“great place for a biz or family stay”

SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
San Francisco, California
“great place for a biz or family stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I just completed a one night business stay at the SpringHill Suites in Vancouver.

The suite was nicely sized but didn't feel all that much bigger than a standard hotel room. The big difference here is that as a "suite", there are some extra walls which separate a "living room" area from the "bed area" and an impressively small but efficient kitchen area, but the only additional door is the one between the shower & water closet room and the bathroom sink area.

The kitchen area had a microwave hidden in one of the cabinets over the small sink. Under the sink was a small fridge which would easily hold a few days worth of items. There's a mini-pantry of sorts next to the front desk which also sells all kinds of cold drinks and even beers.

The flat screen was perfectly positioned between the living room area and the bedroom area, probably to allow it to be swiveled for proper viewing in whichever room you felt like lounging in.

In the closet I found an iron and a little luggage rack and an extra blanket and sheet (I didn't check to see if the couch folded out into a sofa bed). I was surprised to see there was no room safe hidden in the closet, but the front desk appears to have some mini safe slots designated for guests. The bed had four or five smaller and somewhat wimpy (i.e. not particularly firm) pillows on top of it.

I did get a chance to use the small exercise room, which is located to a slightly bigger pool area. The exercise room had a treadmill, an exercise bike, a stair master and a nifty (but very wacky) dual tracked treadmill (one belt for each leg, each belt going up and down independently) which simulated running on varied terrain. There was also a small free weight set and towels crammed in there as well. The Sunday night I stayed at the SpringHill Suites hardly had any guests staying in the property, but on busy business nights I can imagine both the exercise room and the pool being easily overwhelmed with people.

Breakfast options included different kinds of cereal (Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, etc.), little cartons of milk (skim, 1% and 2%), hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs with sausage or mini ham circles in the hot tray, two make-it-yerself waffle machines and mix, muffins and bagels, and different kinds of juices and yogurts. I can't recall actually seeing anything super healthy in there (i.e. fruit), but I might not have looked too closely enough. Yep, breakfast is included in every stay. There's a computer down in the lobby which I used to print out boarding passes for my flight out of Portland airport the next morning (only about 15-20 minutes away from the hotel, a surprisingly quick drive).

Was it worth the stay? It's close to almost any technology company doing business in Vancouver and if the price is right I'd say it'd be worthwhile. Myself, I spent $130 to stay Sunday night there, but I did see multi-night weekend package stays available on the website for less than $90 per night. I'd gladly stay here again if I were traveling with a family (i.e. with kids) or doing business, but I'd go for other options if I were doing a romantic getaway with my significant other (not too much in the way of hotel amenities or amazing scenery close by).

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I enjoyed my 2-night stay at this SpringHill suites. Specifically, I liked the extra friendly greeting upon arrival. The clerk shared parking tips, location tips and when I asked for directions to an office-supply store, she not only found the information but she offered to help me with copies. It was an unexpected and refreshing encounter.

I also liked the cleanliness of my room, as well as the typical SpringHill suites amenities (suite-style rooms with a small kitchenette/fridge area).

The location was perfect, with a Whole Foods across the street plus several other restaurant and shopping choices nearby.

My only complaint is about the business center in the hotel lobby. Since the hotel has "tech" in it's name, I expected to see a contemporary computer and printer available. I had trouble printing a presentation because PowerPoint wasn't even installed on it (only the "viewer" version, which has limited options). So I would not recommend relying on the hotel's business center if you need to do any work during your stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at the SpringHill Suites in Vancouver for a week while visiting my daughter. She helped me pick it because the location was so convenient to her house.

My room was spacious - king bed, 2 nightstands, huge closet, great vanity area and separate tub with shower (the real deal - not plastic!) The large flatscreen TV sat on a low dresser so it could be viewed from the bed and from the living area. There was a nice sofa, chair and coffee table, and a work area included a big desk with a good lamp, wired internet connection (the room has wireless internet) and comfortable office chair. The kitchenette was perfect - microwave to warm up restaurant leftovers, small refrigerator for snacks, handy sink.

The hotel was exceptionally clean and quiet, the bed cozy and comfortable, and the continental breakfast went WAY beyond continental - it included many hot options (excellent oatmeal, scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes, and a waffle bar) as well as the usual cereal, fruit, yogurt and bagels.

I enjoyed being able to grab a cup of coffee during the day in the lobby. On cooler, rainy days there was always a big fire in the lobby fireplace as well.

I looked in on the pool and hot tub but did not have time to use them. They looked modern and clean.

The staff was always professional and pleasant (even when I returned from a night out at midnight!) and check in and check out were seamless.

I will recommend SpringHill to others who visit Vancouver, and I will be staying there again!

Room Tip: I found that the rooms in the rear and on higher floors had some mountain views!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ONGOLDENPOND2
loira74
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed with 2 children for 5 nights while my husband was attending a conference nearby. They had a full breakfast, with hot items, which was nice, kept us from having to eat out all 3 meals every day. The room was pleasant, with seperate living area and grainte sinks. Staff was friendly. They have a great rewards program. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. The one thing that bothered me is the coffee was bad, I mean undrinkable bad. I thought it was just me, but it was a concensus. So, I decided to try the stuff in the room, but it was the same company that made it and it smelled like feet, not coffee, when I opened the package. I ended up going to Tully's or Peet's everyday, and that added up. Otherwise, thumbs up....

Room Tip: Ice on 1st and 3rd floor. Kids liked the view from the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank loira74
Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The location is good. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was ample. A problem with the hot water supply was dealt with promptly. The room was nicely decorated. Check-in and check-out were easy and efficient. Towels could have been a little softer - they were very clean, but could've used some fabric softener. There were tons of kids also staying over the weekend, but we just ran our fan and that masked out the noise for the most part. Plenty of easily accessible plugs for all our electronics.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank SLPlovesPE42
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel with 12 other family members. (all adults) The hotel was clean, felt recently updated in some areas. The bed was very comfortable, not to hard, not too soft. The rooms were quiet, which was amazing because there were teams of young basketball players AND young hockey players all staying there that weekend! We appreciated the fridge and microwave in our room. Paper plates and plastic ware provided. The Continental breakfast was GREAT. Fresh, REAL scrambled eggs, waffle making station, hot oatmeal and other cereals, along with walnuts,brown sugar and raisins. Also good tasting coffee available all day long with liquid creamers. Very nice,large seating area for breakfast, including a nice fireplace. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We did not use the gym or the pool/hot tub, but looked in, and they seemed very nice and clean
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ak_kimby
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is a great location with lots of places to eat during your stay. The hotel has free Internet and the rooms are good size. Morning breakfast is a hot meal and quick and easy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business