“Great Convenient B&B in Boston”

The Samuel Sewall Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Tampa, FL
“Great Convenient B&B in Boston”
Reviewed 1 August 2008

My husband, 9-year-old daughter, and I stayed at this B&B for three nights in Boston. You can't beat the value so close to the city. The Inn is within a block of a subway stop (above ground here), on the green line which is the line you take to all the main tourist stops. The room (#3) was as beautiful as it looked on the website and quiet enough for me although I'm a light sleeper. Breakfast was great, but seating is limited when it rains at least. Rooms with fireplaces do have a bit of a smoky smell if you are sensitive to that. I looked at the sister inn across the street but was glad I chose the Sewall instead. It's historical character is a great addition to a historic tour of Boston.

• Liked — Location and ease of getting into city
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
florida
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This was our first time at a Bed and Breakfast and after this experience we can't wait to stay at more! The Inn itself is very pretty with flowers surrounding the property. The interior is quite lovely, well maintained and lets you feel like you have entered into your own private Victorian home. We were greeted by the sweetest young lady and directed to our room on the third floor. The room was huge, very tastefully decorated with period pieces, air conditioned (nice and cold!) and came complete with a private, very up-to-date, bathroom. The queensize bed was very comfortable, had many quilts and comforters plus numerous pillows to use. For dinner, we walked about four blocks to the cutest little town where old buildings have been converted into unique restaurants and shops. We had a fun evening eating and shopping! Breakfast in the morning was sooo relaxing. We had an ample time frame in which we could venture down for breakfast. The food was delicious, with a variety of choices from bakery items, to fruits, to breads, cereals and a hot choice (ours was delightfully delicious French toast). We could eat at small intimate tables set up in the dining room or out in the garden. We chose the garden and enjoyed every minute of it. Upon checking out, this time from another very sweet girl, she printed mapquest directions for us so we could reach our next destination. We are so glad that we chose the Samuel Sewall Inn to stay in. What an enjoyable and relaxing experience it was!

• Liked — The tranquility and very comfortable surroundings.
  • Disliked — They didn't have any diet coke!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We have been to Boston many times and stayed in a variety expensive large hotels...this time we were traveling on a budget with my son, visiting area colleges.
The Sam Sewall Inn was delightful. We stayed four nights in room 12 that comfortably accomodated 3 adults. The room was spotless with upscale touches... Frette linens and robes and turn down service w. chocolate treats. My son appreciated the little extras, 24 hr. snacks and beverages, candy bowls that were always filled!
I looked forward to the ample, healthy breakfast, with a different hot entree each morning. The menu was posted each evening. The food was fresh and delicious. I can't start my day without good coffee & the daily paper...I had plenty of both ( The Globe, NY Times, WS Journal). Nice outdoor eating area.
The location was great. The neighborhood was quiet. The Inn is within walking distance of many good small restaurants and shopping. The T one block away provided easy access to the Boston area. We were thrilled to find such a perfect place to stay so close to my other son's apartment.
We always enjoy our trips to Boston, but the friendly and efficient staff at the Sam Sewall Inn made it all that much more enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again (and again!).

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 27 June 2008

I recently stayed at the Samuel Sewell Inn for one night. For me, it was a perfect, choice, a lovely quiant place situated in a very nice area of Boston. A little gem. A change from staying in large impersonal hotels...

I enjoyed the little extras like coffee, great newspapers to read, and things to nibble on all day. help yourself in the fridge to juices etc...the breckfast was more than enough and I appreciated the lovely fresh fruit salad available also in the morning. The little touches are important to me and the Inn delivered on all counts...

Kristen the innkeeper was terrific as was Steve, who checked me in... excellent customer service... they were both very helpful to me....could not do enough. The room I stayed in was not big but adequate and spotlessly clean... nice little travel sizes of toiletries also in the bathroom......I requested a quiet room whern I booked online.. and Kristen kindly sent me an e-mail telling me she had moved my reservation from room 4 to 9 which is quieter, I never heard a thing....and slept like a baby.

The area around the inn is called Brookline..it is an amazing place, wonderful restaurants, great selection and choices... and shops to explore near Coolidge Corner..very affluent place.... The area is also very safe and the Inn is about 100 metres from the convenient T train which takes you anywhere in Boston.

I also went to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox play, it is conveniantly about a 25 minute walk from the Inn, very safe area again. I walked back at 10.30 p.m at night and especially on game nights..lots of people walking.

Do yourself a favor and stay at the Samuel Sewell Inn whilst in the Boston area..You will feel like a local and wont be sorry that you made the choice. I will definately return to the Samuel Sewell Inn next time Im in the Boston area...

Stayed June 2008
New York
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I chose this place because I had bedandbreakfast.com gift certificates and they accept them. Overall, the place is very clean and could not be more convenient to the "C" train of the Green line at 1 block from the B&B (15 mins to Govt Center). The room we stayed in (#3) is on the ground floor and is very spacious with a very fluffy king bed, 2 leather chairs to sit in and a desk (with free wi-fi). We had no A/C the first night and on the second day someone did come in to fix it and we were much more comfortable on the second night.

The "breakfast" part of the B&B: Very disappointing. They have a tiny little living room area where everyone is crammed in. Luckily there is a patio so we could sit outside, but I'd hate to be there in winter. The breakfast the first morning was pancakes and sausage and I couldn't even pronounce what it was the second morning so I don't know what it was. (We went out to breakfast at an unbelievable Jewish style deli called Zaftigs in Coolidge Corner). They do supplement with cereal, fruit and yogurt so it's not all bad. They also have a nice assortment of snacks out all day so when you come home from sightseeing, it's nice to grab some cheese or nuts.

Overall, this is an adequate place and will definitely fit your purposes if you are looking for a reasonably priced, clean, convenient place to stay.

• Liked — Convenience, Snacks
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
nowhere
Reviewed 26 April 2008

I had to run to Boston from Hopkinton, and The Samuel Sewall Inn was the perfect place to stay. It's a snap to take the trolley to and from Boston. The inn is filled with warmth and fun. The all day treats made me want to hang around the inn all day. The breakfasts are fun and delicious...apple cinnamon cheddar bread pudding, make your own waffle morning, and chewy chocolate chip cookies...yum. I truly appreciated the inn keepers consideration to provide the marathon runners with a plate of carbo-load nutrition for our very very early departure on marathon day. The inn is grandma's house with personal hotel service... without the stuffiness.

• Liked — warmth, casual, qiet, food
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I stayed here for Friday and Saturday nights while visiting a friend and her family in Brookline. I can't speak to the convenience of the inn to Boston, because I didn't do any site seeing there. But the inn itself is very cozy. I had one of the rooms on the top floor. The bed was comfortable, and the decoration was not too frou frou or cutesy (although also definitely far from trendy or hip). The bathroom was only adequate -- basically the size of a small powder room, with a fiberglass shower stall, but clean and serviceable. The toiletries weren't anything too fancy. The breakfast was tasty and ample, and snacks were available at other times. This wasn' t the most luxurious place I've ever stayed, but it was very good for the price. The service was also very helpful and pleasant.

Possible downsides. It might be tough for disabled or older people (not sure how they would get up and down all the steps). Finally, this didn't strike me as the most "romantic" of bed and breakfasts -- there weren't a lot of couples on a romantic trip, but rather some families with college-age children, a couple with a baby who was house hunting, a pair of women who were touring Boston.

• Liked — Cozy, convenient to everything in Brookline
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Inn at Longwood Medical
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#14 of 83 in Boston

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!