“Perfect place for Nice weekend”
Review of Longwood Inn

Longwood Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Was there with my girlfriend for the weekend for shopping and a baseball game! The place was perfect for our kind of weekend except that our GPS didn't show us the place first, just an story for a trip. The inn was very nice with the newly renovate kitchen, perfect for the breakfast! 5 min away from the trolley and 10 min from downtown in it. The cons is that the bed is not very comfortable and the pillow is worst, so if you plan to book this inn bring your own pillow but for one weekend it made it! Great place to stay and the neighbourg is really nice

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Seblavo

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was concerned about staying at a B & B with our children (ages 4 & 8) because they can be a little loud. I was also concerned with some of the reviews I read regarding staff, etc...However, we decided to stay here for Father's Day weekend to visit our oldest who lives in Alston (minutes away). Great decision! We had a corner room (#27). It was much bigger than I had expected. Pretty view of trees on one side of the room and a nice view of the baseball field/small park behind the inn. The room was extremely clean and spacious. We didn't mind the exercise up and down the stairs since we were only on the 2nd floor. If you are elderly or have a hard time w/ stairs, this may be an issue for you. The kitchen was very clean. The woodwork in the Inn was beautiful. The beds were comfy...one mattress was firm, the other double bed was much softer. I don't know if that is done on purpose to accommodate different types of sleepers, but it worked for us. The sheets were soft. I can't complain at all. The kids loved it. The room was large enough for all 4 of us. I really liked that we had a lot of room so we weren't tripping over toys the kids brought or tripping over luggage. I have to say we weren't at the Inn other than in the early A.M. and the evening. We kept busy sightseeing and walking throughout the city so by the time we returned we were all so exhausted we all slept great! We felt very safe. The Longwood was a very convenient location to Coolidge Corner. After reading some of the reviews, I did bring my own coffee creamer and Splenda and donuts for the kids. I think it was well worth the $$. It was clean, convenient, and a safe place. I thought the staff was nice. They do sit in the office, but what else are they meant to do. The staff appears to be quiet, out of the way, and busy in their office which didn't bother us at all. I had a question about the coffee pot and she came out of the office to assist me. No complaints here! Best part, parking was FREE! I definitely recommend The Longwood Inn when visiting Boston! Thank you for a very nice, clean, and inviting place to stay for the weekend.

Room Tip: If you have small children, room #27 was a perfect corner room with 2 closets and lots of space. Ha...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen_Garry
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Flat screen TVs mounted on paper thin walls are a recipe for sleepless nights. My next door neighbor watched her TV late into the night. It sounded as if we were in the same room. No one was at the front desk, so I called the first number on an information sheet that I had been given. They hung up on me. I called the second number. No answer. I called the third number. This connected me to an off-site manager that advised me to walk downstairs and knock on the door of the night attendant....not helpful. Finally, someone did get the woman to turn down the TV, but it didn't help much. The next morning, I asked that the owner or GM contact me to discuss. I was assured that they would be in touch with me right away. No one ever called. So, unable to sleep, unable to get help, and unable to at least talk with someone about my concerns. Also, there are no elevators. I could manage the luggage ok, but I would caution those that are unable to carry their bags up a flight or two of steps. This should be a red flag for the elderly.
I would have considered staying at this hotel again, if someone had had the courtesy to follow-up with me and to explain how I could be assured that it would not happen again. This is a quaint property, but was not constructed to be used as a proper hotel with adequate sound proofing in the walls. Even more disappointing is the lack of care and responsiveness of the staff, management and ownership.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JohnO60898
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Free Wifi, 4 mins stroll from Longwood T stop, Just one stop from Fenway, Only a 7 mins stroll from the Longwood Medical Center Hospitals: eg Dana farber/Brigham Women/Children's Hosp/Beth Israel and a short 4 min walk to Coolidge Corner where you'll find Trader Joe's, Restaurants, Pharmacies, Coffee shops, Bookstores and loads of stuff.
This old world Inn is in a safe Residential neighbourhood. I saw men and women jogging alone at night and early mornings.
And best of all The Longwood Inn has, for the use of all guests, a fully equipped kitchen, stove, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, where you can prepare your food and store what's left over for another time!!
It is a clean establishment with very courteous staff (Rhonda and John) who have worked there for years.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We had a wonderful experience during a recent 7 night stay. The location and accommodations satisfied our most critical traveler. The staff was prompt, friendly, and gracious. I only regret that I didn't find this place when my daughter started college 4 yrs ago... it would have been my "home away from home" during Boston visits. Thank you, Longwood Inn, for enhancing a very special family trip to celebrate a college graduate!

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms offer a bit more space at a great value.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Longwood Inn over the Easter weekend.  When we arrived Rhonda greeted us with a smile.  She took exceptionally good care of us while we were there.  This Inn was not only beautifully decorated, but was immaculate.  Our room was very large for two people and the bathroom was just beautiful.  It is very evident that the management takes pride in this Inn.  We have never stayed outside of the city before, but we will be staying here from now on. This is quite a hidden gem.  My husband and I would like to say "Thank you" to Rhonda for making our stay at the Longwood Inn very special.  See you soon, Rhonda!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Lovely property in a great location in Brookline.....but, some issues in the 'execution' here.

- Staff was not especially friendly at checkout - probably less friendly than a hotel, not expected at an inn like this. Maids argued in public in the hallway.
- Towels not delivered as the room was changed. Coffee cups left in room after our use.
- Common kitchen, with morning coffee - but no cream and sugar, for some reason.
- Matress uncomfortably soft, covered by plastic that was very uncomfortable.

Again, good location and property - if they can fix the staff and focus on the details, could be a nice inn.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GuidoHongKong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#12 of 84 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!