting out smoking a picnic bench near our entrance door. Hotel was well used. Needs a refresh.

On a positive note, we did have a first floor room, relatively close to the rear door and nice grassy areas.

Breakfast sad. We stopped at a coffee shop on the second day. The bagel was okay. Biscuit 'n gravy? I wouldn't give it to my dog.

Room Tip: When traveling with dogs, the downstairs in the back, was excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Pros:

-Nice lobby.
-Good front desk service.
-Great location right by the freeway.
-One of the lowest priced hotels in the area(excluding junky motel-style places).

Cons:

-Junky indoor pool.
-Old rooms with firm bed and gross carpeting.
-Bathroom didn't "feel" clean. It wasn't dirty specifically...just kind of run-down.

Overall, I did like this hotel and the price is great for this type of property, but the rooms were a "deal breaker" for me. They were old and in drastic need of remodel. The carpet was so old and gross...I refused to walk on it without sandals. If they fixed up their rooms, this place would get a "very good" rating from me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Pretty average hotel. Not suggested for long period stay. Pool and spa close down weekly. Nice variety of complimentary breakfast. Coffee always ready throughout the day. Internet WIFI goes down frequently.

Room Tip: Two adults two beds, nice size room. Bathroom is a little small.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Amber B
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past week and there were definitely some pros and cons to this hotel. I think it's barely hanging on to a 3 star status, 2.5 seems more appropriate. We payed $56 a night through Hotwire and I feel that's a fair price for this hotel. I am glad we didn't pay more or I would have been very disappointed. I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. The carpet was very old and stained in our room. I could see the dust accumulating along the hallway walls. It definitely needed a good vacuum. The stairwell carpet was filthy and I could see the dirt and dust buildup on the stairs. It also had a very unpleasant,musty smell. When I lifted our bedspread there were lots of food crumbs and Cheerios under the bed which grossed me out. The sheets seemed clean but the duvet appeared dingy. The sinks, toilets, and bathroom were clean which I was thankful for. The room was very spacious and the double sinks were a plus. I appreciated the amount of space we had. The breakfast was very good with a lot of selection which was a great start to our day. I requested extra towels and the front desk said they would let housekeeping know but we never received extra towels during our four night stay. We were on the second floor and the stomping from above got very old. The location of the hotel was convenient with easy access to the freeway to Vancouver and Portland. I think this hotel needs some updates and upgrades in cleaning in order to earn a 3 star rating. It was a good value for what we paid but definitely needs some improvements.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank gigglytiff
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Very unpleasant experience. On checking in was told that no double bed rooms available (king only). I was also told that the door at the end of the hall was closest to my room (for brining in my luggage), but it turned out the door had a sign on it that it wasn't working so we couldn't enter from outside. I informed the front desk so they didn't continue this suggestion. Bathtub drain clogged. Requested twice that it be fixed. Not fixed during stay. On check out mentioned this and no comment or apology given. Internet didn't work for the 3 days of our stay. Front desk couldn't recommend any places to have dinner. Had 3 rooms and there was a significant difference between the quality of the rooms. One public computer in hotel, but printer out of ink, but you could email boarding pass to the front desk and they could print them. Hotel seemed very run down with dimly lit hallways.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed here with kids for a few nights and found it to be a quiet, clean, friendly little hotel. The front desk staff was helpful, the breakfast was reasonable and the rooms were clean and comfy. The pool area did not seem well cleaned, as even after i pointed out some dirty socks to the staff, I still found plastic garbage (the same one) on the pool deck the next day.
Overall, we would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I'm not sure how this one gets such raving reviews, I had a different experience. When you walk in you get a overpowering whiff of antiseptic smell. The hotel is dated, dirty and dark. I won't be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Travellers also viewed these Vancouver hotels
Hampton Inn & Suites Portland / Vancouver
Comfort Suites Vancouver
#15 of 29 in Vancouver
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North
Best Western Plus Vancouver Mall Drive Hotel and Suites

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington? Share your experiences!