Larz Anderson Auto Museum - Museum of Transportation
Ranked #5 of 19 things to do in Brookline
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Just ten minutes from downtown Boston and nestled inside the 64 beautiful acres of Larz Anderson Park, the Museum is home to “America’s Oldest Car Collection”. These automobiles form the Museum’s permanent collection and are housed within the Carriage House, built in 1888 and designed by the city architect of Boston, Edmund M. Wheelwright, who was also responsible for several notable Boston structures like the Boston Public Library. The Larz Anderson Auto Museum also offers enjoyable and informative tours, with varied and in-depth discussions on the automobile and its impact on society. Aside from the tour, we offer four different educational programs that range from kindergarten to high school and cover a variety of topics from early transportation to automotive design. Each tour offers hands on artifacts and real life observational tools. Visit the Larz Anderson Auto Museum for a day of exploration and fun that will create lasting memories for you and your group that is guaranteed to stay with you long after you leave.
Montreal, Quebec
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

If you are into car history - this is the place to go. Even better - for a femme fatal like myself (I like fashion) - the display we saw on the w/e which was all to do with British made cars during the war time - had not just the cars - but also the clothing worn at the time. You can find out more information of upcoming events at their website (if only we lived closer - Italian week would be uber cool - http://larzanderson.org/

Visited May 2012

Boston
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Great little museum on beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

The auto museum is really nice, all kinds of old cars. It's an old mansion on beautiful grounds so it's great for a walk as well

Londonderry, New Hampshire
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great if you love cars!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I am not a car enthusiast, but I still enjoyed our visit to the Museum of Transportation. It's interesting to see how cars have changed since the early days. The Lars Anderson collection is simply amazing. I did think the admission fee was high, but we had a buy one get one free coupon from the Entertainment book, so it wasn't bad. Our six year old son was absolutely bored- there is a kid's room, but it was closed due to construction when we were there.

The park surrounding the museum is beautiful!

Visited February 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun to visit for adults and kids alike.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This small auto museum is on the grounds of the Larz Anderson Estate. It gives one the sense of what life might have been like in the early 1900's. There are auto shows several times a year with various themes: Italian cars; antique autos, etc. Very manageable with children and the adjoining park with its playground is a treat too.

Visited September 2011
MetroWest Boston
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“America's oldest car collection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

My husband and I had our first visit to this museum today and were surprised that they were also having a special event..Swedish Car Days on the Lawn. So we strolled around the lawn and saw Volvos and Saabs, both old and new. We then went in the museum which grew out of the tradition of the Anderson's (socialites at the turn of the century) opening up their carriage house to share their collection of cars with others. The museum is on two floors and had a collection of antique and modern cars along with some fashion items to complement the car in some cases. There were even some antique electric cars. My husband is a car nut, so I will take his opinion that it was a good collection and he recommended a very good rating. I did notice a gift ship, restrooms,and a small "cafe". I also noticed a playroom for kids on the bottom floor, which may come in handy for families with small children. I did not look for an elevator..so sorry I cannot speak to that. However, I think there is access to the outside from both floors because the museum is on a hill. It should also be noted that the setting is pretty and the museum is very close to the Arnold Arboretum. We visited both on the same day.

Visited September 2011