“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #9 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Samuel Sewall Inn looks more like a B&B than a hotel but it features nice rooms and a great breakfast.

We were in room 10 and that's one of the smallest rooms. Beware of the stairs because it's right beside your room and you will hear people using it at night and in the morning.

The only problem that we had really was the WIFI. It wasn't working properly. It was either very slow or simply didn't work. I asked the person on duty to fix it and they obviously called the service provider to fix it but I think Room 10 doesn't get the signal very well. They can't do much about it really but if I knew that before, I would not have booked that room.

I also read that the breakfast was so-so but honnestly we found it was great. Homemade pastries and good selection of cereals. The only problem is the size of the room where the breakfast is served. Only 3 tables and your need to go outside on the patio if they have been taken already. Or you can go to your room...

This hotel is 3 minutes away from the Green line. (Walking distance) It takes 15 min to reach downtown.

Room Tip: In room 10 WIFI isn't working
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at The Samuel Sewall Inn while dropping our daughter off at Boston University for a summer program. Absolutely love the bed and breakfast the the helpful staff.

The bed and breakfast is an adorable house with very fine hardwood trimming, hardwood floors and adorably decorated rooms and dining room.

Samuel Sewall is very close to Coolidge Corner, which in adorable strip if shopping and old style movie cinema.

I can't wait until my next stop to the bed and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to our stay here but our ground-floor room fell a little short of expectation, with a settee not fit for human posteriors (I could feel the springs through the upholstery). The cramped breakfast room does not invite relaxing and makes a poky, cluttered first impression. (Sometimes breakfast is served across the street in the inn's more expansive and welcoming sister property, the Bertram Inn.) That said, the Samuel Sewall offers pretty good value for Boston. It's well located a short walk from the T and you can even walk to the MFA if you're feeling more energetic than we were. Service is friendly and helpful. Unlike many hotel rooms, ours was well lit for reading and I can't fault the comfort of the king-size bed that doubled as our seating. Our bathroom was equipped for a wheelchair, although we didn't need that feature. Tip: Check out the Bertram across the street. From what I could see during one breakfast there (including a glimpse of a baronial room), it offers all the benefits of the Samuel Sewall without the downside.

• Stayed July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Website pictures make rooms and exterior appear nicer than they are but a great location near the T, Fenway, and restaurants. Our room #3 and the common area are a bit worn around the edges. Bathroom was tiny. Very small seating area for breakfast. Breakfast OK with one hot dish, pastry choices and fruit. Nothing special but certainly adequate. Nice welcome and friendly staff. Rates seem high for what we got, but its Boston.

Room Tip: No elevator. Stay on main floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times while in the area for business and highly recommend it. The room I've stayed in is comfortable and had more than enough space - the bed, the shower, towels, bathroom amenities are all really comfortable.
The breakfasts are a real treat - there's one hot dish (blueberry ricotta pancakes, individual bread puddings, eggs with salmon, etc.) and several cereals, fresh breads, a fresh fruit salad, yogut, and 3 varieties of New England coffee. They also offer snacks during the day - granola bars, nuts, cookies, and more coffee and tea.
The Inn is walking distance from the Longwood Medical area and overall the neighborhood is great to walk in and there are so many restaurants a short walk away.
The staff at the Inn are always friendly - not just courteous but friendly - adding to the charm.
They have also been accommodating when I have had to make last minute changes to my reservation - they have responded quickly to my emails and have been understanding.
The rates are very reasonable too.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband & I recently stayed at the Samuel Sewell Inn for several nights when I needed to go to Boston for medical consultations, and will likely be back each year. The staff was wonderfully accommodating (thank you Julia, Irma, Dan, & Renee), breakfasts were homemade & satisfying, and the room was comfortable. Julia's recommendation of her favorite restaurant, Lineage, was truly a hit. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I was in Boston for my first solo trip on business, but stayed an extra 2 days for fun... This was my first experience at a B&B and would stay at the Samuel Sewell Inn again in a heart beat.. The Inn keepers where very friendly and helpful. The rooms where just what I was looking for; home away from home. I felt very safe and as a woman traveling solo is a high priority. Thank you for your hospitality and welcoming demeanor.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 83 in Boston

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!