“Graduation Weekend”

Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
California, USA
“Graduation Weekend”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We had a wonderful experience during a recent 7 night stay. The location and accommodations satisfied our most critical traveler. The staff was prompt, friendly, and gracious. I only regret that I didn't find this place when my daughter started college 4 yrs ago... it would have been my "home away from home" during Boston visits. Thank you, Longwood Inn, for enhancing a very special family trip to celebrate a college graduate!

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms offer a bit more space at a great value.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
connecticut
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Longwood Inn over the Easter weekend.  When we arrived Rhonda greeted us with a smile.  She took exceptionally good care of us while we were there.  This Inn was not only beautifully decorated, but was immaculate.  Our room was very large for two people and the bathroom was just beautiful.  It is very evident that the management takes pride in this Inn.  We have never stayed outside of the city before, but we will be staying here from now on. This is quite a hidden gem.  My husband and I would like to say "Thank you" to Rhonda for making our stay at the Longwood Inn very special.  See you soon, Rhonda!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Lovely property in a great location in Brookline.....but, some issues in the 'execution' here.

- Staff was not especially friendly at checkout - probably less friendly than a hotel, not expected at an inn like this. Maids argued in public in the hallway.
- Towels not delivered as the room was changed. Coffee cups left in room after our use.
- Common kitchen, with morning coffee - but no cream and sugar, for some reason.
- Matress uncomfortably soft, covered by plastic that was very uncomfortable.

Again, good location and property - if they can fix the staff and focus on the details, could be a nice inn.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GuidoHongKong
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Second stay and unpleasant surprises : the quality / size of the rooms vary a lot for the same price. I asked for a specific room 45 days ahead and did not get it or an explanation. Customer satisfaction is not a concern of Manager John, who is always busy with something else. Besides an old mattress there were only skirt hangers in the closet and John told to get them at CVS. There are better inns in the area, with managers in century 21.

Room Tip: Try the first floor and forget about 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RCGusmao
123LongwoodInn, General Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
The Longwood Inn was designed and built about a century ago as a private home. It was not originally intended to be an inn or hotel so the rooms were not planned with that in mind. As a result, rooms were made different sizes and shapes depending on what their intended use would be. When it was converted into an inn in 1947 what used to be several connected rooms used as a bedroom, sitting room and dressing room were walled off from each other to produce 3 separate bedrooms. Since moving walls to make all rooms the same would have been impractical, the bedrooms ended up being their original size.

We do not charge by the square footage of the rooms. Most rooms are roughly the same size. These we call Standard size rooms and are all the same price. Several rooms are decidedly larger than these and these we call superior size rooms, for which we charge more. Normally, we only book our Superior rooms to people who call us directly to make a reservation. We do not book them through Booking.com or any other booking agencies. Due to the fact that we were almost completely booked out when RCGusmao made this reservation, the only option for the first night of his stay was to put him in a Superior size room, which was only available for that one night, and then move him to a Standard size room for the rest of his stay. He was not charged the extra amount for the larger room.

If a person tells us he has a preference for a particular room we will make a note of it and give it to him if possible. I did not see any such requests in RCGusmao’s reservation. We do not normally guarantee a specific room, regardless of how far in advance it is booked. We frequently have to shift people around on our schedule in order to fit in other guests, which can be very difficult if someone who wants to stay for a month but has to switch rooms for a couple of days because someone else has booked the only room he can be put in and will not accept another. If we do change someone’s room it will always be to a comparable or better room.

Since one of the main reasons people stay at inns is to sleep, having comfortable beds is a major priority. We do not have cheap mattresses in the rooms. We also keep track of when they are put in rooms so we know when they should be replaced. The particular mattress that he slept on is less than 4 years old and is in good condition. It is a pillow top mattress which many people like. Others, however, find them to be too soft. He may have assumed that it was old because of the way the mattress is made. I don’t recall if he said anything about the mattress when I spoke to him, but I certainly would have offered to try to switch him to a different room if he asked.

Regarding the clothes hangers, we have wooden hangers in all of the closets with clips on the bottom part. He came into my office at about 8:40 in the evening and asked me to get him some regular hangers he could use for his pants. When I told him that the hangers in the closet were the only type we had he seemed quite surprised. I told him that nobody had ever asked me about this before. I suggested that he could clip his pants to the hangers but he said that this would not do. There was no one to cover the office, as I was by myself at the time, so I could not go out to get any (which I would have done). I told him I could get some for him the next day, or if he had to have them that night there was a CVS and a Walgreens nearby where he could buy them himself. He told me not to bother.

Finally, him saying that I do not care about customer satisfaction I find insulting. I spend a great deal of time and effort and very often go out of my way trying to give people what they want and need, as do all of the staff here (read some of the other reviews). If someone is not happy with something I try to fix it. It is true that you can not please all of the people all of the time, but we do make an effort. I am sorry that he was not satisfied with his accomodations at the Longwood Inn.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We just spent one night at the Longwood Inn and were very satisfied. The Inn is nicely decorated and immaculately clean. It is just a 2 block walk to the T station. We attended a show at House of Blues which is right across the street from Fenway. It was a 20 minute walk from Longwood Inn which proved to be just as convenient as taking the T. Our room faced the street and being a light sleeper, I did notice the traffic noise. Next time I would ask for a room in the back. The only thing that keeps me from giving 5 stars is that the water pressure in the shower was very poor, really just a trickle. The bathroom looked recently redone and very modern. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The Longwood Inn is located between the medical center and Coolidge Corner, and most of what you need is within walking distance. The common kitchen and bathrooms appear to be recently updated and are attractive. Room 1 where we stayed is secluded and very quiet with great lighting. The inn overlooks a park / school playground and has gorgeous old woodwork and mature trees. In the midst of a Nor'easter it was still very comfortable. Very clean, sheets and towels are a little sparse, but everything else up to snuff. Have stayed at three B and B's in the area and highly recommend this option -- you can pick up breakfast food at Trader Joe's or Stop and Shop down the street and store it in the refrigerator and you're good to go!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Vermont
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is my go to place to stay in the Boston area. They have kept the Eastlake Victorian decor of the building while updating the guest rooms and bathrooms. Quite lovely. The beds are soft and comfortable. Each room is unique. There is a washer and dryer on the ground floor for guest use that comes in handy. Parking is free and there are two outdoor areas to relax in during warmer weather. There is a school behind the Inn with a large open grassy play area. This gives a feeling of space within the city. If you don't feel like dining out, it is a few munites walk to Trader Joe's where you can purchase everything needed to make a meal in the beautifully remodled kitchen everyone shares. Don't forget to bring your coffee grounds if you want cofee in the morning! The staff is friendly and quite helpful. I would call them directly to book the type of room that will suit you best.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!