“Convenient Boston B and B”
Review of The Bertram Inn

The Bertram Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Dalton MA
“Convenient Boston B and B”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Best feature is the location, easy walk to the Green line T stop. Service was very helpful, room was fine. Breakfast is buffet style with a different hot dish every day. Snacks and coffee/ tea are always available.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This was my first stay. The place is delightful. Rooms are charming. Breakfast and snacks are plentiful. Very near the Green Line T. Everything was lovely and relaxing. They even sell Charlie Cards for the T at the desk. I saw an earlier review and wanted to note that our room and bathroom were very clean.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size. Ask for details. We stayed in a small room that had a very large, light filled...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stay here in a pinch when I am visiting relatives in Brookline . It is convenient and the price is reasonable . The service is inconsistent and the rooms vary from nice to awful. I also find the rooms tired , somewhat dusty and in general in need of a facelift . Good value but I definitely would not stay here for a romantic get away . Will stay for a quick visit when all else in area is booked.

• Stayed December 2012
bertramBrookline, General Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Hi Ruthlev, and thanks for posting a review for us. I was happy to read that you find us to be an economical and reliable last-minute option for accommodations in the Brookline area, but I must admit I was disappointed to read your opinions about our property.

Regarding our rooms, I agree that there is wide variation both in decor and size of each room, but I must tell you that our housekeepers are second-to-none, and keep our business clean, tidy and safe for all of our guests. While an authentic antique setting is not the first choice for every guest, I must agree with another reviewer who wrote, "The Bertram Inn itself was absolutely beautiful and was a romantic setting for our birthday celebration." You can always ask one of our innkeepers for recommendations if there is anything specific you need from your room, like additional privacy, an extra bed, or even a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries!

As far as our staff is concerned, I take full responsibility. I have hand-selected each and every innkeeper here for their dedication, diligence and personalities. We are all real people looking to make your stay more enjoyable, and we all have real personalities. For this I can make no apologies.

I encourage you to make the most of our property and staff next time you are in the Brookline area, and I believe we can change your mind.
East Orleans, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Over the past two years, my wife and I have stayed at the Bertram perhaps a dozen times, each time for an overnight visit to Boston. We like it a lot. The rooms are spacious, and the breakfast buffet tasty and bountiful. The "help yourself" coffee in very early morning and the cookies/snacks in late afternoon are a nice touch, and the multiple newspapers in the living/breakfast room a nice way to start the day. We arrive by car, and there's always a spot to park behind the Inn (for $15/night). All in all, the Bertram is a comfortable second home for us, used for our Boston visits. It feels a bit like being guests in a sea captain's mansion...which it probably was. Oh yes, and it's quite convenient (walking) for great restaurants in Coolidge Corner, or for the MBTA trollies to downtown Boston.

Room Tip: Stay in the "Library" on the first floor if you really want to feel regal: rich wainscotti...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Madison, WI
Reviewed 27 December 2012

The Inn was lovely and mostly well managed. However, I got stuck in very small hallway room, because I booked relatively last minute. The doors to the rooms have to be slammed when ins self-locking mode, and boy hey did my neighbors do that often. The hallway floors squeek and creek extremely loudly and woke me up every time someone walked by. There is a coffee machine (K-cup) in the upstairs hallway and you could hear it buzzing through the night and morning when other guests were preparing hot beverages. The hot beverages available 24/7 is a plus though. The room was overly heated, and when I cracked the window, then it was freezing. Despite these many little annoyances, the beds were comfortable, there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast selection was varied, so everyone could find something to eat. There were snacks and cookies through the afternoon, which was quite nice. It is a very short walk from the MBTA Green line. Overall, more cozy than the Holiday Inn a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Book early and get a corner room. The small rooms along the hallway are tiny and noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Lake Luzerne, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I brought my fiance to the Inn as a birthday surprise because he is fond of Samuel Adams beer. I took him to the original brewery which is only 2 miles away from the Inn. After the tour we went to Doyle's (est. 1882) which is the bar/restaurant that was first to sell Sam Adams beer. The Bertram Inn itself was absolutely beautiful and was a romantic setting for our birthday celebration. We walked one block to the T and found our way to the best shopping I have seen outside of Manhattan. We got a bottle of wine and returned to our gorgeous room and started a fire in the fireplace. We fell asleep to the crackling of the warm fire on the dark wood walls of what looked like an original old library in the mansion. The only negative was the breakfast, i thought it could have used some basic hot dishes like eggs or pancakes. Overall my stay was great and I hope to return to the Bertram soon.

Room Tip: Room # 3 is off the lobby so if you are a noisy couple don't pick this room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My family stayed at the Bertram Inn in May while we were celebrating my brother’s graduation from Emerson College and our time there was excellent.

The breakfasts were delicious and there were cookies and fruit snacks in the common area. The rooms are fantastic as the management has kept true to the early 20th century style furnishing. The beds were comfortable and although each room had a different palette, they were all excellent.

All of the staff members were friendly and frequently asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. The innkeepers also accommodated the many adjustments we made to our reservation as our guests arrived for the main event.

One instance in particular showed how much the Bertram Inn’s patrons love the place – an older couple agreed to switch rooms at an innkeeper’s request and didn't even ask to be compensated for the change. I especially have to recognize Astrid for taking such good care of us - she even offered a complementary treat when my mother had to change rooms.

I would highly recommend The Bertram Inn to anyone coming to the Boston-Brookline area. I’d love to spend time there again in the near future.

You can see the love they got on 4sq too: https://foursquare.com/v/bertram-inn/4c6ecf0ad274b60c03a5d40d

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#15 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,822 reviews

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!