“Great pub food, but loud”
Review of The Publick House

The Publick House
Ranked #9 of 208 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The food was great. The crab cakes are to die for, the risotto is awesome, and they have beers from all over the world. The Publick House would get a 5 star for me if not for the loud music. We could barely hear each other. Note that the place can be easily packed and that there are 4 or 5 tables where you can sit outside.

1  Thank Bitien

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went with friends and the menu allowed us to order all kinds of comfort food (during one of our frigid spells), along with interesting cider, beer, and ales.
The waitress was extremely accommodating and friendly.
--so glad that this restaurant is in my neighborhood!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had an early dinner here, and were very pleased with the food and the service. The Belgian beers available on tap were absolutely outstanding.
This is not a fancy place at all, but cozy and done up as an abbey.
I had the mussels and frites. A huge portion that I could not finish; they were very good. The others in my group had sandwiches, which were good as well.
This is a ways outside of Boston, but easily accessible via subway.
We had a fine time here.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Went to Publick house today for lunch. The food was excellent. My wife got the harvest salad, while I ordered the buffalo chicken sandwich. We ordered chicken fingers with fries for our son off of the kids menu. The food came out relatively quickly, although the restaurant was essentially empty at this point. The food was excellent, exactly what you expect from "gastro-pub" food, quality ingredient prepared in interesting ways. The portions were large (not overly so for the adult entrees) and the kids meal was huge, more than enough for a 10-12 year old child. The only downside was the very spotty service. During meal service our server was occasionally attentive but when we received our bill we were double charged for just about everything, which even a cursory glance on the server's part would have resolved. We let her know that this was an issue and she took it back. Under normal circumstances I think it would have been reasonable to get the revised bill back within a few minutes. However, this process along with payment took over 40 minutes!! Our server consistently passed by and ignored our efforts to get her attention. The restaurant was quite busy at this point so some level of slowing of service is expected but in the end, the best way to clear tables is to help people pay quickly! In addition, they appear to have a payment system with state of the art technology from 1945, being unable to split a check up OR even charge items separately off of a common bill. We were left with having to provide exact numbers for her to charge which was silly as it messed up our calculation of tax and tip. I find this to be ridiculous as it is just as easy to type in the exact value of entrees/drinks into the computer as to type in an arbitrary amount. Overall their food is great and we'll probably return but with the amount of competition in that area for patrons, they better shape up on the service side or they will just get passed over for other excellent choices in the area.

1  Thank travelingman979
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Incredible food, ridiculous beer selection. Service has been spotty at times, but I still love it. Not to be missed!