“A great local gastropub”
Review of Matt Murphy's Pub

Matt Murphy's Pub
Ranked #16 of 205 Restaurants in Brookline
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Toronto, Canada
“A great local gastropub”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We went to Matt Murphy's for our wedding anniversary while staying in Brookline. We were attracted by the selection of local craft beers, and the menu which includes numerous seafood dishes. We started with an appetizer off the bar plate menu featuring salt cod and potatoes whipped with loads of butter and cream - PURE BLISS! My husband had the haddock on corn and potato chowder, and I had the seafood pot pie. It was my dream dinner! The scallops alone were practically the size of coasters, and the various fish and shrimp were plentiful. It was almost too big though - my husband and I could have ordered just that with a salad and would have been full. My daughter, who is five, enjoyed the grilled cheese sandwich with Irish cheddar - which must be the most kid-friendly item on the menu as our waitress knew right away to take the tomatoes off. At the end of our dinner, though we'd declined dessert, she brought ice cream with chocolate sauce for my daughter, who later stated that 'it was the best restaurant she'd ever been to!' Too bad it's not our local pub. Would recommend for an easy, upscale dinner.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank KarenM155019

Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
“Our local pub...”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We've been regulars at Matt Murphy's for years. It's a great local pub where they're pouring our drinks before we've even ordered. Service is especially good when Siobhan, the owner is around - she really knows how to make you feel welcome. Can be a bit more haphazard the rest of the time, and some of our friends balk at the prices. But as locals go it's pretty darn good!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Alice M
westford
“Second Visit - Best Irish Breakfast”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This was the second time our family shared Sunday morning Irish breakfast. We started with bloody Mary's which were great. Most of us ordered the Irish Breakfast which included blood sausage, Irish sausage, country bacon, skinny sausages, great scrambled eggs, then along side were about 3 or 4 different grilled veggies. It's impossible to eat it all but we all gave it a good try.
We love going to Matt Murphy's, lots of parking in the parking lot across the street. My son also likes the place because when he is NOT with the family, it's one of the "drinking" pubs he loves to visit. The food is delicious and well priced. Looking forward to our next family breakfast.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank westford
Hartford, Connecticut
“good food and menu”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

The shepherds pie is one of our favorites here. Lamb burger, steak and salads also stand out. All of the food is looks and tastes good. As for price, it is a little steep BUT the portions are very large and you will be taking home a doggie bag unless you are starved. Service can be a bit inattentive but friendly and obliging when it's finally your turn. No trouble about splitting a dish.The deserts are also particularly good, not the old "Kentucky mud pie" cliche. The place is small and can get busy. The atmosphere may be a little dim but the restaurant is very clean and cozy.

• Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I got free dessert”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I came here once and they asked me if I wanted any dessert. I said no, but they brought some out anyway, free of charge. It was delicious. I felt like a king.

Visited January 2012