“It was Okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
“It was Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The room was sufficient. It smelled like a sour wash cloth, mostly in the bathroom.
The hair dryer didn't work and when I told the front desk there was NO "sorry about that we will get it fixed" it was "okay".
The pool was nice, although we had to ask for pool towels.
Pets were allowed for a small fee, parking was free.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't stellar either.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear EL, thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Suites, Salmon Creek, WA. I sincerely want to apologize that we did not meet your expectations and that the staff was not more responsive to your needs. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your confidence during a future stay. Best regards, T. Laib-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have stayed at other Shilo Inns in other locations and loved them. We picked this one on the reputation of the others. Highly disappointed. Not up to the standards of others. The first thing that we noticed was the stale or musty smell in the hall. The beds were saggy and the pillows were thin. Clearly had not been replaced for years. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was fair. When we pay for a night's sleep we expect to have comfortable sleeping accommodations. We would have been more comfortable on a blow up bed at our relatives. Definitely will pick a different hotel when in the area again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 276Traveller26
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear 276Traveller26,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to earn your confidence.

T. Laib
Lakewood, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was our second time back to this particular hotel. I knew I wasn't thrilled with, but couldn't remember why until I walked into the building - it has a powerful floral scent in the hallways. The hallway looked clean so I don't know why they need to use it. Our first non smoking room had definitely been smoked in. Asked for another room - 1) because we are non smokers and wouldn't be able to sleep smelling it all night and 2) we didn't want to get stuck with their $300 no smoking fee. I would have assumed the fee was used to clean the room - guess not. Second wing of the hotel, where the other room was, had the same strong scent, along with the smell of chlorine from the pool. Thankfully the bedroom did not stink of smoke and the floral scent was tolerable. However, the grout in the bathroom had pink mold and the shower curtain was old and torn. It was late, we were tired, so we didn't ask for a third room. (We decided to check out the next day and go to another hotel for our remaining 2 days.) Breakfast was substandard. The only 'bread' option were a bagels. Most were at least a day old - hard even though they were wrapped in platic. For $100 a night the bagels should be fresh. The next day went to Comfort Inn (formerly another Shilo Inn) where it was $28.00 cheaper per day, for the exact same type of room - 2 queen size beds. Comfort Inn was clean, didn't smell, has a better selection of TV channels, beds were nice, and the free breakfast has a much larger and better selection. Will never go back to Shilo Inn. The positive thing about Shilo Inn is the staff was nice and accommodating. There was a 'guest' yelling and cursing and banging around threatening to beat someone in his room. But I could tell there wasn't anyone else in his room - no talking. I called the front desk, explained the situation. The girl talked to the guy. Frankly, he sounded very scary and I would not have wanted to confront him. She called me back and told me if I continued to hear him to let her know. I didn't. I feel she did a great job.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Lorraine H,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay and for being a valued Shilo guest. We sincerely appreciate your retuning a second time. I apologize that your accommodations were not up to Shilo standards and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I assure you that this is not our normal level of excellence. I sincerely hope that you will give us a future opportunity to regain your confidence.

Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Nice hotel with easy access from I-5 and the 205. Conveniently located close to Peet's Coffee and Burgerville. The room was clean and comfortable, friendly front desk staff, and nice breakfast room and breakfast.

Room Tip: The hotel is next to the freeway, but the rooms face away from the freeway so I think most of the ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lisalarn,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognizing our special brand of “Affordable Excellence” and look forward to your next stay with us.

Redmond, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Loved our stay at this hotel. The furnishings were decent and clean and the room we had was comfy and roomy. The highlight has to be the free breakfast which had much variety and quantity. The only bad experience was that the pool was closed for cleaning during our one night stay. Definitely worth the ~$80 a night I paid for.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hammad H
Dear Hammad H,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inns and value your patronage. I sincerely hope that you will choose us again in the future.

Missoula, Montana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

My family and I stayed at the Shilo Inn Salmon Creek/Vancouver and we were very disappointed. When we got to the hotel there was no parking (they have a very large parking lot too) there was a car show going on that weekend and many cars were taking up multiple spaces, people were sitting in lawn chairs in the middle of the road. I understand that people are protective of their cars, but for a family with 3 children under 6 to have to walk with all their luggage, nearly a block away to get to our room was a little ridiculous. The trashcan was overflowing most of the time we were there. Everyone including the employees would smoke right next to the door entrance. So whenever my family and I would enter or leave the building we would have to smell the smoke. The only other option was literally walking indoors to the opposite side of the hotel to exit. I found this unacceptable. Because of our family size we reserved the Suit. The size was great, but the room did not feel like it had been cleaned. There was a white substance all over the sofa, the pans and disposal was dirty, there was a hair in the freezer and on the extra pillow from the shelf, the towels had brown stains all over them, the cooler panel was broken and just laying there when we arrived. The cooler did work excellent though. The light in the kitchen made a horribly loud buzz, as did the TV. There were no sheets or blankets for the sofa. I called and told the office of the conditions and there were no other rooms available to switch to. So the girl at the front office had to come and clean out room. So after a 9.5 hour drive with three small kids we had to wait an additional 30 minutes to get settled into our hotel room. The staff was mostly nice. We got to breakfast each day before 7:30 and the OJ was gone all three days, one day there was no milk, we had to wait for the staff to run to the grocery store for some more. The eating area is very tiny, especially when its full. We mentioned the lack of OJ on the third day and I was told that once its gone, its gone. The pool was very nice, the hot tub was nice. The sauna smelled like feet and the steam room smelled like mold. Overall I was very disappointed and will NOT be recommending it or staying there myself again. After all of our bad experiences the manager did compensate us for some of our stay, but it put a huge damper on our vacation.

Room Tip: Not in the back, behind the office. I would suggest being closer to the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Tasha R,

was sorry to read of your disappointing stay at the Shilo Inn Salmon Creek.I apologize for the lack of adequate parking, but as you noted there was a car showing going on that weekend. I will certainly address the employee smoking issues, breakfast problems, and apologize that your room did not feel clean. I am glad that the manager did offer you some compensation for your disappointment, and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity.

Tim Laib, CHA
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

the room was clean and large and had all the amenities that were advertised, and considering the price, a reasonable buy.
But the place is showing its age and needs an upgrade.
We placed a half-full cup of soda from McDonalds on the desk, and within minutes it was covered with tiny ants. We kept all our snacks in the fridge after that.
The electronic key cards are so worn out that we had to try multiple times to get the doors to open, even after complaining and getting new keys. It took more than a dozen tries at lest three times in the three days we stayed there.
Wifi worked well, lots of food options nearby, easy access to I-5 and I 405 (although a little hard to find at first), and reasonable pricing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Salmon Creek, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear spudpapa,

Thank you for posting your recent review of the Shilo Inn suites, Salmon Creek. I want to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with the key cards and the ants. We have contacted our pest control vendor and they are addressing the ant issue. We are constantly working on making improvements to our property and hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Tim Laib