“Good food, great price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mc Grath's Fish House
Ranked #261 of 699 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Turlock, California
“Good food, great price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

In town on business and stopped in for a business dinner. Friendly service, good seafood cooked as ordered and at a more than reasonable price. I had the Teriyaki Mako Shark and it was decent. I recommend!

Vancouver, Washington
“Too Many Holes in the Net for McGrath's Fish House”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

In brief: Great seafood restaurant decor combines with average-to-below-average food, skimpy portion size, slow service, and overworking the staff to produce a might-as-well-go-somewhere-else conclusion.

Some details:

Let me begin with the fact that we arrived right at the beginning of their last open hour of the night. I don't think this should make any difference, but it may have been a contributing factor.

Here are the good things about the visit, before we begin to dig: The decor was truly nice; the drink size was quite generous; the prices were not outrageous; the waitress, while overworked, had a consistently nice attitude.

Okay, here we go:

My wife ordered the steak with "all-you-can-eat shrimp." Steak: 30% gristle with nothing more than average flavor. For a small steak, that means that she needed to depend on the shrimp. Here's McGrath's definition of all-you-can-eat shrimp: You get a small group of them on the plate. When you ask for more, you wait 15-25 minutes for a small plate of additional shrimp. When you ask for even more, it is another 15-25 minutes to get it. Although my wife could easily have eaten more than the truly small order sizes, the restaurant was about to close, and the marginal shrimp weren’t worth the wait anyway.

I ordered what appeared to be a great choice: hazelnut-encrusted cod. Wow! I love both the nuts and the fish. Read on.

There was a joke going around several years ago that McDonald's restaurants, which at that time has signs like "Over One Billion Sold" over their golden arches, were about to go out of business. Why? Because their one cow was almost used up. I was reminded of this as I cut into the cod.

While the hazelnut encrustation was just as advertised, the cod inside the crust was paper-thin. No, that’s not fair. It was about as thick as a potato chip. All of it. I assume they took one cod for the day, used one of those deli slicers that can make a 6” pile of super-thin ham slices from a ¼” original slice, and made cod paper. I left very hungry.

We both got baked potatoes; both were very small. Although the accoutrements (butter, chives, sour cream) were normal-sized, we only needed a little of them to smother the pathetic potato. BTW, the potato tasted great!

The waitress’ attitude was nice but, overworked as I assume she was (the alternative hypothesis is that the was on a predictable, separate 15-minute break after each brief table visit), the service was painfully slow. This contributed to the 15-25-minute delays for each all-you-can-eat shrimp order. Each such small order took one to two minutes to consume.

I think all of these things are easily fixed. Maybe the restaurant, which has several locations, will begin to see things from the customer’s perspective and become a place to visit with consistency in the future.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StevePacificNW
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

McGrath's is a great place for tasty seafood. While a bit spendy, it is a good place to eat. You won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2013
Vancouver, WA
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Always excellent service and meal quality every time I visit this restaurant. Great atmosphere and location as well. I highly recommend.

Visited January 2014
Vancouver, Washington, USA
“good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

good food. my family and friends like this restaurant very much. Especially kids love crewed soup and I like the shrimp.

Visited November 2013