“comfortable, nice area”

Holiday Inn Boston Brookline
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brookline
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was our first trip to Boston and we were on our honeymoon. They upgraded us to a suite which was lovely.
I hate how American hotels only have lamps, not a master room light so it's a big hassle to light up the room. There was no safe for our passports/tickets etc. There's a kitchenette sort of space (fridge, microwave) but no utensils which is odd to me...
Other than that it was clean, comfortable bed, good hot shower. Reception staff were friendly.
It is right across from a tram/subway stop. A pretty quick, cheap trip into the city itself. We felt the area was really safe. Didn't see any homeless or drunk people when walking to the shops at night. It was also quite pretty if you're visiting Boston as a destination from overseas and want to see some town houses & autumn colour. There are shops and simple food options a 5 minute walk away.
I would NOT recommend the restaurant. Reasons: you're sitting in the lobby, it's weird and you feel exposed. The food is average and not good value. The waiter we had was gruff and difficult to understand.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Del678
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback and indeed the hotel is in a great location, very safe to venture out of the hotel and up the street to Coolidge Corner, or a short train ride to Boston proper. I am pleased you found the staff friendly at the front desk, I will be glad to pass that along to them. I am disappointed to hear about the restaurant experience, and will forward this to the restaurant manager. In regards to the safe in the rooms, we currently do not offer this amenity, however the hotel does offer safety deposit boxes for our guests who would like to store valuables. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and congratulations on your wedding!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hotel is directly opposite one of the train/tram lines out of Boston city centre and only a very short ride, great if you're on a budget but want to stay close to town. The hotel itself is a little odd, with a small tower of rooms at the front ( looked to be about 3 or 4 floors ), with the rest of the rooms in a two storey complex behind the reception, bar and restaurant, which all border a roofed atrium. This atrium contains seating, a large chess board and a pool area. My room had pleasant décor and was clean however the only window to the room faced the internal atrium and my curtains would not close completely. Luckily my room was down the end so not too many people wandering past, but I still found the gap unsettling enough to find something to place in front of the window. Comfortable bed. A short walk from the hotel can be found numerous restaurants, a supermarket, pharmacies and a Peets Coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front tower appear to have windows to the outside world.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Clova2013

Thank you for sharing your recent visit with us. The location is supurb, only a few feet from the train, whcih will get you in and out of the city in a short period of time. The hotel has several different room types, which are priced appropriately, including both interior and exterior facing rooms. I am pleased that the room was to your liking and clean, I will definitely pass this along to the housekeeping department. I have also made a note of the curtains not closing completely, which we will look into immediately. Again thank you for taking the time to write us.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had a Conference in Boston, and this hotel was close to the Conference site. Plus, it was a big Hotel chain (supposedly they have know-how), it was cheaper than other hotels, I was alone in town and would spend the whole day out. So I thought "why not?". Ok, here's why not:
- most rooms have no windows, just an internal window facing the hallway, which has to remain closed if you don't want the other guests to see you when they pass by.
- room was noisy - I heard all kinds of noises from my "neighbors", including toilette flushes.
- even though they claim it's a tobacco free Hotel, my room smelled like someone had just put out a cigarrette. Everyday.
- the closet had no lights and one of the bedside lights was out of order - I was living in a "twilight".
- bed linen was in a poor state, and had a big torn.
- breakfast was just regular, and the breakfast tables were made of plastic
- on my fifth day at a guest, housekeeping simply FORGOT to make up my room. I left the Hotel at 8AM for the Conference and came back at 5:30PM, only to find the room exactly as I had left it...

In summary: good location if you have to go to the Longwood Area - but that's pretty much it...

Room Tip: Try the rooms on the upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. The hotel does have a unique layout with several of the room types with interior rooms, but the hotel also does offer exterior rooms with great views of both St. Paul and Beacon Street. The hotel is 100% non smoking, unfortunaly there are guests who choose to disregard this, and are charged appropriately upon departure for smoking in the room, and the staff does try to control this as best as possible. I have shared your comments with the housekeeping department as I am extremely disappointed in not only the condition of your bed linen, but also not refreshing your room as expected. Although we sometimes fail to meet our guest’s expectations, it is equally important to hear how we can improve our product and services, and for that we are grateful for your valuable information regarding your recent stay.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I came for a group meeting and was not expecting much (I was hoping to be in the 'central area' of Boston). But to my surprise I was very happy they chose this hotel! My room was ready and clean upon arrival. Everything about the place was fresh, well cared for, and the staff was fabulous and attentive. The location couldn't be beat! I felt so safe walking alone to area restaurants at night (cabs and the T were also available outside the hotel if you need them). Easy trip on the T from the airport as well to the hotel just across the street. I didn't dine at the hotel so I can't comment on that end This will be added to my favorite Boston hotels (even if a little outside of the area I usually work) as it is well worth it and the location is excellent.

Room Tip: First floor near front desk on the inside was an excellent choice for me.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ncenjoytravel

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the staff, as they will be thrilled when I share this with them. The location you truly can't beat, with only steps away from the train, literally minutes from downtown Boston, the hotel offers great value from those hotels located closer to city center. The location of the hotel is safe and there are some great homes with character and unique architectural features that are in our neighborhood, for those who enjoy exploring. We hope to see you the next time your travel plans take you to the city of Boston, and thanks for sharing your great experience with us!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at this holiday in with a friend during a girls weekend to Boston. It was a great location. Easy for us to get to from the train terminal, and a great starting point every morning for us to explore Boston. The rooms were clean, and I really like the labeled pillows that let me know which one was firm and which one was soft.

Though this hotel was not in a central location, it was still a great place to stay with small shops and restaurants in the area. Also, the hotel is right by one of the subway/metro stations, letting us quickly and easily take the train to a point of interest and slowly walk back to the hotel while exploring all the sights of Boston.

Overall I think this is a great hotel for any visitor to this great city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your great comments, even though the hotel is located a short distance from Boston City center; it indeed is only a brief ride by train, where you also don't have to worry about finding a parking space either. With only steps away from Coolidge Corner and Harvard Street there are many boutiques, restaurants and shops to explore in this great and safe neighborhood. I am pleased you liked the pillows as we have started to rollout new pillows, which is a new Holiday Inn standard, and we hope to have the hotel completed in its entirety over the next few months. I appreciate you taking the time to write us, and hope to see you the next time you travel back to Boston with your friends.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spent 2 nites here during very busy Boston weekend...Head of the Charles regatta and Red Sox postseason. Were able to enjoy the whole city because Great location in nice residential neighborhood with plenty of restaurants, merchants and access to transit. Very friendly, fun staff.
Quirky, 80s-esque architecture with large interior atrium, rooms open to the atrium. Nonetheless, lobby and rooms have updated decor.
I'd rather the owner keep the weird building and better-than-most-Boston-hotels price than knock it down and rebuild something that costs $400/nite!

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces Beacon st.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your comments, the layout of the hotel is interesting, and some enjoy the uniqueness, and others prefer a more traditional layout, but in both instances it is the staff that makes the difference, and by your comments we succeeded. We are just steps away from Boston proper; a few blocks by foot or a short train ride can whisk you there in minutes. We hope to see you when you visit the city again.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

For the last two years I have brought a group for an extended stay in the fall. Both times the hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for continuing to choose to stay with us each year, our staff tries to make each guest experience a great one, and I am glad we succeeded. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Boston Hotel Buckminster
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 86 in Boston
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Holiday Inn Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!