“A few issues...”

El Centro
Ranked #90 of 213 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all, this place is pretty small. There were several groups of 6 people, and it felt like they took up half the restaurant. It's also apparently fairly family friendly- arriving at 7pm on a Friday, there were 3 tables with children. The hostess stand is in the back, and you need to go back there to request a table (this was not obvious to us right away). There was about a 30 min wait, so we waited at the small bar area. We thought we'd get a drink while we waited. There were 3 or 4 waitresses, all buzzing around. They seemed so engrossed in what they were doing, they didn't notice us standing confused at the front door, or later, trying to get their attention at the bar. When we finally flagged someone down, I ordered the watermelon sangria off the menu, but the waitress told me they didn't have it. I pointed to it on the menu. She told me it was seasonal (not marked anywhere). I got the white sangria instead, and it was fine.
While waiting, we noticed some empty tables. They remained empty for 10+ minutes, even though there were people waiting. The place doesn't advertise that they take reservations, but it seemed that people in front of us had called in on their way over and gotten their name on the list. And yet they had to wait 10 minutes to be seated at a table that had been empty the whole time. Very strange.
Finally we sat. The menu looks good. It has several vegetarian things (and a few vegan options) marked. We split the tamal appetizer, which was delicious. My friend ordered the flautas with chicken, which he said were really good. I got the corn and asparagus enchilada (which comes with rice and beans, even though the menu doesn't say so). The waitress checked if I was a vegetarian, and told me she'd give me the green sauce (I'm assuming red wasn't vegetarian). It was tasty, but halfway through I found a small (maybe 1/2 inch) piece of chicken in the meal. Not cool.
All in all, I feel very mixed about this place. It was pretty tasty, and tried to be good for vegetarians, but ultimately had some pretty sizable issues.