“Disappointing Experience”

Ranked #11 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 6 October 2008

My husband and I normally stay at a bed and breakfast when we go out of town because we enjoy the unique and "homey" feel of a bed and breakfast while we are away. However, we were very disappointed in the overall service and wished we would have stayed somewhere else.

We stayed there for three nights and from the time we arrived, the service was sub-standard. We walked into the B&B and waited ten minutes before walking around and yelling "hello" to try to find someone. Finally, a worker who did not speak English and who was just passing through motioned that she would get someone. She went next door to the Bertram to get a worker. The worker arrived, asked us who we were, asked for payment and told us our room was upstairs (room #6). We found our room and was up there about ten minutes before we came back downstairs to get a restaurant recommendation. Again, we looked around and found no one. We waited a few minutes and then saw the same worker go by who motioned that we should go next door.

We went next door to the sister property (the Bertram another B&B they own) to find three workers laughing and visiting in the office. I politely asked one of them if I could get a restaurant recommendation and one of them came out of the room and helped us.

Our room was decorated in antiques and was clean but had a tiny bathroom. I don't know if it was the size of the room and bathroom or because of the AC/Heating unit and the fact that you couldn't adjust the vent but the room and bathroom was either hot or cold throughout the entire stay. The bedroom vent also blows directly on you while you are in bed.

The next morning my husband went downstairs to see if they could turn down the air conditioning because we were freezing and once again. there was no one available. He finally found a worker who went next door to find someone who could speak English and she turned off the air conditioning (it was in the 50's in the morning so I don't know why it was on).

There are three small tables downstairs and a sofa in which to eat. There is normally one hot entree item, along with cereal, fruit, and toast , bagels, and a muffin or other type of bread. It's self-serve and self clean-up so if someone doesn't pick-up after themselves, you end up eating at a dirty table with their dirty dishes. Once again, a worker was not around to clear the dirty tables/dishes so the last morning we decided to bring our breakfast to our room.

There were two positive aspects to the B&B: it was close to the train stop and they had complimentary cookies and drinks available throughout the day.

When we checked out we wanted to speak with the owner to let them know of our experience but was told to speak with the General Manager (Astra) instead. We were told once again to go across the street to find her so we did. She listened to our concerns but made excuses for everything saying it must have been bad timing. Overall, we were very disappointed in the service and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The location since it was close to a train stop.
  • Disliked — The service was awful.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank rporta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2008

just back from new england stayed twice at the bertrams inn sister to the samuel sewall inn, 3 days at the start of our holiday and 3 days at the end, we wanted a place that was not all plastic and glass in the bertrams we found it, the staff were very helpfull and the service second to none,the inn is very clean and in a quite position, the trolly service into boston central(15mins) is about 500 yrds away, the self sevice breakfast is very large with a selection of hot and cold items, very big rooms with huge very comfortable beds with lots of antique furniture, a nice lounge with snacks & hot and cold drinks free all day, what else can i say but forget the big hotels go to bertrams inn you wont be sorry

10/10/ my marks.

• Liked — its position and service
  • Disliked — leaving it
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter a
Yarmouth, Maine
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I was raised by parents who routinely took our family to the Waldorf Astoria, Ritz Hotels, and others of similar ilk. When I found out my 23-y-o daughter had to have surgery in Boston, I searched all of the hotels and B&Bs on the hospital's website for a place nearby, reasonably priced (we're still paying two college tuitions), and "nice." I originally booked us at a "name-brand" hotel because we would know exactly what to expect there, but my gut told me the Samuel Sewall was the place to stay because, in view of the circumstances, we both wanted to be somewhere "warm and fuzzy." We were SO pleased with our choice. I honestly can't remember the exterior because we zoomed in to beat the rain (from the free parking lot steps from the front door); however, once inside, I took in everything: welcoming, down-to-earth, humorous Leslie (our innkeeper for the evening); the cozy and classy breakfast/snack area with complimentary coffee/tea/cocoa and cookies and fruits for the afternoon/evening; and then our spacious and beautiful room, appointed with simple yet gracious details (several fancy soaps and lotions, the longest fluffiest bath towels I've ever encountered, cozy robes, and a king-size bed loaded with pillows (on which to perch to watch the football game on TV). Not wanting to leave either the inn or the game, I ordered dinner delivered from the stack of brochures Leslie gave us. (Poor pre-surgery Katie couldn't eat, but I selfishly enjoyed my gourmet pizza). We slept well, and had to awaken and leave far too early. I helped myself to coffee and the granola and yogurt and muffins Leslie had shown me the night before. I also snuck around and peaked into unoccupied rooms with open doors to find different but equally gracious and comfy furnishings. Staying at the Samuel Sewell pre-surgery was wonderfully distracting and calming. My goal now is to return for FUN, and preferably for a few nights; I just need to find an excuse. :) Many thanks to Leslie and the inn. What a treat we experienced on a night filled with pre-surgery jitters!

• Liked — Reasonably priced cozy elegance
  • Disliked — No twin bed or 2-double rooms; however, they do offer cots for the larger rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank PsychAPRN
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 1 August 2008

My husband, 9-year-old daughter, and I stayed at this B&B for three nights in Boston. You can't beat the value so close to the city. The Inn is within a block of a subway stop (above ground here), on the green line which is the line you take to all the main tourist stops. The room (#3) was as beautiful as it looked on the website and quiet enough for me although I'm a light sleeper. Breakfast was great, but seating is limited when it rains at least. Rooms with fireplaces do have a bit of a smoky smell if you are sensitive to that. I looked at the sister inn across the street but was glad I chose the Sewall instead. It's historical character is a great addition to a historic tour of Boston.

• Liked — Location and ease of getting into city
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
florida
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This was our first time at a Bed and Breakfast and after this experience we can't wait to stay at more! The Inn itself is very pretty with flowers surrounding the property. The interior is quite lovely, well maintained and lets you feel like you have entered into your own private Victorian home. We were greeted by the sweetest young lady and directed to our room on the third floor. The room was huge, very tastefully decorated with period pieces, air conditioned (nice and cold!) and came complete with a private, very up-to-date, bathroom. The queensize bed was very comfortable, had many quilts and comforters plus numerous pillows to use. For dinner, we walked about four blocks to the cutest little town where old buildings have been converted into unique restaurants and shops. We had a fun evening eating and shopping! Breakfast in the morning was sooo relaxing. We had an ample time frame in which we could venture down for breakfast. The food was delicious, with a variety of choices from bakery items, to fruits, to breads, cereals and a hot choice (ours was delightfully delicious French toast). We could eat at small intimate tables set up in the dining room or out in the garden. We chose the garden and enjoyed every minute of it. Upon checking out, this time from another very sweet girl, she printed mapquest directions for us so we could reach our next destination. We are so glad that we chose the Samuel Sewall Inn to stay in. What an enjoyable and relaxing experience it was!

• Liked — The tranquility and very comfortable surroundings.
  • Disliked — They didn't have any diet coke!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We have been to Boston many times and stayed in a variety expensive large hotels...this time we were traveling on a budget with my son, visiting area colleges.
The Sam Sewall Inn was delightful. We stayed four nights in room 12 that comfortably accomodated 3 adults. The room was spotless with upscale touches... Frette linens and robes and turn down service w. chocolate treats. My son appreciated the little extras, 24 hr. snacks and beverages, candy bowls that were always filled!
I looked forward to the ample, healthy breakfast, with a different hot entree each morning. The menu was posted each evening. The food was fresh and delicious. I can't start my day without good coffee & the daily paper...I had plenty of both ( The Globe, NY Times, WS Journal). Nice outdoor eating area.
The location was great. The neighborhood was quiet. The Inn is within walking distance of many good small restaurants and shopping. The T one block away provided easy access to the Boston area. We were thrilled to find such a perfect place to stay so close to my other son's apartment.
We always enjoy our trips to Boston, but the friendly and efficient staff at the Sam Sewall Inn made it all that much more enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again (and again!).

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 27 June 2008

I recently stayed at the Samuel Sewell Inn for one night. For me, it was a perfect, choice, a lovely quiant place situated in a very nice area of Boston. A little gem. A change from staying in large impersonal hotels...

I enjoyed the little extras like coffee, great newspapers to read, and things to nibble on all day. help yourself in the fridge to juices etc...the breckfast was more than enough and I appreciated the lovely fresh fruit salad available also in the morning. The little touches are important to me and the Inn delivered on all counts...

Kristen the innkeeper was terrific as was Steve, who checked me in... excellent customer service... they were both very helpful to me....could not do enough. The room I stayed in was not big but adequate and spotlessly clean... nice little travel sizes of toiletries also in the bathroom......I requested a quiet room whern I booked online.. and Kristen kindly sent me an e-mail telling me she had moved my reservation from room 4 to 9 which is quieter, I never heard a thing....and slept like a baby.

The area around the inn is called Brookline..it is an amazing place, wonderful restaurants, great selection and choices... and shops to explore near Coolidge Corner..very affluent place.... The area is also very safe and the Inn is about 100 metres from the convenient T train which takes you anywhere in Boston.

I also went to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox play, it is conveniantly about a 25 minute walk from the Inn, very safe area again. I walked back at 10.30 p.m at night and especially on game nights..lots of people walking.

Do yourself a favor and stay at the Samuel Sewell Inn whilst in the Boston area..You will feel like a local and wont be sorry that you made the choice. I will definately return to the Samuel Sewell Inn next time Im in the Boston area...

Stayed June 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Inn at Longwood Medical
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#13 of 83 in Boston

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!