“It's that old breakfast diner to the extreme...”

Carols' Corner Cafe
Ranked #52 of 724 Restaurants in Vancouver
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Carol's is exactly what you would (or at least should) expect when you pass an apparently old building with a phrase like "country cafe" in the name - only moreso.

Carol's is a relatively small building with a big parking lot - which is usually full during breakfast hours. When you walk in, you are greeted by a somewhat noisy diner atmosphere in a building that needs paint, signs that have probably been up for years, and other items that remind you of a truck stop style diner from 40 years ago. When you see that and "busy" together, you normally know there's going to be good food and a LOT of it, and Carol's doesn't disappoint in either category.

The standard order of French Toast I had was the only item that at all seemed "normal" in size. My wife's omelette could easily have fed 3 people, and my daughter's single pancake (their notion of 8" is a bit larger than a tap measure would likely have put it) could have fed two average adult eaters. All the food was very tasty.

If you go, bring your appetite for both the current meal and your next one. You can split a meal for a $1 add-on charge. If you don't, and you plan to finish everything they serve you while there, you may want to pay heed to the rule on the menu: "Two hour limit per table" - it may take that long to eat all of it...

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stopped at Carol's Corner Café just passing through the area. We were hungry and not in the mood for typical fast food. We found it through the tripadvisor app trusting the great reviews. The parking lot was packed and the people were still rolling in. This isn't the prettiest of places, so don't bother if you are looking for ambiance. But the customers were all happy and the staff were very friendly. I tend to eat smaller portions so I ordered the half biscuits and gravy with hash browns. My husband ordered a grilled sandwich a side of tater tots. When the waitress brought our food she apologized for the lack of tater tots in the basket and we laughed because to us there were plenty! Not only were there plenty but my "half" order of food was enough to feed a family of four! The biscuit was huge and was more like a cake covered in peppery gravy. The food was good but keep in mind that the portions are huge and the food is greasy and heavy.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am retired so I try to go out at least once a week to Carol's. The food is always excellent!! My favorite is the Carol's Corner Hash(?) 1/2 order. It consists of Hash Browns, Ham. Green Peppers & Tomato slice topped with white gravy ( Beef Gravy is also available). Even when the gravy sometimes creeps over the edge of the plate, I really enjoy each bite full. I order a 1/2 portion and always take home a equal amount for breakfast the next day. Mos of the workers know what I want when I walk in the door and serve me the coffee and a glass of water. When my son comes home, he always wants to go to Carol's. He likes and can finish the 1/2 order of Omelet. The restaurant is always clean, great servers food that is hot. I don't mind waiting even in the rain because being born here I have my Webfeet.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I've only come here for breakfast and both times the food was really greasy and not good. The place has been there forever so I had tried it a second time thinking maybe I caught an off day...but nope. Still greasy and gross! The place seems pretty dirty too.

2  Thank tecnicole
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First there were the signs on the door declaring that you can't bring in your espresso that you purchased elsewhere. Most inexpensive restaurants like this one have no problem letting you bring in your espresso, especially when they don't sell espresso themselves! I had just bought one and didn't feel like downing the whole thing outside, so in the trash it went - what a waste! The whole place looked pretty dirty. The portions are huge to the point of wasteful - even if you're really hungry, it would be tough to finish even the half-order of the dishes I saw - but a huge amount of not-so-great food is not a bargain in my book. (We were travelling, so getting a box for the leftovers - even if we wanted them - wasn't an option.) I ordered two 8 inch pancakes, and they were more like 12 inches - wouldn't even fit on the plate!

If you don't care much about how your food tastes and you want a ridiculous amount of food for a really low price, this is your place. Otherwise, I suggest you go elsewhere.