“What a disappointment!”

Price range: US$3 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located north of Vancouver lake in the Felida neighborhood, this quaint bistro offers unique lunch & dinner options. All fish, chicken, pork & beef are hand rubbed & smoked on premise. Dressings, marinades, salads & sauces are from scratch. We are committed to using fresh & local ingredients whenever possible. Lunch offers panini's, sandwiches, burgers, salads & soup. Dinner boasts several fresh fish options, riester farms lamb, signature picatta, mac & cheese, pulled pork platter, burgers, filet & an array of salads! Also offering TWO HAPPY HOURS in the bar daily from 4:00 - 6:00pm and 8:30- 10:30pm!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Coming from out of town we chose to dine here with our son and daughter in law because of all the great reviews, but we will not be returning. The food was good, but the other factors far outweighed it. No ambience, in fact, we entered the dining room which was very noisy due to a family with several very loud young children and nothing in the room to soften the noise. Our server acted irritated with us from the beginning, never staying tableside long enough to hear our requests, and whisking away our plates the minute our forks with the last bite was in our mouths. The item I ordered from the menu for my dinner was no longer available, which I did not learn until several minutes after we had all ordered when the server returned to inform me. My Caesar salad was delicious with a light flavorful dressing, as were the hot rolls (which I had to specially request from the server). All in all, a huge disappointment!

Vancouver, Washington
“Great place and food!”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This is one of the Best places to eat in the Portland-Vancouver area. The food is fresh, their menu is alway different. The atmosphere is great and very enjoyable. Service is excellent.They also cater, I have used Debbie twice everyone just can't say enough good things about the way she prepares menu to match the occasion. If have not been here you are missing out!

• Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Washington
“Farrar's = Nice Surprise and a New Favorite”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Seeking a dinner spot with friends I did a search by ratings and Farrar's came up close to the top. I had not heard of it as Farrar's is a bit out of our neighborhood. But our friends are closer and had good things to say. We weren't disappointed. I need one of these in my vicinity. And don't let the location next to a gas station dissuade you. Farrar's is located in an older building that has obviously been remodeled and has a nice vibe. We tested the mixology at the bar - good reasonably priced wine by the glass (generous pour) and a decent Sapphire martini. The dining room is comfortable and the menu offers a nice variety. We ordered a chicken dish and a pulled pork entre. Both very good. Service excellent. The atmosphere could use a bit more decorating -- it's a high ceiling and might benefit from more interest on the walls or items of interest here and there. All in all, a new favorite.

• Visited October 2012
Ridgefield, WA
“Farrar's Has Expanded!”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Our favorite "neighborhood" bistro is now MUCH bigger, with the expansion into the adjoining space that was formerly an exercise studio, and before that, an antique shop. We have NEVER had anything from the menu that we haven't loved at Farrar's. Last night I took a friend who has only been there once before, and I hadn't been there myself in several months, so I was thrilled to see all the improvements. The staff is mostly the same, and all are well-trained, friendly, and they actually REMEMBERED me from previous visits! Both owner Debbie and server and bar manager Adam made a point to come by to welcome us and say hello. The young lady who was our server could not have been more helpful, with just the right amount of attentiveness. But it was the food that reminded me why I love to come here: We both had the scallops last night, and shared the wedge salad. I asked for a white wine suggestion, and the Adlesheim Pinot Gris was perfect. It was one of the slightly pricier selections, but it was "local" and still affordable at $32. And it was outstading with the perfectly-cooked scallops, which were beautifully presented on a bed of spinach, roasted cubes of sweet potato, and a bit of crunchy bacon. We asked for the green-chile-style sauce on the side, and it was delicious and not spicy at all, but the dish could easily stand alone. We skipped dessert because we were just too full! I've tried most of them before, though, and all are made from scratch and can easily be shared. In fact, their delicious Bread Pudding can serve FOUR! Or serve 2 and bring the rest home for the next night's dessert! There is now a Happy Hour in that new bar area which I intend to suggest trying when The Hubbs returns from his Fall pheasant hunting trips! Our only complaint last night was not the fault of the restaurant: There was a large group of about 14-16 people seated together on one side of the dining area. By the time we arrived, the noise level in that room was almost unbearable! We thought perhaps they had only just arrived and were just glad to see one another! But several of the women were absolutely screeching throughout our dinner, so my friend and I could not have the relaxing catch-up chat we had hoped for at all, nor could we hear our server. The group was oblivious to our reactions, so they had obviously had plenty to drink before their dinners arrived. Please, people: When you are seated with a large group, try to be considerate of other diners in your midst! We came very close to asking for our dinners to go, and if that happens again, we will probably just leave before we order and come back another time. This is NOT any fault of Farrar's Bistro, although I'm wondering if they might consider hosting such a big group in the larger bar area if possible? The hardwood floors and other solid surfaces just seem to amplify all that shrieking! It just about spoiled our entire evening; we both had headaches by the time we got back home!

• Visited October 2012
“A Much needed addition!”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This place had delicious food, creative drinks, and an adult atmosphere. It is the perfect place to go for a relaxing evening after work, and I am so happy they are here!