“Unrenovated Holiday Inn, overpriced but excellent location”

Holiday Inn Boston Brookline
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brookline
Helena, Montana
“Unrenovated Holiday Inn, overpriced but excellent location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is an unremarkable, unrenovated 3 star Holiday inn with cheap bedding, low quality toiletries, old carpets and no frills. It is way over-priced for what you get. However, I know Boston is expensive and the location is really terrific - directly across from the St Pauls T stop. The staff were extremely helpful and professional and nice.

If the hotel were not chosen for me, I would have stayed closer to town and stayed at the westin, sheraton or another much nicer hotel.

The location is the only high point for this hotel.

Room Tip: Seems like all the rooms face the indoor atrium which makes them a bit noisy and many have no natura...
Green Features: I don't really care. about the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your candid comments, and I can certainly understand your concerns. The hotel is currently in the midst of planning a major renovation at the end of this year into the first quarter of 2015, and I am sure that if you come back next year you will find a completely transformed property. Unfortunately the hotel does have some interior rooms, and part of the renovation plan is to re-engineer the interior of the hotels Esplanade, transforming the entire area into a inviting vibrant place to sit and relax. Again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, especially the great ones about the staff!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Crestwood, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here because of the close proximity to Fenway Park. The front desk personnel were pleasant and efficient. The rooms were adequate and nicely furnished but the mattresses were hard and uncomfortable. We also had trouble getting one of our two rooms cooled down to a comfortable level. The parking garage is also a little hard to get in and out of. Overall would recommend staying here for a Red Sox game, otherwise you'd probably want to choose another hotel.

Stayed May 2014
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us, and indeed we are very close to Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox and many other venues that take place during the season. The parking garage is located at the very beginning of the hotel building itself and does come up fast after passing Powell Street, and unfortunately due to the nature of Beacon Street being one way, you must traverse using a series of right turns to go back around the hotel to re-enter. I will send you an e-mail privately to gather more information regarding the A/C unit, and thank you for taking the time to write.
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was in this hotel from april 23rd to 27th. The hotel had good breakfast buffet, which is always a plus. The location is good, the train stops right outside the hotel, and there are good restaurants nearby. Two things bothered me though, the window of the room faced the inside hall, I don't know if this is by design or something that has happened during expansion or modification of the hotel.

Another thing is the air condition in our room, it was both noisy and either kept us freezing or too hot,

Otherwise, a pretty decent. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly. It also has a small indoor swimming pool, although we didn't try it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate the honest feedback. The hotel does have a unique layout, in which some of the rooms are interior facing, and the hotel does offer additional room types, of which many do indeed have exterior facing ones at different price points. I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast, and the the hotel was clean and staff friendly, which I will be sure to share with the team. I will send you an e-mail privately to get more information regarding your room so that we may be able to look into your AC unit more closely. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and hope to see you in the future if your travel plans bring back to the Boston area.

I
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at the Holiday inn for 3 nights. The staff was friendly and helpful. We came in late at night (around 23:00) and returned our rental car first thing the following morning, and so the receptionist only charged us half price ($15) for the parking.
The room was clean and quiet and comfortable enough though not particularly large.
We did not try the breakfast.

There is a T station just outside so traveling to the city center is quite quick, and walking that way is quite nice as well. The Brookline neighborhood is safe and very nice to stroll around itself. Coolidge Corner, a few minutes walk or a very short ride on the T away, offers several restaurants and other shops including a Trader Joe's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your great comments, especially about the staff! Indeed the hotel is in a great location, and most guest do exactly like you do is to use the "t" to travel and explore the city. We hope to see you the next time you are in the area, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for a wedding, and I was quite unimpressed. It seemed like the staff was overwhelmed at all times. The rooms were very small, and mine only had windows out into the hallway; no natural light whatsoever. It took a very long time to check in, and the breakfast was very disorganized. One positive thing I can say is that the rooms were surprisingly quiet despite the fact that the pool was basically right next door to my room. I also couldn't believe how expensive the room was. Won't be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, and let me apologize for the delay during the checkout process, something we are currently addressing. The hotel has many room types at different price points, and some of those rooms are interior facing, additionally the hotel has many other room types, that do have natural light, including rooms in out tower that face Beacon and St Paul Street. I will speak with the restaurant manager regarding the breakfast experience, one we will continue to work on to be more efficient. Again thank you for taking the time to write us.

Travellers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Astoria, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is this most interesting hotel in America and it must be an extremely frustrating place to work. I hope the owners of this Holiday Inn read this and reflect.

First off, this is not one hotel but two. The bulk of the hotel is known as "the Atrium" and was constructed in the 1950's as a drive up to your room one star motel. At some point, the Holiday Inn chain purchased this older hotel and instead of demolishing it, they added an opaque roof over the former interior parking area, added an outer atrium where the rooms facing the street had been and kept the original motel rooms intact. They also built a six story new hotel of modern standards and grafted it onto the older section with an opaque slanted roof. None of this works at all and there is nothing that the hotel staff can do about it.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon as part of a large family reunion. Check in was easy and professional. Our rooms were located next to each other in the Atrium. There were delicious cookies provided free and there was coffee and comfortable chairs in the lobby.

The front desk staff were professional. Jessie was the best. She was courteous, professional, and friendly. The crew working with her displayed similar qualities but she was heads above them.

Our room was an immediate disappointment. Located in the Atrium, it faced the outer wall of the pool. The windows of this tiny room which were designed to face cars in an internal parking lot, faced "the Atrium" which is a dismal internal corridor containing no natural light. With the curtains of the room open, anyone can walk by and peer in. This was unnerving for a $200 a night room.

The beds were small. The pillows were too springy. The room was the size of a prison cell.

The bathroom was tiny. The shower was tiny and there is no bathtub. There was no place to hang wet towels or a wet bathing suit, and with my wife, myself, and our two kids, there were plenty of wet towels and bathing suits.

The toilet was only about 20 inches from the floor. It was actually hard to sit down on because it is so much lower than a standard toilet. As a man, it was impossible to urinate standing up because the toilet was installed in such a way that the lid could not stand up without falling down due to the placement of the counter above the toilet.

There was no air circulation inside the room and the door and the windows both opened to the airless atrium containing the pool. Water evaporating from the pool has nowhere to go but into the guest rooms. Avoid the atrium rooms at all costs.

The rooms are opened using a magnetic key. We had four and only two ever worked at the same time and never on the first try. The keys also did not work in the parking garage. At the front counter, it seemed that the biggest complaint was the keys not working and the subsequent delays this caused the guests.

For our second night we were granted a request to move to the tower. There we were placed into a lovely 6th floor room with a window which opened to admit natural outside air. We could also receive natural light, something I never considered until staying at this hotel. In our 6th floor room, the beds were of a reasonable size, the bathroom worked perfectly, there was an easy chair...everything met our expectations.

There is only one elevator serving the tower. It moves very slowly and of course the wait time seems unbearable. Again, this is a design flaw and is nothing that the front office staff are able to address. Management- are you reading this? Replace this elevator and add a second one.

We had the buffet breakfast twice. The food was good and it was reasonably prices. The Huervos Rancheros were authentic. The waiters provided excellent service and they quickly provided everyone with coffee-to-go, which was a nice touch in the morning.

There was a business center with several internet connected computers but I did not use it. There was free wifi service throughout the hotel, which was also a nice touch.

The only thing good about this hotel is the location. Within a block, is a Green line train station, a Trader Joe's, a 16 Handles, numerous restaurants and a Jewish synagogue.

The hotel bar closed down for the evening at 10 PM just as my wife and I came down for a drink. It seemed a bit early for a bar to close on a Saturday night in Boston. The bartender made it clear to us that he was not going to reopen so that we could have a beer or a cocktail.

The parking garage was interesting. Because the room cards were not working in the entry/exit machine, in order to leave the garage, one had to call the front desk to request them to open the gate. This also meant that upon checking out, numerous guests were charged $29 per night for parking regardless of whether they had actually parked cars there or not. On our second night, we parked at one of the 8am-8pm parking meters outside the hotel. At 8pm when the meter went off for the night, we thought we had hit the jackpot and saved $29. Little did we know. The next morning we found a ticket on our car from the city of Brookline...which informed us that there is no overnight parking on the streets of their fair city. Yikes! So we spent one dollar more to park on the street than we would have paid to park in the hotel garage.

Checking out on Sunday morning took over 30 minutes. There was only one woman at the front desk and a long line of guests, most of whom had complaints and discrepancies. She seemed new in her position and I felt sorry for her. She needs to receive professional development in knowing when to ask for help from her colleagues.

If you are reading this as a guest, here is my advice. Only accept a room in the tower and do not at any cost, stay in the atrium section.

If you are management, here is my advice. Demolish and rebuilt the atrium. This section is wreaking major damage to the reputation of your fine hotel chain. If you are unable to demolish the older atrium section, then remove the roof over the old parking lot and replace it with a glass ceiling with windows that can be remotely opened so that air and natural light reach these internal rooms. Do the same to the slanted roof connecting the tower to the atrium.

Guests, please be nice to the front office staff. They are doing the best they can in an lose-lose situation. Be happy they do not quit en masse as they patiently respond to the identical complaints day in, day out.

Management, give your staff a bonus. Pat them on the back and say "thank you" as much as you can as they deserve it.

Room Tip: Ask for "the tower". If they put you into "the Atrium" refuse it and book elsewh...
Green Features: They save electricity by having only one elevator.
3 Thank Ben S
Thank you for your very candid remarks, I appreciate the feedback. Indeed the hotel has it's challenges, especially with our interior rooms. You will be pleased to know that the hotel is currently working with a design company and have just completed on of our model rooms for the ownership and Holiday Inn to comment on. The plans will be to engage into a renovation sometime in the near distant future, and hopefully start by the end of 2014, which will address most of your comments. I am pleased you found Jessie and the desk staff helpful, however I do apologize for the delay in the checkout process, something we will continue to work on. Again thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us, we greatly appreciate them. We hope to see you next year, with the hopes of having a much improved product with the renovations.
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here with my friend from the 16th to 18th of April. I was told I would need to place a deposit with the hotel. However, after I left, the refund never came.

When I called the front desk, he told me he doesn't know what is going on and I had to call 3 days later, when the accounting department is working again. Doesn't the hotel operate 24 hours? This is ridiculous!

I am very disappointed with the hotel and its non existent "help"line.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, I will look into this further as some of our reservations are pre-paid in advance, which could be referred to as the deposit. I am not sure why we were unable to look to your question at the front desk, and I will send you an e-mail privately to gather additional information so that I can look into this matter. Again thank you for taking the time to write us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Boston Hotel Buckminster
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#13 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,752 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!