“Unique, high quality, great food”
Review of The Regal Beagle

The Regal Beagle
Reserve with OpenTable
The Regal Beagle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 210 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Regal Beagle is a small restaurant with a very unique menu, lovely service, everything perfectly prepared, reasonable prices, and very happy customers. Everyone was walking out smiling as we were entering. We had several realllllllly good appetizers: Crab Rangoon Empanadas were truly memorable and the dates stuffed with gorgonzola and wrapped in bacon were a unique and imaginative taste treat. The scallops were perfectly prepared with fantastic butternut squash polenta, the seared tuna appetizer was a large enough portion to be dinner for a light eater, and the lamb neck was a fall off the bone tender taste sensation. We followed up with amazing bread pudding and all but licked the bowl. We plan to make The Regal Beagle a regular stop whenever we visit the Boston area. It was wonderful.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Imagine a giant, but still narrow & unbeautiful shoebox-- barely visible from the street, filled front to back with very happy people and very imaginatively prepared and plated foods. Do you love
your grilled scallops moist/translucent with just a bit of bite? You'll get them: RB--my favorite neighborhood restaurant--cooks any entree exactly as you requested. Vegetarian entrees or sides are done with as much loving, fanciful care as their bigger bucks plates. I've been eating here for years and Regal Beagle refuses to disappoint.

SO: it is always jammed. Come in at odd hours and you'll have a better chance at a table.

OR: Sit at the bar and survey the scene.

THE BAR+: Wonderful drinks, amusingly named. A good-enough winelist.

SERVERS: Smart, attentive, dandy.

Only ongoing downside--winter. No protective inner door--only heavy curtains shielding
diners from often brutal cold. Head for the back of the shoebox. You will be very
happy and very warm.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Three things:
1) Great service.
2) Creative menu.
3) Really good food.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

This restaurant gets crowded, even in mid-week. So, made a reservation for this dinner, my second experience at The Regal Beagle. The first was a fine lunch last summer. Very good. Dinner was a tough decision, among five serious and interesting offerings, and three light items (e.g. Mac & Cheese...but with an option to add duck confit). I choose Scallops with a pistachio brittle crust, and it was delicious and just the right size portion. Our service was attentive without being pushy, even though all tables were occupied by seven. Wine options were fine. It's a small, one-long-aisle place, and perhaps just on the edge between energetic and noisy. I'll go again. Coolidge Corner is always an interesting stroll.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Sister restaurant to Church in the Fenway area (which wasn’t a favorite), Regal Beagle does everything right that Church neglects: good service, fantastic food, tasty cocktails. Located in the busy & popular Coolidge Corner of Brookline, this neighborhood eatery is a must try.

Bread: A sliced white loaf and bread sticks were served with scallion butter. I’m not a huge bread stick fan but the slices weren’t bad.

Menu: Bar Bites, Appetizers, Entrees, and Sides. There were items from each section that I couldn’t resist but wasn’t able to order or consume all of them! We settled on the Dates to share (my mother has been craving them since they were featured on The Phantom Gourmet), and I went with a couple apps as my meal.

Dates: stuffed with gorgonzola cheese and wrapped in bacon
Four warm dates came stick side up, drizzled with a balsamic reduction. I’m not a bacon fan but I forced myself to try a bite without undressing the date. Fortunately the strong bacon flavor wasn’t as prominent as the sweetness of the date and pungent gorgonzola. The Phantom did not steer us wrong!

Duck Confit Soft Tacos: foie gras cider vinaigrette, Brussels sprout slaw and tarragon aioli
Two soft tacos came piled with green apple/carrot/Brussels sprout slaw next to a drizzle of tarragon aioli. The slaw was a bit overwhelming (I couldn’t fit it into my mouth for 1 big bite!), but the app was so good that I literally almost choked as I inhaled it.

Mixed Greens: molten goat cheese, roasted beets, candied almonds, pomegranate seeds, and Zinfandel vinaigrette
It’s hard for a salad with these ingredients to be bad; I loved the addition of pomegranate seeds to this classic combination. A refreshingly light & delicious app, just as I was expecting!

The Girl Next Door: Absolut Ruby Red, orange liqueur, fresh squeezed grapefruit, and sparkling wine
This is their signature cocktail for a reason! Fruity without being too sweet – a perfect “girly” drink.

Bathroom: The restroom was small but cute; the wallpaper is felt silhouettes of different breeds of pooches, like a children’s touch & feel book!

Service: Our waitress was friendly, engaging, and was able to make suggestions when we were having trouble deciding between certain entrees and specials. The GM stopped by to make sure we were enjoying our meal and he revealed that their Executive Chef Laura Henry-Zoubir recently appeared on the Food Network’s Chopped… impressive!

Overall: I recommend this comfortable neighborhood gem for brunch, dinner, or for a couple of cocktails at the bar. The menu is always changing and providing plenty of appetizing options. Prices won’t hurt your wallet either, with Bites/Apps under $12 (except for the $14 cheese plate) and entrees topping out at $25. I suggest stopping by Regal Beagle on your next visit Coolidge Corner!

The Perfect Bite: Even though I unwrapped my date so it was bacon-free, it was still so delicious!

For more photos and descriptions of what everyone in my party ate, visit my Facebook Page. Be sure to “Like” it!