“Cozy any time”
Review of The Bertram Inn

The Bertram Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This place is so comfortable. You are welcomed like family. There are snacks out all day and the breakfasts are great. The location makes it easy to get around by T or car. Great choice. I'm a repeat visitor. It's my home base when I'm in Boston.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was a wonderful find for staying in Boston. The inn was charming. The hostess Dia was just the best. Made great recommendations for dinner was helpful We stayed in Room 8 a King room. The room was VERY clean, well decoraated with antiques, There were snacks, juice, coffee tea anytime. Breakfast was terrific... a hot egg dish, and a variety to pastry, fruit yogurt etc.. Parking was reasonable considering the cost closeby. We were able to park our car and walk to the T... we walked to Fenway which was only 15 minutes. It was terrific. We had planned to stay at one of the chains and as we searched saw this and decided to try. We will stay again.

Room Tip: We loved Room 8 and 10, both were king beds and we felt worth the upgrade.... it was an extra 20.00.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here with my son (in a separate room) in January 2012. We were impressed right from the first moment after our arrival. My room was gorgeous and my son's was lovely too. There is a lovely sitting room where we met up with local friends who were meeting us for dinner (our friends actually arrived before we did and were made very welcome with a warm cup of coffee and nibbles).
I can't fault the Bertram... the young staff were lovely, the room was delightful (blue, with a four-poster bed) and the service was top-notch! And it was a quick trip to the City (via the tram) and to Harvard.

Such a gem and will make it my base next time I'm in gorgeous Boston!

Room Tip: Both rooms I saw were lovely!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lindasydney1
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked this for the appeal of a smaller, more friendly hotel. Upon arrival we were told that Room 5 had no en suite, and whilst in the small print it said this was the case, for $681 for three nights it hadn't occurred to us that you would not have this as standard. The room itself was in need of decoration. The walls had ripped wallpaper, the rug was threadbare and the skirting boards had large scuffs. One of the bedside tables had a part of the front leg missing so nearly toppled over when you opened a draw. Speaking of "missing" this was the case with the staff, who never seemed to be there and at breakfast there was a note asking you to clear your own crockery away, again something you would not expect to be asked at a hotel.

On the plus side, the area of Brookline is a nice place to stay if you are visiting Boston.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here, avoid Room 5
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joolesv8
bertramBrookline, Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Joolesv8,

Thank You for bringing the conditions of the room’s care to our attention, As innkeepers we heavily rely on our guests to let us know when objects and parts of the home are in need of repair, as it is rare when we have the ability to utilize a keen eye for these details! We will be sure to patch the wall, paint the boards and fix that rickety table. Being an older hotel and wanting to stay true to the time period in which the house was built we try to keep the house as period appropriate as possible but these things take a bit more TLC than normal and of course break and wear a bit quicker than the newer stuff!

Room 5 is unfortunately our only room in the entire property that has this bathroom configuration. We try to make this as visible as possible for our guests when they are booking with us to avoid confusion. It is not in our best interest to surprise our guests with such an inconvenience. We will be sure in the future to remind guests of this aspect before they check in!

As far as our staff, at any given moment we are buzzing around the property keeping tabs on the operations of the day. However, our innkeepers are always available by phone 24/7. Whatever the concern, we will come running! We are sorry that you missed our staff. Many guests consider our staff as one of the main reasons they come back time and time again and we are disappointed to hear you missed out!

We understand that our way of hospitality is not everyone’s “cup of tea” and we are sorry when any guest leaves disappointed in their expectations of us. Please know that we would love the opportunity to have you here with us again!

All our best,

Bertram Inn Staff

Reviewed 17 May 2014

While in Boston for 3 weeks, I had the pleasure of staying at the Bertram Inn as well as the Samuel Sewall Inn due to a mistake made by my department's secretary. I moved between rooms quite a number of times during my stay and as a result, I was able to see a great number of rooms during this time.

The Service: The Innkeepers are on shift rotations, so this is not a small BnB by any means. I met a total of 7 innkeepers during my stay. Each of them is very professional and pay meticulous attention to detail. Despite shift rotations there was never a mistake with room changes etc. They were always incredibly accommodating. They provided change for the coin laundry down the street, offered me a place to store my luggage and a place to get cleaned up before flying the 24 hours home. The turndown service was always a lovely surprise every evening when I got home from work. The bed looks inviting, the lamps are turned on and the shades pulled down.

The Dining Room: The Bertram Inn has a sizable dining room with both large and small tables. Seating spills from the formal dining room into a garden room as well as an outdoor patio area.

The Food: The cooked breakfast changes daily so don't be too put off if you find that you don't like what is on offer that particular day. Odds are the next day's cooked breakfast will be up your alley. The daily offerings, however, are fantastic in their own right.

The rooms: In general, the rooms are appropriately decorated so it can feel like you're visiting nanna. Having said that, people who like minimalistic decor probably shouldn't be booking in here anyway. The house itself is old so the floorboards creak, as do the beds. The heating can be a little odd. My visit coincided with the transition from spring to summer so I experienced days when the heating was insufficient and then rapidly overheated. I am told by the locals that this is common in old homes in New England.

Room 2: Lovely and bright but there are steps leading down to the bathroom and toilet. Avoid if you have mobility problems.
Room 3: A dark room but very spacious. The bed is high but there are steps provided for you to get onto the bed.
Both rooms 2 and 3 are on the ground floor so you can expect to hear the foot traffic throughout the day and breakfast noises in the morning.

Room 5: The bathroom isn't attached but it is private and only 10m down the corridor.

Room 14: Large-ish room with a fairly large bathroom. This is a tricky bathroom to do your makeup in since the lighting isn't well placed but I love the layout of this room. The workspace in this room was the most functional - a desk that didn't rock when typing and enough space to use a mouse.

The location: I walked to work in the Longwood Medical Area everyday. Some days I didn't get home till about 9:30pm but I never once felt unsafe. It helps that this is an incredibly wealthy neighbourhood. The inn is 2 mins from Trader Joe's, 8 mins from the laundry and the food options in Coolidge corner is amazing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Have been staying here for a decade. Everything about this place is wonderful from beds to breakfast. Staff is accommodating and friendly. Very comfortable sitting room, porch and deck. Close (1block) to T, can walk to Boston if you desire (1 hour). Snacks available all day, major newspapers delivered daily. Less than 20 min to the Pike.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank johnbH5543DC
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We discovered The Bertram Inn in March of 2013 and have stayed there four times in 3 different rooms (our favorite is the 3rd Floor aerie). It is charming, cozy and so convenient to the "T" Stop. And Brookline has great shops and restaurants that are all within walking distance from The Bertram. We have family in Boston and travel there every few months - and The Bertram Inn is our top pick for places to stay. D&D

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 86 in Boston
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!