“Depends on the Room #”

Ranked #1 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Depends on the Room #”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at there while visiting our college aged daughter. When my wife booked (several months in advance), she was told that it was the last room available for the dates we requested. I was concerned, as I doubt hotel operators follow the save the best for last mantra. Sure enough, we got to our tiny room in this well appointed New England B and B, and had one of the single worst nights....the heat was cranked up(we had no control), so we opened our windows to a very noisy night and early morning!i HOWEVER, Steve the very nice and on the case manager did cartwheels to improve the situation. Though it meant several moves, including one across the street to the sister property The Sewell Inn, we had fresh air and quiet from then on. Steve even carried our bags across the street and had someone repeat the action when we moved back into the Bertram.
The Inn is very well located and has a changing buffet for breakfast. All the staff was warm and helpful.
Every room is different and quite charming, as long as you choose wisely!
We would stay there again.

Room Tip: As the Beatles said.."Number 9, Number 9...." at The Bertram and Number 14 at The Sewell I...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linkeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This Inn has a unique flavor, the atmosphere is old-world and serene. Tucked into a quiet corner of Brookline MA, it is walking distance away from the hustle of real life, including restaurants and the public transit. From the top floor windows you can see the 'Pru' and skyline of Boston. The rooms are all decorated differently and some suites have fireplaces! The beds are large and comfortable.
The 'morning room' where you eat buffet breakfast is cozy dark wood panels with a porch or a deck extension depending on the weather. Self-serve coffees, teas, juice, muffins and a 'hot' option are available.
Only stairs to the 2nd and 3rd floors, parking on site. Not your generic hotel, plan to decompress during your stay. Not a good place for small children.
Bathrobes of the finest fabric for use during your stay.

Room Tip: Check the website to view the rooms, all are different decor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed in this gorgeous B&B over the time of the Boston Marathon. We stayed for 5 nights & were extremely happy with the Bertram Inn. We were met on arrival by friendly staff & shown to our room. The room was perfect with comfortable bed & lovely bathroom/shower etc. The Inn is close to a 'T' stop which takes you directly into downtown Boston. This was ideal for the Marathon & for travelling in & out. Local restaurants were recommended to us & we were just a short walk away from the shops/bars at Coolidge Corner. The breakfast provided each morning was wonderful & we loved the self-service aspect. Plenty of little areas to sit & read the papers & fresh coffee & cookies provided throughout the day.
Luckily, we were both unharmed at the marathon, as were all the other residents staying at the time. What a city Boston is & very moving how everyone pulled together. We will definitely return & would not hesitate to stay at the Bertram Inn again.

• Stayed April 2013
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This Inn is beautiful and well run. So convenient to the T, and therefore downtown Boston. Very good breakfast, lovely setting, superior staff. Rooms and Inn are impeccably clean. Bed is very comfortable.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a problem with stairs, do not choose a room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Lawrence
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Cozy, warm and inviting. A great central location to colleges, museums and the T. A beautiful setting with outstanding service. The morning brunches were delicious and relaxing, one morning we sat by the fire and the next day on the sunny porch. All of the staff were friendly and went over and above in making sure we had everything we needed. The whole experience was wonderful - I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 764SandraH764
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I've stayed at both the Samuel Sewall and Betram Inns on numerous occasions while visiting Boston. Not once have I been disappointed! I LOVE the quaint antique decor and delicious hot breakfasts that are served every morning. In the winter there's even a fireplace to keep you toasty and warm. The staff are amazing, so friendly, and now know me by name. In the summer there are beautiful flower gardens and you can sit outside on the patio while enjoying breakfast. The breakfast spread is outstanding - hot meal (had banana stuffed french toast last time), beautiful fruit salad, organic yogurt, english muffins, hard boiled eggs and the list goes on. I've stayed in a bunch of different rooms (all have super comfortable beds with very expensive mattresses) and have been helped on numerous occasions by the staff to find the right fit for the nature of my trip. I can't say enough great things about this place. It truly feels like a second home to me and I will continue to stay here and only here whenever I'm in Boston!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
North Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Third time staying here. When I have to get treatment at Brigham and Woman's hospital! It's been a year but right away the girl who works there remembered us and is alwayssss super nice!! The room again big nice flat screen TV private bath. Bed is like heaven best sleep I've had in months! Didn't want to get up! They always have a wide range of goodies and snacks coffee all night! I can't eat them bc I have celiac but its great for people who can! The Easter bunny cookies are a cute touch!! They serve a full hot breakfast with alot of different baked goods too.. Again I can't eat this but its a great selection for everyone else! Staff is very helpful!! They have alot of maps guides ect.. DVDs to watch. Location is perfect quiet area but a few min walk to DT brookline the T and right outside DT. Boston. Rooms are very clean. Nice patio outside to bad it was chilly but it us nice for warmer weather! Felt very safe! The only complaint I have which I said before bathrrom smells a little weird but that's just Boston water! I will not stay anywhere else when visiting Boston so close to the hosp and city but in its own quiet safe little area! Thank you Bertram!

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#14 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,814 reviews

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!