“Wonderfully comfortable and close to Boston”
Review of Beacon Inn

Beacon Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Wonderfully comfortable and close to Boston”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had tickets to an event at Fenway Park in Boston on New Years Eve. Last minute I decided to get a hotel to avoid driving that night. The day before Nears Eve, I could not find anything under $200 (obviously). I stumbled across the Beacon Inn, located directly on the T, two stops from Boston and a 10 minute walk from Fenway Park. This place saved our night. The room was big and warm and cozy, the neighborhood was quiet and they provided a refrigerator upon request with a microwave available in the common area. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable of the area and we would be happy to go back. If we got to the hotel by 3 the day of check-in, they provided parking onsite for a small fee. We showed up later and were able to park just a 2 minute walk away for a little cheaper. Loved this place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Solvang, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We won't be back to the Beacon Inn (1087). In Nov 2013, my husband and I visited Boston and stayed three nights at this inn. It seemed cool at first to be staying in a real Boston brownstone. The character and quaintness quickly wore off starting our first night. Unfortunately, we did not go far enough in reviewing others' reviews before staying here. Now I see that others have had the same (some worse) experiences we had - practically non-existent maid service, bathroom left unclean, trash not emptied, grungy bed linens, peeling wall paper, extreme heat from central heat system, and the owners completely cheaped out on the continental breakfast (applies to the food and the paper plates and cups), and room amenities. There are three guest parking spaces out back in the alley. The fee to park in one of these was $25 per day compared to the average $40 per day at most other places. On our last night, we returned from a day of site seeing to find the heat up so high in our room it had to be in excess of 80 degrees - impossible to spend time or go to sleep in a room this temperature. Opening the window to the noisy street below to let in cold, crisp air gave no relief. The one front lobby staff person goes home around 9pm, and an emergency contact protocol sheet is left in the lobby. I called the "emergency" number and reached a disinterested man. I told him I was calling from the Beacon Inn and he immediately told me to call another number - didn't inquire as to the reason for the call or anything. I called the number he gave me, thinking he must be referring me to someone who could help. Instead it was the number to the front desk of the Beacon - the one that reaches an after hours answer machine because the staff has gone home.... Good thing it wasn't a dire emergency! Since we could not reach anyone to help with the heat, we went down to the deserted lobby ourselves to see if we could find the controls for the heat. We found a thermostat and adjusted the temperature so that the heat stopped pumping to our room. Whew... An economical room is one thing, but this place is not what it appears - reallyi dolled up on the website and very misleading in comparison to what we found when we actually arrived. The photos on the website are clearly not recent - they made the rooms look much nicer. The owner needs to invest a little more money and service into this hotel. The fact the room rate is lower than most other places and the parking was $15 per day cheaper did not quite make up for the overall grungy atmosphere and lack of interest by the owner (?) on the phone.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, make sure your bathroom is attached to your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank C L
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
The Beacon Inn prides itself on being able to keep the charm and warmth associated to a private home or brownstone while away on travel. We are happy you appreciated the “character” and “quaintness” we strive to maintain. We however would like to directly address the other concerns identified in this review.
There is a full time housekeeping staff onsite which refreshes all occupied rooms on a daily basis. This service includes linen/towel refresh and cleaning in addition to trash removal and room upkeep. No concerns were brought to the front desk regarding cleanliness as they would have been dealt with accordingly and in a timely fashion. The continental breakfast is light and identified as such on the Inn description page. We are happy to provide this amenity which includes bagels, muffins, pastries, cereal and a selection of hot beverages. The plates, cups and utensils offered are such to ensure each guest is able to bring any food items with them be it to their respective room or out on their related work or travel needs.
Temperature is consistently monitored at the Inn and each room has access to a level of control through dedicated air vents. Unfortunately changing the temperature on the lobby floor by this guest did result in a temperature swing and we ask that future guests refrain from this action. Due to the location of the Inn we cannot control the noise generated by city life but have recently installed new, sound dampening windows to try and mitigate any noise disturbances. While some prefer the hustle and bustle of the city we are also happy to offer rooms facing the rear courtyard which offer a quieter more suburban like atmosphere.
There is an emergency 24hr phone line which is monitored and the Inn messages are checked regularly. Your experience is unique and has not been identified by any other guest however we have reviewed and audited the process as a precaution. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
As identified in the review the Beacon Inn has purposely and consciously placed itself to be an economical and high value choice for any travel or visit to the Boston area. We are happy to provide the option for cost effective parking at the Inn but often advise against it, driving in the city can be a chore. The Inn is also conveniently located just steps from the Boston “T” (subway) on the green line which can take you anywhere in the city.
The website photos are without a doubt the rooms located at the Inn and we strive to keep each room looking its best. Should there be a concern our host, housekeeping or maintenance staff are all available and happy to help. There are only 3 out of 25 rooms with detached, room exclusive/private baths but are identified as such on the website. In an attempt to keep this beautiful brownstone building looking as original as possible these 3 or 25 identified rooms have this option but the majority are equipped with en suite bathrooms.
We truly appreciate your feedback.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed at the Beacon Inn for a week from 14th to 21st October and loved it! A long trip to Boston from Auckland New Zealand!
After a slight hiccup re my room the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was fine. Exactly what it states on the website. Location was wonderful with a supermarket across the street & a laundry a three minute walk down the street and the subway literally right outside. My room was lovely & clean & towels changed daily.
Thank you to you all for making my stay so enjoyable. I looked forward to coming 'home' to my gorgeous room each night!

Room Tip: Would be quite a climb to 4th floor for elderly guests!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy K
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The first night we stayed in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Room and the second and third nights we stayed in the Symphony Room. I checked very thoroughly and did not find any bed bugs as I have read in previous comments.
The rooms were semi-clean...not spotless but not grungy either.
The staff was friendly and breakfast was fine. They don't advertise a gourmet breakfast, so there was no disappointment with the cereal, bagels and muffins that were provided.
The location of the Inn alone was worth the money. The Green Line is almost directly outside, making traveling anywhere in Boston extremely convenient.
I reserved a parking spot ahead of time and did not have any issues.
Overall, it was a good experience and I'd stay at the Beacon Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah P
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I reserved a parking space and was informed that i MUST park within the yellow lines or my car would be towed. My rental car didn't fit so I parked elsewhere. The parking fee was NOT refunded even though I was told it would be if the car didn't fit. I will not waste my hard earned money here again. The "breakfast" was laughable and they ran out of washcloths. We travel to Boston twice a year to visit family, and have NEVER been treated this way elsewhere. I will just stay some where else from now on.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rebecca g
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The building is very old and squeeky, almost haunted looking. The breakfast consists of cereal and toast. But Kenmore Square is a short walk away with restaurants and take-out places. But I booked a non-smoking room, and got a room reeking of old sigarettes. It was actually pretty disgusting. The only positive side of my stay was the helpful receptionist, and clean towels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We were glad our front desk could be of service to this guest throughout her stay, however there are some serious misrepresentations in this review that we would like to clarify. The Beacon Inn is a historic Boston brownstone built in the late 1800s. Our building features beautiful original woodwork and period details such as wide-plank hardwood floors and ornamental fireplaces. (You may look at the pictures at the top of this page and on our website for reference.) The fact that our charming hotel is "very old" is a selling point for most visitors. As far as quality of our breakfast, this guest checked out before breakfast service begins at 8:00am, so these comments are neither informed nor accurate. As advertised, we serve a light continental breakfast consisting of bagels, English muffins, and an assortment of pastries in addition to cold and hot cereal and coffee and tea available throughout the day. We would also like to point out that in accordance with local laws, our rooms are entirely smoke-free and we take violations of this policy very seriously. No one has been allowed to smoke in these rooms for many years. After reading this review, we immediately made a further inspection of the room in question and did not find any evidence of cigarette smoke.
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed at the beacon inn this past week. Let me tell you my stay was amazing! First off the hostess Andrea was the nicest lady in the world, helped me with directions around town, my room and anything I needed. Best hostess I've ever dealt with!!
The rooms were really nice, great location in town, very clean and the a.c was at a perfect setting. If I ever make back to Boston I'm staying there again.
Thanks so much!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mrobbins1
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
We appreciate your kind feedback and we hope to see you again! Our hosts are always happy to provide directions, restaurant recommendations, and more for our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#14 of 83 in Boston
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston
The Inn at Longwood Medical

Been to Beacon Inn? Share your experiences!