“Comfy, convenient, and friendly.”

The Samuel Sewall Inn
Ranked #8 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights visiting our daughter for her birthday. Coolidge Corners is a great area and public transportation is nearby. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable. The bathroom was nice but small. We enjoyed the morning breakfasts. We definitely will return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2008

Tried the Samuel Sewall for 2 nights based on Trip Advisor reviews and were pleased. Pleasant clean room, comfortable bed. Sense of peacefullness about the place. When we arrived, a sign at the check-in desk said to call the tel. number of the sister inn (Bertram) across the street. Innkeeper walked over immediately and was very pleasant and professional, showed us to our room and made sure we were happy with it. Room temperature was good, but was controlled centrally, however we did not need to request it be changed. Breakfast was great the next morning. Older upscale crowd, 40's -60's. Also enjoyed they had water and juice available 24x7. Prices have apparently recently come down and are very reasonable at the moment. [We paid a higher price - made reservations before the Wall Street crash, but nevertheless OK.]

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Samuel Sewall Inn for our honeymoon and it was wonderful! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Our room was on the first floor yet was very private. It was my first B&B experience and I loved it! They also had a complimentary breakfast that was different every day and snacks throughout the entire day. It felt like home. The location is about a block away from the tram that can get you anywhere in the city. We would definitely stay there again and would recommend anyone to stay there as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmjboo
Reviewed 6 October 2008

My husband and I normally stay at a bed and breakfast when we go out of town because we enjoy the unique and "homey" feel of a bed and breakfast while we are away. However, we were very disappointed in the overall service and wished we would have stayed somewhere else.

We stayed there for three nights and from the time we arrived, the service was sub-standard. We walked into the B&B and waited ten minutes before walking around and yelling "hello" to try to find someone. Finally, a worker who did not speak English and who was just passing through motioned that she would get someone. She went next door to the Bertram to get a worker. The worker arrived, asked us who we were, asked for payment and told us our room was upstairs (room #6). We found our room and was up there about ten minutes before we came back downstairs to get a restaurant recommendation. Again, we looked around and found no one. We waited a few minutes and then saw the same worker go by who motioned that we should go next door.

We went next door to the sister property (the Bertram another B&B they own) to find three workers laughing and visiting in the office. I politely asked one of them if I could get a restaurant recommendation and one of them came out of the room and helped us.

Our room was decorated in antiques and was clean but had a tiny bathroom. I don't know if it was the size of the room and bathroom or because of the AC/Heating unit and the fact that you couldn't adjust the vent but the room and bathroom was either hot or cold throughout the entire stay. The bedroom vent also blows directly on you while you are in bed.

The next morning my husband went downstairs to see if they could turn down the air conditioning because we were freezing and once again. there was no one available. He finally found a worker who went next door to find someone who could speak English and she turned off the air conditioning (it was in the 50's in the morning so I don't know why it was on).

There are three small tables downstairs and a sofa in which to eat. There is normally one hot entree item, along with cereal, fruit, and toast , bagels, and a muffin or other type of bread. It's self-serve and self clean-up so if someone doesn't pick-up after themselves, you end up eating at a dirty table with their dirty dishes. Once again, a worker was not around to clear the dirty tables/dishes so the last morning we decided to bring our breakfast to our room.

There were two positive aspects to the B&B: it was close to the train stop and they had complimentary cookies and drinks available throughout the day.

When we checked out we wanted to speak with the owner to let them know of our experience but was told to speak with the General Manager (Astra) instead. We were told once again to go across the street to find her so we did. She listened to our concerns but made excuses for everything saying it must have been bad timing. Overall, we were very disappointed in the service and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rporta
Reviewed 24 September 2008

just back from new england stayed twice at the bertrams inn sister to the samuel sewall inn, 3 days at the start of our holiday and 3 days at the end, we wanted a place that was not all plastic and glass in the bertrams we found it, the staff were very helpfull and the service second to none,the inn is very clean and in a quite position, the trolly service into boston central(15mins) is about 500 yrds away, the self sevice breakfast is very large with a selection of hot and cold items, very big rooms with huge very comfortable beds with lots of antique furniture, a nice lounge with snacks & hot and cold drinks free all day, what else can i say but forget the big hotels go to bertrams inn you wont be sorry

10/10/ my marks.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter a
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I was raised by parents who routinely took our family to the Waldorf Astoria, Ritz Hotels, and others of similar ilk. When I found out my 23-y-o daughter had to have surgery in Boston, I searched all of the hotels and B&Bs on the hospital's website for a place nearby, reasonably priced (we're still paying two college tuitions), and "nice." I originally booked us at a "name-brand" hotel because we would know exactly what to expect there, but my gut told me the Samuel Sewall was the place to stay because, in view of the circumstances, we both wanted to be somewhere "warm and fuzzy." We were SO pleased with our choice. I honestly can't remember the exterior because we zoomed in to beat the rain (from the free parking lot steps from the front door); however, once inside, I took in everything: welcoming, down-to-earth, humorous Leslie (our innkeeper for the evening); the cozy and classy breakfast/snack area with complimentary coffee/tea/cocoa and cookies and fruits for the afternoon/evening; and then our spacious and beautiful room, appointed with simple yet gracious details (several fancy soaps and lotions, the longest fluffiest bath towels I've ever encountered, cozy robes, and a king-size bed loaded with pillows (on which to perch to watch the football game on TV). Not wanting to leave either the inn or the game, I ordered dinner delivered from the stack of brochures Leslie gave us. (Poor pre-surgery Katie couldn't eat, but I selfishly enjoyed my gourmet pizza). We slept well, and had to awaken and leave far too early. I helped myself to coffee and the granola and yogurt and muffins Leslie had shown me the night before. I also snuck around and peaked into unoccupied rooms with open doors to find different but equally gracious and comfy furnishings. Staying at the Samuel Sewell pre-surgery was wonderfully distracting and calming. My goal now is to return for FUN, and preferably for a few nights; I just need to find an excuse. :) Many thanks to Leslie and the inn. What a treat we experienced on a night filled with pre-surgery jitters!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PsychAPRN
Reviewed 1 August 2008

My husband, 9-year-old daughter, and I stayed at this B&B for three nights in Boston. You can't beat the value so close to the city. The Inn is within a block of a subway stop (above ground here), on the green line which is the line you take to all the main tourist stops. The room (#3) was as beautiful as it looked on the website and quiet enough for me although I'm a light sleeper. Breakfast was great, but seating is limited when it rains at least. Rooms with fireplaces do have a bit of a smoky smell if you are sensitive to that. I looked at the sister inn across the street but was glad I chose the Sewall instead. It's historical character is a great addition to a historic tour of Boston.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 84 in Boston
The Bertram Inn
#2 of 11 in Brookline

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!