“nice kitchens, friendly staff”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Tucson, Arizona
“nice kitchens, friendly staff”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is a nice extended stay hotel in Vancouver. It's close to the highway and convenient to most attractions in Vancouver. There are several restaurants and grocery stores within a five minute radius of the hotel.
It has a complete kitchen with two place settings. It has an iron and ironing board. No hair dryer is provided. There's a TV but no TV guide with program listings.

Things I didn't like: very little exhaust in the room, including the bathroom. There was a vent on the range hood which vented back into the room! I bought a small fan for the bathroom to prevent mold and mildew from forming after showers. In the bathroom there was what looked like a passive air vent but it didn't do much.

There were no daytime curtains, only blackout curtains. I bought an inexpensive set of sheer curtains so I could keep the blackout curtains open during the day. These were necessary because there were always people hanging around in the parking lot.
Also, there's a Motel 6 next door and the residents of the Motel 6 keep a constant watch over the parking lot. I always felt like I was being watched as I came and went, so much that I often used a door on the far side of the hotel just to avoid this. There are no surveillance cameras in the parking lot or on the entrances (I asked). No security.

Suggestions for if you're staying a while:

Choose a room on the north-facing side of the hotel. You'll get a view of the trees instead of the other motels in the area. For privacy choose a room on the second or third floor (also because there's no way to lock your windows when they're open).

They don't do a great job cleaning, so it's safer and more secure to just clean your own room. I was there for a month and my toilet was cleaned only once. It was only cleaned then because I asked them to come back and finish cleaning my room (there was a nasty black ring of mildew in my toilet that they had neglected to clean). The day they returned to clean my room, my door was left propped open for eight hours until I returned and found it open. I could have lost everything I owned, or worse, someone could have let themselves into my room and waited for me to return. I wouldn't have had a chance.

Even with all these negatives, though, I would still stay here again (but I'd clean my own room). The staff were super friendly and helpful, and made a point to know me by name. The laundry was nice and the lobby was nice. It's in a good location. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Suggestions for if you're staying a while: Choose a room on the north-facing side of the hote...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that the housekeeping and security fell below your expectations. Please accept my apology. I am going to discuss your review with my team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your feedback. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at van@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I arrived at the hotel and was immediately greeted by a huge smile and a warm welcome from front desk girl Janet. The lobby smelled a little bit funky but i was informed they were working on the smell. Check in was a very smooth process, Janet made it seem like we were having a conversation the whole time. The rooms were very nice and clean as well as they smelled lovely. The room was facing the front so we could easily see our car. We did end up getting a stained towel and brought it down to front desk. Janet and Julie were both very accomadating and got me a new fresh towel. I would highly recommend this hotel, its not anything special but the Front desk 'gals are wobnderful. Thank you Brandy, Becky, Janet and Julie!!!

Room Tip: the elevator is quite loud i would ask for a room away
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Leanna - Thank you for your great review of our property. It's always great to hear that the staff made your stay so enjoyable, especially Brandy, Becky, Janet and Julie. I am sorry that you received a stained towel; however, I am very glad to read that our staff corrected this issue in a timely fashion and friendly manner.

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very Good Costumer Services by Janet and Julie at Front Desk, They Know How to Costumer Service in the Hospitality Business, and Hotel is Very Clean and in a Good Area, all the Hotels Around this Location Look Crappy, But Soon You Arrive You Have the Best Impression in You Live, Thank You Janet and Julie for the Great Experience.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Our stay was not going well, mix up in reservations, sold out accommodations in a no freaks hotel. Boo.However, the staff was so friendly and did everything they could to make our stay so much nicer. The rooms were clean we were pleased with the service we received.
JUST REMEMBER, You GET What you PAY FOR.this is a no freaks hotel

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that there was a mix-up with your reservation. Still, I am happy that our staff was able to correct the issue in a timely fashion, while providing friendly service.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Extended Stay America hotel in Vancouver, WA. The staff was friendly, courteous, respectful, professional & everyone had plenty of smiles & a wonderfully refreshing positive attitude/vibe throughout my stay. The rooms were comfortable. The rooms had soothing, warm tasteful decor unlike other hotels in my price point with obnoxiously tacky & gauche colors. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The air conditioner worked well. The place I stayed was recently remodeled & they did a wonderful job arranging the decor. My room had a two burner stove, a microwave, a full sized fridge, flat screen TV & nice looking furniture for a hotel. Tasteful & more features & benefits than I actually needed. This hotel was a GREAT value for what I paid to be there over the weekend. Wonderful job everyone!!!

SIncerely,
SA

Room Tip: Book in advance. Be polite & if they happen to overbook the room type you requested, get there e...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean - Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm thrilled that my hotel staff made your stay more enjoyable for you and your family. It was a true pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Seattle
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Reserved this hotel after customer service said "Our rooms are meticulously cleaned after a pet guest stays here...curtains are changed, the entire room is thoroughly cleaned..." Not the case, room was not vacuumed, there were pet toys under the bed, spilled food on the refrigerator and heater, blankets had food and hair. Gross...just gross. On the plus side, the hotel staff were nice and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank English C
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that our pet policy cleanliness issues were not up to standard. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I have talked to my entire team about making sure all pet rooms get deep cleaned before the next guest is in the room. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at VAN@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Bainbridge Island
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I had previously spent 3 nights here and it was fine.I did miss the room refreshing that I got at other hotels,but it was ok,this was a first floor accessible room. My second stay was a 3rd floor smoking room,it didnt seem too bad but it turned out to be,not very clean and yucky things under the bed. also flatware and glasses weren't very clean. after some loud unplesantness in the parking lot,I decided to leave and drove the 170 miles home.

Room Tip: I would only have a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Vancouver, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The items you found under your bed and the cleanliness of your flatware and glasses you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to be double checking under the beds to insure all items and or trash is removed from every guest. I will also be making sure that all dishes are properly cleaned as well. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at VAN@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.