“Good, unpretentious neighborhood dining”
Review of The Fireplace

Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington Street
Transit: The Green Line - C train stop at Washington Square is directly across the street from The Fireplace.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

An interesting and inventive menu which made it difficult to decide what to order - there were so many things that I wanted! In the end I opted for the mission figs with blue cheese and balsamic for an appetizer. I was not disappointed, although the portion was rather small. My main course made up for this, with a large portion of duck breast and duck confit. I had requested the breast cooked medium, and had to send it back when it arrived rare, but with the cherry port sauce it was delicious. The "small bite" dessert was literally one very small bite, bit a tasty one! Service was friendly, although I did have to ask for my wine twice after the food had arrived. Overall, however, a tasty, relaxed meal and I would go back.

1  Thank Robin B
There are newer reviews for The Fireplace

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went with a group for mid-day lunch on a Saturday. Service was slow and the food was not good. Undercooked and greasy. The restaurant is slated to close in December, and it shows. Skip this one.

2  Thank RMARYL
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I need to qualify this review with two comments. First off, we were told at the beginning of the meal that the restuarant will be closing at the end of the year. I've noticed a lot of closings aorund Boston yesterday and keep hearing that rents are skyrocketing. Sad to see and hear. Also, the other issue was the actions of an individual at a nearby table. Some guy was berating a women at his table, not his wife, we guessed maybe a sister, using profanity and it was just ugly. She got up and left, followe dmy the mother (I assume) and it he sat there sulking. It just made the evening a little weird. The serivde and food however were really good. We shared a cheese and charcutrie platter, which was good and I had the short ribs (Outstanidng) and my wife the duck two ways (very good). Overall we had a nice meal.

1  Thank pensfan58
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We walked the .8 miles from our Brookline hotel to The Fireplace restaurant which had good reviews on Trip Advisor. I can see why! Started with a delicious piece of homemade bread. Then I tried the peach/spinach salad and my husband opted for the watermelon salad. Both were yummy. I then had a half portion of lobster macaroni and my husband ordered the scallops. Mine had broccoli on the side and was delicious. Half portion was more than enough. It was served in a small skillet and was piping hot with big chunks of lobster. My husband said his dish was one of the best meals he had eaten in a long time. The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. Altogether a great evening.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Fireplace is located in Washington Square - my daughter and I walked there from our hotel. Very local menu - and quaint setting. In the winter they would have a centrally located fireplace and local music. Service was good, food was very good. Would be great for a date or small business dinner. Was perfect for a dad/daughter dinner.