“Typical Marriot Hotel”

SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous. Room typical Marriott room, I do prefer the blue color scheme over the browns. However on the plus is a mini fridge, microwave and a noon check out. Room is clean, sheets were changed at my request. Breakfast was nothing special with the typical offerings. Location is a positive, many dining options close by either a short walk or a short drive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank shermansj

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Hotel is in an area populated by modern low office buildings with large parking lots. The hotel is a couple of miles off the freeway so traffic noise is not a problem at all. Driving into the area, we noticed a good variety of restaurants; everything from fast food, to sushi, to Mexican or Pacific Northwest etc. Plenty of other businesses nearby too including groceries, banks, pharmacies. All this within an easy walk or a short drive away.

The hotel building and surrounding parking lot was neat and clean. The lobby and the adjoining breakfast area were also neat and clean. The staff was pleasant and courteous. We were greeted upon arrival and whenever we passed them along the hallways. The elevators and hallways were well lit and odour free. The room, a mini-suite was spacious and clean. The sitting area at the front of the room also doubled as a work area. On one side there was a small coffee service area with a microwave, mini-fridge and bar sink.

Further into the room was the sleeping area. The bed was comfortable and the linens were fresh and crisp. Sound-proofing must have been good because the usual noises (e.g. running water, slamming doors, people in hallway, etc.) one hears in hotel rooms, was missing. Actually, we found out next morning that there was a sports meet nearby and lots of tweenies had stayed in the hotel and we heard none of them. The room had wifi and wired internet, both very good to excellent speed and free; I was able to stream a TV show over the wired option without any issues.

Free self-serve breakfast was included. There were hot scrambled eggs and sausage patties, waffle makers, and the usual array of cereals, muffins, bread, yogurt, juices etc. Although very busy, the breakfast area was kept very tidy by a tireless couple of staff members. One in particular, an oriental man, impressed me. I asked him a question about the waffle maker and when the machine “beeped”, he searched me out to let me know the waffles were ready. He moved around the area quickly and efficiently, constantly re-supplying and cleaning without stopping.

We only stayed one night but we were impressed with the overall experience all at a reasonable price. If there is a negative to be had, the breakfast area was quite small for the number of guests. It probably explains the generous breakfast period, 7am – 10am on a Sunday, to help spread out the load but on this particular Sunday morning, it seemed like all the guests decided to show up around 9am and the place was bursting at the seams.

All things considered, the next time I'm in the area, I will definitely look at staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westcoaster14
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The property itself is nice, the staff are very friendly (especially housekeeping who do a wonderful job). However the breakfast needs to be redone completely. From the moldy strawberries, stale bread/bagels it was just a serious let down. The challenge we had is that every morning we left feeling unimpressed. The worst thing was the staff themselves were really nice and outgoing which meant this sparse spread was a management decision.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
AlisonHite, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

I am so sorry our breakfast did not meet your expectations. In the last year we have tried to add more items and selections such as fresh fruit, cold cuts with cheese, greek yogurt. I would love to hear more about what we can do to really wow our guests and make our breakfast memorable. Please contact me when you have time so we can make some of these changes for you. We do care about your breakfast experience and want our guests to see us making improvements.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years and I've never been disappointed. The rooms are well-sized, tastefully decorated, very clean, with comfortable beds and nice linens. the complimentary breakfast is really tasty and the pool area is always clean and enjoyed by my family. Service has always been top notch and the location is very near many restaurants, grocery stores, and local businesses.

Tip: I use Priceline's "Name your own price" bidding to get a great weekend rate, sometimes nearly 50% off.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nursebec
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Recently stayed here for a business trip and just have to say that it was an amazing experience. Great people and great service. Overall I think it's a great place to stay. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robin M
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Kids everywhere during our stay here. Kids sport teams should not be at a place that offers a free breakfast, it's just not cool.

Our check in was nice but the kindness disappeared the next two days. Housekeepers frowned and ducked back into the rooms as we walked the hallways. Not one staff member said hello, 15-5 rule guys!

I like this hotel but it appears the team here could use a vacation.

Stayed: February 2014
AlisonHite, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your comments and your honesty about your stay. In speaking with our team today it was clear we were overwhelmed and stressed about the volume of guests this weekend. We will talk in our manager’s staff meeting this week and will put together different strategies to use and implement when needed. Please contact me directly as I would love for you to try us again and experience the customer service and hotel, I know we truly are.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I got stuck in Vancouver WA during the recent snow storm and we got the last room this hotel had.

They gave us room 113 - which is a handicap room.

The hotel loby was clean and organized.
Our room was very clean and organized ( see pictures )

King bed was very comfortable. Towels - clean and in great condition.
Bathroom very clean.

They provided us with new toothbrushes and toothpaste since we did not have any since we did not plan on staying overnight in the Vancouver/Portland area.

Off 164th in Vancouver

$89.22 was our grand total with all taxes ( great price even though this was their last room )
I can recommend this hotel for their clean rooms and friendly and helpful staff

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor - hotel was full yet we did not hear anyone. We stayed in room 113 - h...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David A

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay during our Northwest blizzard. We had fun with all the guests stuck due to snow and ice. I hope you can come back and stay with us for fun next time.