“Very comfortable, felt like grandmas house, location is supreme.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookline
Anthony's Town House
Ranked #8 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Willow Grove
“Very comfortable, felt like grandmas house, location is supreme.”
Reviewed 15 April 2009

The location was fabulous, getting on the subway was just outside the door. The staff was knowledgable and available for directions ect. The decor is fitting with the old brownstone, very victorian. The downside was that parking was on the street a few blocks up.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Anrsn1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Newark, DE
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I absolutely LOVED this house. The price is very affordable, and the rooms are absolutely beautiful. I would recommend this to anyone who is in the area, businessmen, couples, etc. There are televisions in the rooms, a microwave downstairs, and a fridge on each floor. The rooms were very large, extremely clean, and very nicely decorated. We had a walk-in closet in our room. Honestly, it felt more like a bed and breakfast, except that they didn't serve breakfast and the rooms weren't as cramped.

• Liked — The cleanliness and the decor
  • Disliked — Arthur
  • Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alfalphad
Los Angeles, Ca.
Reviewed 26 June 2008

My experience started with Barbara who did all see could do to let me stay at her bed and breakfast so that I could see an sick friend.I got my dates, and I was thrilled given that the reviews were so great... but then........

I arrived in Boston, and there was a short street change. When I spoke to Art, he gave me instructions, but I could not line up what he was saying. He became impatient, and finally decided to come get me in his car. I was only a few short blocks away..... Had he been more patient, I could have gotten there, but, it was nice that he came to pick me up.

As we arrived at the Town House, I asked if my friend who is in a wheelchair could come into the house to help me with my computer that had crashed. Art not knowing the problem insisted he could fix it, dropped everything and demanded to see my computer, and after 15-20 minutes realized that he could not fix it.... told me to give it to my friend. Art, who is the husband of this duo became agitated. He told me he could fix my computer, closed up the computer, told me to sit in the parlour, and his attitude changed. I felt very very uncomfortable at this point, and I was their client.

I went to the parlour room, a room that was nice but covered in plastic... a way people treated furniture back in the 50s... not today.. but ok... I sat. I was given some simple form to fill out, and then I as asked how I would pay, ------------they accept cash, cash , and cash.... I had cash ready, so I paid him the sum for 4 nights less my deposit and we were good, until I talked to my friends. I was given a key, told my room was two flights up, and then he disappeared.

This hotel has no handicap access in or out, and nothing inside. All rooms are some two flights up and beyond. Everytime I would see these people I would get a weird stare... People would stop me and ask about breakfast, or what about this or that? Given that I had been in Europe ,many time, the common bathroom was not a problem. I would try to help others with their stay here, as I could see that perhaps they were not as amused by it all. The townhouse was very large, very clean, and over decorated but fine for the moment. It was clearly outdated in style.

My friends after we all talked, decided that I should go down to the south part of Boston into Hingham, and so on the evening of my second night when I saw Barbara around, I went to her and told her that due to the circumstances that I had to deal with, I would not be staying my last night, and I wanted her to be able to rent her room... she turned a little green and told me that was my call. Art just stared and said not a word. I now had given them about 48 hours notice that I was going to be leaving earlier than expected.

I thought we were good. I did what I had to do, I spent a second and third night, and at the third night, I packed my bags and by 10 am had gone across the street for coffee, come back, and was ready to check out.

Art was sitting in the dining room. I went to him and told him that I was giving him his key back, thanked him, and asked if I could have my refund for one night. he told me the refund would come in the mail...... Now keep in mind I paid CASH! and he does not have any CASH..... he was cold, aloof, and almost nasty. I had nothing wrong, but I was not going to get my money, and I was not going to get a refund.

So I am out the price of a room, my bags have come down some two flights, and I leave the home. there is not even a good bye, or hope you enjoyed your stay, nothing.... Just, you will get a refund in the mail.. end of story.

My friends were floored and told me to go back to stay there,,,, but I told them that given the circumstances and the response by both Barbara and Art, I did not feel very comfortable remaining, and I went to the south part of Boston. It was a convenient location, but for next time, I will find something better.

Several weeks have gone by since that trip. No check has come in the mail. There will be no check either.

My warning to travelers is this. IF you can not go up at least two flights of stairs this hotel is NOT for you. IF you are in a wheelchair, this hotel is NOT for you... If you have a disability of any kind that precludes you from going up stairs --this hotel is NOT for you. If you have small or school age children, this place is not for you.

However, a a positive note, this B&B is clean, convenient to Boston University, and pleasant enough for the price. If you are at the theater and dont want to go home, by all means stay. If you are touring colleges, and just need a place to stay, oK. However, you need to make sure that if you are staying for a few days, that you are staying cause you will not get a refund of monies paid to these people..... you can kiss your money good bye.

This is not a place to stay is you are on a honeymoon. This probably not the place for young children, or really children of any age. If you are young, and touring, perhaps, it will save you a few dollars.... but I did not save much, cause they took my money and never returned it.... If you are an older traveler, and have health problems, you probably dont want to stay here, unless you are on the ground floor.

Because of the circumstances that have occurred, I will not stay at the B&B again. Had we ended on better terms, I would have returned, because it had positives, but the owners spoiled that idea.

There are a lot of hotels in Boston. I had to stay one night early on just outside Boston at a Ramada Inn, it had shuttle service to and from the airport. it had shuttle service to the red line, it had a full breakfast for all guess each and every morning, it was wheelchair accessible, you did not get weird stares, and by comparison, it was the better deal.

I decided to not let this experience with Anthony's town hourse ruin what was otherwise a great trip.... and so while this place is what all the reviews say it is, clean, neat, convenient, --- yes it is all true, but see beyond the first night.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — attitude of owners
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank lilmspj
East Coast
Reviewed 15 November 2007

This is a budget place to stay and you must keep that in mind here. The rooms are clean as is the shared bathroom. There is one bathroom on each floor - spotless - but we had to wait 45 mins to over an hour to use it inthe morning.

This is a family run establishment but that does not always mean a positve. Arthur was very curt, Barbara was nice. I don't know if they have elderly relatives or run a convalescent home but that is what takes up the first 2 floors. So coming home there were lots of strange looks as you walked to your room.

On the other hand the room was spacious and the location is convenient.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — The atmosphere, lack of welcome.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank creevykeel
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 November 2007

Anthony's is a great place to stay in Boston. It is very affordable. It is also very clean and well maintained, the rooms are huge, it is right on the trolley line so we could easily hop on the trolley to see all of the tourist attractions. it is also a few minutes away from a shoppng area with supermarkets, cafe's etc. which was handy for breakfast. We stayed there for four nights. It is in a lovely neighbourhood. The hotel itself was very quiet and the room had everything we needed in it, including access to a refrigerator.

Our one issue was that they do not accept visa as a method for payment. However, we sent them a deposit check by mail and paid the rest of our balance by check on arrival. Everything worked out fine with our reservation and overall we were extremely happy with our stay.

• Liked — Very clean and affordable
  • Disliked — Did not accept visa
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhughe39
Seattle
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We had a very positive experience staying at Anthony's Town House. We stayed in the largest room on the top floor (three flights up) that has a double and two twin beds($115/night for three. Cash or check only). The room was very large and had a huge walk-in closet. It was hot in Boston and the air conditioner worked well. There is a shared (and very clean) bathroom on each floor and had no problem with one being available when needed. Anthony's is directly across from the Green Line so very easy to get anywhere in Boston using the MBTA. There are several restaurants
within a block. We ate at the "Busy Bee" for breakfast every day. The food is good and very reasonably priced. There is also a grocery store that has a deli. Great, inexpensive place to stay.

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — bed was harder than I liked but everyone else liked the beds
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 18 May 2007

I stayed in Anthony's Town House while I was in Boston for a graduate school interview. I needed a cheap place to stay close to the T, and Anthony's fit both bills perfectly - the T is literally right across the street. The place is in a lovely brownstone townhouse. Inside the host and hostess have a nice sitting room, but the furniture is covered with plastic, like at your grandma's house. I found that both kind of charmingly eccentric and kind of insulting, because it seemed to say that the innkeepers didn't think to highly of the cleanliness of their guests.

My room was huge and had crazy roccoco furniture, a fireplace, and big closet. However, the bedsheets were very faded and the pillows in pretty poor shape. The place was overall very clean, including the shared bathroom. Books, a hairdryer, and a shared fridge were available.

The innkeepers were very nice and friendly, and gave me extensive directions for getting to Anthony's from the airport on public transportation. However, they requested that I send the full amount for my room by check through the mail to secure my reservation. I called to ask if they would take a credit card number instead, and they would only do a check. Made me a little nervous, but it ended up being just fine.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Poor quality bedding, plastic on furniture
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank ceeroro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 83 in Boston
Boston Hotel Buckminster

Been to Anthony's Town House? Share your experiences!