All reviews common kitchen fully equipped kitchen third floor coolidge corner shared kitchen no elevator back porch laundry room old mansion walking distance medical school fenway park minute walk corner room two blocks home away from home visiting boston
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is my go to place to stay in the Boston area. They have kept the Eastlake Victorian decor of the building while updating the guest rooms and bathrooms. Quite lovely. The beds are soft and comfortable. Each room is unique. There is a washer and dryer on the ground floor for guest use that comes in handy. Parking is free and there are two outdoor areas to relax in during warmer weather. There is a school behind the Inn with a large open grassy play area. This gives a feeling of space within the city. If you don't feel like dining out, it is a few munites walk to Trader Joe's where you can purchase everything needed to make a meal in the beautifully remodled kitchen everyone shares. Don't forget to bring your coffee grounds if you want cofee in the morning! The staff is friendly and quite helpful. I would call them directly to book the type of room that will suit you best.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I spent one night at the Longwood Inn in Brookline and found it comfortable, clean, and in a perfect location for me. The up-to-date bathroom is a plus, the beds comfy, the TV convenient,
overall cleanliness just top notch. I will return for sure. Management was very welcoming and efficient - both telephone reservations and on site person. It was a pleasure to stay and the parking feature made such a difference. All in all - AOK.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine S
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stayed here for a month while working at Children's Hospital Boston. Ideal location in quiet and safe neighborhood; 3 min walk to the Longwood T stop, 8-10 min walk to Children's, 5 min walk to Trader Joe's, CVS, and cafes in Coolidge Corner. Rooms were clean and adequate, but expect only bar soap and shampoo. Rooms are cozy (not giant), but good-sized beds. Loved using the kitchen downstairs, a well-equipped, clean, and a fun place to meet fellow inn guests from around the world. Laundry machine conveniently downstairs (bring your own quarters, but can purchase detergent from office). The service was polite and sufficient. John, the manager, was a wonderful friendly face and always willing to help!

In sum, I would definitely stay here again on an extended stay, as it feels much more like home than a fancy hotel. Don't expect to be pampered or luxuriate in fluffy towels and spas, but come here if you are looking for something practical, comfortable, and convenient. As another reviewer aptly put it, it's ideal for the "self-sufficient" traveler. I was grateful for this home away from home!

Room Tip: Rm. 31 has a slightly firmer mattress than Rm. 34. Thermostat in Rm. 34 appears to be broken, but was able to regulate temperature by opening windows.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank janaplim
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Great location. Excellent value. Free parking and friendly staff. Bed was on the small side which was OK for us at 250 Lbs. total weight. Would be a tight fit for larger people. Mattress was way too soft but OK for one night. Room looked like it had a recent renovation including the bath. The inn had lots of charm. The wifi could use a bit more bandwidth. Would stay their again when in Boston.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 29 November 2012

There's nothing wrong with the Longwood Inn but I'll look for another place next time I want to stay in Brookline. We reserved for a Saturday night and were told that we had to stay 2 nights and said okay. We arrived on Friday and the man at he desk said we'd havee to pay for the thursday night we missed. they had booked us for Thursday-Friday, not Friday-Saturday. He was nice about changing the reservation and we were lucky that had a room open on Saturday. We had asked for a room that wasn't on the first floor. The woman who took the reservation told us that the apartment was open and was up a flight of stairs, which it was as you climbed up from the driveway. The bedroom windows were on the street level and noisy. Luckily they had a room on the 3rd floor that was open for the 2 nights we needed. They don't give breakfast but have a kitchen you can use. The location is great, an easy walk to Harvard St.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
123LongwoodInn, General Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

There apparently was a misunderstanding regarding the dates when this reservation was taken. I did not take the reservation myself and I cannot say if it was the inn’s fault, the guest’s fault or a combination of the two. According to our reservation records, the booking at the Longwood Inn for Jarlan was for Thursday and Friday nights. Why he was told there was a 2 night minimum stay I don’t know. This is definitely not the case. We have a great many guests stay for one night only.

On Friday morning, after he had not shown up the night before, we removed him from our schedule thinking that he had decided not to stay and neglected to notify us. This has happened more times than I care to think about, even with people that have paid deposits in advance. I was in the office later in the day on Friday when he did arrive. Thinking that he had just not shown up I told him that I expected payment for the previous night, especially since the inn had otherwise been completely booked out. At this point he informed me that he had booked it starting on Friday, not Thursday. Since the apartment that had been booked for him was available for Friday and Saturday I decided to give it to him for those nights and not worry about Thursday night.

The neighborhood around the inn is fairly quiet. However, when he found out that the bedroom faced out onto the street he told me he was concerned about not being able to sleep due to traffic noise. I instead gave him a room on the top floor facing the back of the house away from the street. I also gave him credit for the difference in price between the room and the apartment.

I am sorry that Jarlan had to go through this when he arrived here and that he will not be back. We try to make everyone’s stay at the Longwood Inn a positive one.