“What a disappointment!”

Dining options: Reservations
Whiting, Maine, United States
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I was in Brookline last weekend helping my daughter move, and we were looking for some good, light Thai Food, when we stumbled upon Dok Bua. It had received Best in Boston 2011 and 2008, so we thought oh boy, we are in for something good. What a disappointment it was! The food was very greasy, and the peanut sauce was inedible. We did not eat our food, and the waiter didn't even ask if everything was alright?!? Save your money!

• Visited May 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Bustling, energetic, fresh, tasty food, friendly service”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is a great little place for quickly served, savory Thai food. Service was attentive. There is a separate large vegetarian section to the menu. This is not thje choice for a romantic dinner, but it is a great place to come with a bunch of folks for a lively, tasty Thai meal and dishes so good you won't want to share. .BYOB, too. I am in agreement with the other reviewers in that I have enjoyed all the dishes I have ordered, both the stir friy and the noodle dishes.

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome Thai Food”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

A 5 star restaurant this is not, but if you are looking for fantastic Thai food at an affordable price, Dok Bua is the place. The atmosphere leaves a little to be desired (diner-style furniture and a menu with helpful, if cheesy looking, pictures), but I've never had a bad dish served here.

While I'm generally a big fan of Thai noodle dishes, I've ordered from all over the menu at Dok Bua, and everything has been great. The drunken noodles are fantastic, and I've really enjoyed all of their soups, but the eggplant dish is not to be missed. I forget the name of the dish, but it's something like Spicy Eggplant. It's the first item on the vegetarian section of the menu and it is awesome!

The atmosphere is casual, it's family friendly, and it's BYOB, which is a nice way to keep the meal inexpensive.

• Visited September 2012
Hertfordshire
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Read the reviews and went with a party of four having booked beforehand. Shown to a table right by the drinks fridge for the take-out business (which could have been cleaner). I could see we would be disturbed every time someone wanted a drink. Given nasty looking menu's with unappetising pictures of each course. Waitress came over and shouted "Do you have a Groupon voucher?'"She seemed surprised we didn't which made me feel foolish! Looking around, the food seemed to be served on cheap disposable plates which looked unappealing. We are not in the habit of doing this but we were all pleased to go as this was not the evening experience we were looking for. To be clear, we didn't try the food and it might well taste better than it looked but presentation is important and this restaurant seems to be more of a 'tables in a take-out' place than anything else.

• Visited July 2012
Boston
“Worth the trip just for the soup...”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Yes it is very casual, but if you have traveled to South East Asia, you realize the best meals are always found in the most dodgy places. The decor of Dok Bua will not be featured in the latest designer restaurant magazine, but it just feels like we are in Thailand again. So that's a good start. Then the food. I could live on Tom Kha soup, and the one I had at Dok Bua was one of the best I ever had. Creamy, bursting with lemon grass flavour, perfectly balanced with spices, tender pieces of chicken. I also got the taro bubble ice tea and it was as good as a dessert. My husband got the green curry, which he really liked but for some reason I found it has a funny after taste: maybe a bit too much fish sauce. Our friend got the Som-Tum salad (Papaya salad with long bean, tomato and peanut). In Thailand it was called Papaya Pok-pok but that was a very good version quite spicy too! Well, a restaurant that has durian ice cream (taste a bit like cheese and onion ice cream) is surely authentic and we will be back for sure.

• Visited July 2012