“A home away from home!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel, which is located in a beautiful, quiet area close to the Columbia River. The main lodge is beautifully appointed, very cozy, with two large TV's, games, etc., plus a Business Center and other facilities.

The suites are very spacious and well-arranged, the bed is marvelous, and we even had a balcony (my husband was able to come with me on this business trip.) The free wireless connection worked like a charm, much different than most hit-and-miss connections I've found in other hotels.

The breakfasts were complete hot meals. Four nights a week they offer a Welcome Home reception, which they call a light meal, but we were there for it one night, and it's more than enough, again, hot food instead of cold appetizers, plus wine and beer are served.

The staff does everything in their power to make you feel welcome and taken care of. If you need a map to somewhere, they'll print one for you if they don't have one available. One night I was feeling really ill and needed to have some orange juice. My husband went to the office to see if he could find some left over from the earlier meal, and one of the staff actually went into the kitchen and came out with a half-full pitcher and gave it to him.

I'd recommend the Homewood Suites to anyone, and we'd love to come back again, even without business obligations.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 August 2010

As I have noted in previous reviews, I am quickly developing a love affair with this hotel chain. This one had everything I have grown to like about the Homewood chain, but also had a couple of quirks which kept it in the four-star range, rather than the five-star designation:
1. NOISE--You are right under the takeoff path for Portland Airport, and it was more noticeable than I would have thought. There is also a train track about two blocks away. The walls absorbed some of the noise, but not all of it.
2. LAYOUT--Unlike the other Homewoods I have stayed in, this one was a complex with multiple buildings. The only drawback to that was lugging a whole lot of luggage up a flight of stairs, as we were in one of the auxilliary buildings on the southern end of the complex.

Now, there is a positive to the layout--it gave the rooms a really unique and interesting floorplan. Our room had a larger bathroom that extended off of the bedroom, which was set up at an angle off of the primary room. A refreshing distinction.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This is a great place to stay. Nice clean rooms, good pool for the kids, reasonable price, good restaurants nearby, quiet hotel, GREAT full breakfast in the morning, what more can I say. STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2010

The hotel is one of he nicest I have been in. Staff was very helpful. Loved the morning breakfast, and dinners during the week. Hotel is right along the Columbia River, several very nice restaurants in a block radius. I love staying here when in Portland!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

From the moment my husband and I checked in to the day we checked out, everything was absolutely perfect and wonderful about this hotel. Need I say more? I don't need to, but I gladly will. The front desk, hospitality, and housekeeping staff were all very courteous, helpful, and friendly. Because my husband has trouble walking, they assigned us a room that was on the first floor and near the door to the parking area. The suite was expansive, very clean, and very comfortable. Very comfortable bed, too! We were there to attend major dog shows at the Portland Expo Center, which is only about a 10-minute drive away. This hotel welcomed our dog. There is a fair and nominal fee to have a pet at the hotel. But there was a lot of grassy area surrounding the hotel to walk our dog. (Our dog must have been comfortable at the hotel because he was relaxed and won at the shows!). As a bonus, the hotel offers complimentary daily hot breakfasts as well as evening hospitality M-Th. The menu was varied and changed daily. The food was plentiful and delicious. And......free beer and wine in the evening! I utilized their free high speed wireless internet in the room and in their basic business center. On another, and important, note, the staff went out of their way to assist me in purchasing a purse at a local dept. store since I did not purchase it when I stayed at the hotel. When I called the hotel after returning home to ask if someone could go to the store for me to purchase and ship the purse to me, they happily helped me out with it. Very special thanks to Leilani at the front desk, and Kari, the hotel manager for going out of their way to help me purchase this "gotta-have" purse. Also, thank you to Lorisa who provided great service at the evening hospitality and to Razija in housekeeping for doing an impeccable job servicing our room. We stayed one week at this hotel and everyday was just great. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. I know we'll be staying at this hotel again whenever our travels take us to this area. 5 out of 5 stars in every way. Kudos to the hotel and staff. Keep up the excellent service!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LongBeachGB
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Great location, friendly and accommodating staff! This is one of our favorite HWS locations. We travel a lot for business and bring our two dogs along. This location is terrific to walk and exercise our boys along the water. It is very well managed and they have great attention to detail. Highly recommend them to anyone staying in the Portland/Vancouver area!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We had a king-bed suite on the third floor of one of this property's 4 buildings. The stairs are exterior to the building and covered. There is also an interior elevator. The rooms are all entered from interior corridors. It's necessary to walk outside for the free breakfast (daily), free supper (M-F), guest laundry, and business center.

The units are a stone's throw from one end of Vancouver's Waterfront Trail, a paved path that follows the Columbia River right into Vancouver's City Center, about 4 miles away. The airport is across the river, but the flight path is not directly over the hotel. Free Wi-fi is accessible from the rooms, which is a good thing, since the Business Center has only one computer and printer.

Our suite was incredibly spacious, with a full-size refrigerator, microwave, sink, dishwasher, and two-burner (I think) stove. The living room had two windows that open. The heating and cooling are controlled by a thermostat, so no room air conditioners to cycle on and off. The two TVs were HD compatible. Our only quibble with the furniture was the dining table that had to serve as a desk and was not compatible with the desk chair for height and comfort. The room also had a sleeper sofa and very comfortable upholstered chair with ottoman.

The bedroom had a dresser with six drawers, a comfortable chair, and two windows. The closet was double size, fully mirrored. The sink and vanity were separate from the toilet and bathtub area.

I guess the hotel expects most of its guests to eat in their rooms or dine out, because there weren't enough tables for seating at supper. A free meal really brings people in -- even if it's meatloaf, canned corn, and instant mashed potatoes. Breakfast was much, much better -- hot cranberry scones the morning we ate there. A small cafe is a block away if you'd rather have breakfast out. For lunch or dinner, two area favorites, Beaches Restaurant and McMenamins, are just across the parking lot. And Joe's Crab Shack is a fun, fun, fun place to go for a noisy, good time and great crabs. It's 1 or 2 miles down the road.

Our drive to the airport took only 10 minutes -- very convenient. This hotel is a great option if you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet be less than 30 minutes away from any part of it (as long as you avoid rush hour).

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Hilton Vancouver Washington
#2 of 29 in Vancouver
Hampton Inn & Suites Portland / Vancouver
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Staybridge Suites Vancouver - Portland Area

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland? Share your experiences!