“A Friend Away From Home”
Review of Longwood Inn

Longwood Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I travel to Boston every three months for medical reasons and I always feel good
when I check in and Ronda gives me a big hug. Her warmth and concern has always
made it easier to face the unknown of my test results. When I made my reservation today and was told she was not there I was devastated. I'm sure I'm not the only one
who has found "a friend away from home" in Ronda. Please bring her back to Brookline and make it a home away from home.

Room Tip: second floor is quiet
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank friendship123
There are newer reviews for Longwood Inn

Reviewed 9 November 2011

I thought the Longwood Inn was a very nice place to stay and the price was certainly right. Our room was clean, and had an updated bathroom which was nice. The house itself was pretty and it was great to have convenient, free parking. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MHBPhilly
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Very quaint, indeed. Very near to the Harvard Medical buildings and the river/pond. The only drawback we had was the stairs to our room. If you can't do stairs, be sure to tell them!!! We would choose to go back here, however, as the hotel is charming.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Below I tell how I and my wife were treated by Longwood Inn receptionist and the owner yesterday evening.

I found the address and phone number of Longwood Inn on its web page online about a month ago. I booked a room for two for one night. When we arrived there yesterday evening, a lady in the reception office told the booking was actually for another hotel of the same owner. I said we were never told about that during the booking or after. All we knew is the address and phone written on their web page.

We were given three options:
1) Pay an extra $60 to stay at Longwood Inn for the night.
2) Cancel the reservation and get a refund of $99.
3) Go to the other hotel which is at Crystal Cove. The lady told cab fare to there is $30.

I told the lady it is their responsibility to pay for the cab fare in this case. She called the owner to ask the owner about it, then refused to pay the cab fare. We then asked the lady to let us decide what to do. It was about 4:55 pm and the lady told she will close the office and leave in five minutes. We were looking online for another other hotel nearby, and we were trying to reach a friend to crash in for the night. A few minutes later, the lady said we had to tell if we want to cancel the booking to get a refund or leave the premises.

We did not leave and told her that we want to sit in the lobby until we find a place to go or they solve the problem another way. The lady told she will call the police. I said, "Go ahead". She then said the owner wants to talk to me on the phone. The owner said that we had no place to stay in both hotels, and that we had to leave or he will send police. I said "Go ahead". The police came a few minutes later and asked us to leave the premises. So we did.

Now, you may notice that, above story does not contain any personal opinions or feelings. In fact, I deliberately presented just the facts about what happened, so that you can put yourself in our place and decide. If you think the way they book the rooms, the solutions they offer for an error, and the way they goodbye the people at their door are acceptable practices in running a hospitality business, then go ahead and book your room at Longwood Inn today! You may also check more great service you will receive during your stay: Just take a look at the other one-star reviews. GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank c j
123LongwoodInn, Owner at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

1. The person never stayed at the hotel.

2. The person never even booked a room at the hotel. They presented reservation confirmation e-mail stating the reservation was at a different location.

3. The person's story is not believable. The Longwood Inn's rates are stated on its web page and are higher then the other location. The person booked a room for $89.00 per night, and received a reservation confirmation. He arrived at the wrong hotel, we did not offer him a room at a higher rate because we did not have any rooms available. The person became belligerent and aggressive to my female manager. I made a decision not to rent to this person under any circumstances at any location and gave him a refund for the deposit he paid at the other location. He threatened to "Mess up" my manager and the building. At this point I requested he leave the building which he refused to do. I gave him one more chance to leave or I would call the police. He refused to leave I called the police and they removed him from the building. This is the first time in my 32 years of owning the Inn that I have to call the police for a problem with a guest.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I stayed there the 13th & 14th of September. It is conveniently located close to Fenway Park ( about a 10 min. walk) and also to Coolidge Corner (also a 10 min. walk). We met the owner and were thrilled to learn the history of the Inn. It is a beautiful building that is slowly being restored to the early 1900's. We are looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele862
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My wife & I stayed here for three nights over 27-29th September, and we'd have no hesitation in returning if we visit Boston again. Very conveniently located, only about 10 minutes (if that) from "T" station and about a 15 minute ride from central Boston. Also, although room was at the front of the Inn facing the main road, we had no problem with noise (A/C was louder than the traffic!). Only drawback was that our room on the top floor had a very unusual ceiling arrangement and I almost hit my head a few times, also (personal preference) the pillows were a bit too soft. Stairs up to room (no lift) were very steep from 2nd to 3rd floor, so anyone with mobility problems should ask for a room on the lower floors. Other than those very minor points the Longwood is a great place to stay, and as said previously we'd certainly return here!

Room Tip: Stairs to top floor rooms are very steep and narrow
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I spent four nights here in June. Overall I was pleased, it's a nice big old house that has been converted into an Inn at a great location within an easy walk to Harvard medical school, train stations, Trader Joe's grocery, and a few other stores. My superior room was modest but big, clean, and adequate, and the price was very good compared to hotels in the area. My only disappointment was that I booked a specific room on the second floor months in advance, and when I arrived they gave me a different room on the third floor. There were a lot of stairs to climb, although I didnt mind that much except for getting my luggage up and down. Also, the room was rather warm at nights and likely very hot later in the summer, and the air conditioner was somewhat noisy. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#10 of 84 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!