“Just shy of excellence...”
Review of Cactus Ya Ya

Cactus Ya Ya
Ranked #194 of 709 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Vancouver, Washington
“Just shy of excellence...”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just revisited. Glad I did. I've been going here on and off for the better part of twenty years. The food is consistently good, and often better than that. The core staff have largely been there a good many years...and it shows that they love what they do. The service is always appropriate to perfection. Not too much, not too little. Everything in a timely fashion. Yet you as the customer, will never be rushed. One needs to be in a certain mood to enjoy the atmosphere. Looking for a quiet evening? Maybe a romantic one? Something private? This restaurant will not meet those needs. It's a place to visit when you are feeling high energy or wanting to be sociable. Yes, it's noisy. Inexplicably noisy. Voices carry AND echo off the stone floors and walls. Yet it's strangely soothing given you're in the correct mood. The noise almost drowns out your overthinking after a long day. You might be surprised. It's also a bit cramped, but negligibly so. Reading prior negative reviews on the site, I will agree with some of you on two main points and I can solve the problem for you. Don't eat the fish anything...and don't go for happy hour. These are the only disappointments I've experienced with this restaurant. I will return there again...and again.

• Visited July 2014

Vancouver, Washington
“Nice Selection and Good Service”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This local spot has a nice selection of dinner and light snack items.
Even though it's not a "burger" spot per se, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good their burgers are.
We've tried Cacrus Ya Ya a few times now so we've had a chance to sample a nice cross section of their appetizers and light menu items and so far everything has been very good.
Ad to that the fact that their servers all seem to be friendly and prompt with their service and this is a very good choice.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank pinhead411
“Unimpressive..”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Not too impressed with this place, dingy, loud and dated. People must just go for happy hour cuz there was a 10 min wait to be seated in the bar which was a first for me. Grilled fish taco was unflavored and chili releno has lots of sauce and egg. Prob wont go back. Sorry..

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank berrycb
Vancouver, Washington
“I can't see myself ever going back.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were going to go to a mexican place instead but my friend said her sister in law said that she loved this place so we thought what the heck let's give it a try. The service was awful. The happy hour menu was slim to nothing and the food was bland and tasteless. Everytime we wanted a refill on our soda's our waitress was no where to be found. I could also see other tables looking around for a waitress or looking for anyone to help. We were very dissapointed and you won't be seeing us again at this establishment. Also, the bar is suuuper small and the chairs were not comfortable at alll.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank saraSMASH
Camas, Washington
“At least we didn't throw up”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I came here with my three children for dinner on a Friday night. We are from Texas and a bit spoiled when it comes to Mexican food. We were seated and the hostess provided us with drinks. About 25 minutes later, our unapologetic and apathetic waiter appeared and took our food orders. All I can say is worst food ever. Disgusting. I will summarize our food experience with a brief description of my daughters shrimp quesadilla. Cheap tortillas with velveeta type chess with shrimp that tasted like it was from a frozen store bought package that had been in the freezer three months too long. Terrible. I would rather just not eat than return.

• Visited October 2013