“Great food, inside needs TLC”
Review of Tru Luv's - CLOSED

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Lorton, Virginia
“Great food, inside needs TLC”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I chose to dine here due to a recommendation from a guest at who dines at my bar. I decided to go there for my mother's birthday. A few things...the food was excellent, the champagne was warm. When serving a bottle of expensive champagne, it must and I mean MUST be at the point before freezing, not room temp. The menus were paper, which is okay, but they were crinkled and were dirty. My feet stuck to the floor of the restroom and the door was full of dirty hand prints. The carpet was filthy and looked like it was original. The ceilings were dirty too. The decor (the painted walls to resemble brick) was a bit cheesy. That all being said, I understand the reason why I have not heard of this place prior to my visit. This place would be packed, all the time, if they renovated it. They have a spectacular view of the river and a gorgeous patio for dining. Customers in Fredericksburg CRAVE a place for fine dining, but that means having the whole package/experience.If Truluv makes these changes, I GUARANTEE this place will thrive. I will come back to dine, but I wish they would consider this because it is truly taking away from the AMAZING food and view. It's the little things that add up.

• Visited April 2013

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Bland tasteless food. Small portions. Dirty.”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Food was overpriced and bland. Two small pieces of overcooked, thin sausage came on the shrimp and grits. Five shrimp and a bowl of soupy grits for $18.00. Dinner came with ONE roll each and no salad or soup. Butter was even BLAND! I had the rice balls which were BORING. Nothing but fried rice and cheese with NO seasoning. They were served on plate of what tasted like UNSEASONED Hunt's tomato sauce sprinkled with parmesan. Oh, did I mention the rice balls were served luke warm at best. Silverware and glasses were dirty. Ceiling looked like it was about to cave in and air vents that are right over your table were black and dirty. Server was not very friendly. Will NOT go back and will tell others to avoid at all costs!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank bdjathome
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Fair at best!!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

On Sunday 3/24/2013 my lady and I visited Truluvs for lunch. It was 1:00 p.m. We found the service fair at best. Our server was rude. The Philly cheese steak I had was surely nothing special and who serves a Philly cheese steak with american cheese. It should be provolone right? Please.....sweet potatoe fries were the best part of the experience except for my company.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good lunch”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I brought a corporate group of 9 people to lunch at Tru Luv's. Don't let the lack of curb appeal affect your judgement to eat here. The curb appeal is dismal - it needs a major facelift. Enter thru the side door and walk into the restaurant to the right. Big windows overlook the Rappahanock River providing a good first impression of the cozy dining room. The food and service was excellent. I was so impressed that the server took all orders without him writing anything down and delivered it all spot on. My steak salad was delicious. The lettuce so crisp and fresh and the steak cooked medium exactly per my request. Others in my group ordered other things on the menu - crab cake sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, other salads, and when I polled them on the walk back to our hotel, all said they were pleased. The quality of food was very good, freshly made to order. Menu items are reasonably priced. One day I hope to go back to try their Sunday brunch and eat outside on the terrace overlooking the river.

1 Thank Karen R
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“"Heartbroken at Tru Luv's"”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I have patronized several incarnations of restaurants at this location over the years. First was Arbuckle's, then RiverView and now Tru Luv's. We have dined at Tru Luv's on numerous occasions. We enjoy the spectacular view of historic Chatham Manor perched high atop the riverbanks across the shallow point of the Rappahannock River. Throughout time, we have watched Tru Lu'vs decline to the point of no return. On Saturday, March 9, 2013, we dined at Tru Luv's for the last time. Yesterday, upon ordering two glasses of iced tea, I noticed lipstick smeared around the rim of my glass. Both iced tea glasses were filthy and discolored. I ran my finger inside the iced tea glass to see if the glasses were scratched or if this was encrusted dirt and film. Sure enough, you could scratch off the filth and scum from the iced tea glasses. Disgusting. Same was true for my glass of ice water. I was sickened in my stomach. Next came the obvious dirt and film on the silverware. You could scrape off the thick residual food and scum from the silverware. I told my husband it was as though the Tru Luv's owner and head chef washed the dishes, glasses and silverware in cold water as a cost-savings measure. It wouldn't surprise me because this is one cheap restaurant owner. He named his restaurant Tru Luv's because opening this restaurant was his "true love." For us, we left Tru Luv’s on Saturday heartbroken knowing we would never enjoy the beautiful scenery from the dining room windows due to the overall filthy conditions of this restaurant, poor service, lousy food and poor menu choices. Towards the end of our meal I had to use the restroom. You push open a swinging door and walk down a hall to the restrooms. The swinging door was filthy with dirt and handprints. So was the small glass window on the door. Most of the fingerprints were apparently from the restaurant employees, as much of the dirt was in the form of grease from the kitchen. Doesn’t instill a lot of confidence that the kitchen is clean since the two swinging doors at both ends of the hallway to the restrooms are grimy. Now, let me give you a little insight about the menu. You don’t decide what side-dishes to order. The restaurant owner decides what side-dishes will accompany an entrée which is printed on the thin paper menu. During one dining experience, I tried substituting French fries which accompanies the fried oyster dinner. No chance! Our server checked with the restaurant owner and no way would he let me order a different potato or starch dish. To me, French fries are for lunch and I was ordering and paying for a dinner entrée. Here’s more insight to the Tru Luv’s menu. You don’t get a salad or soup with an entrée. It must be purchased separately. If you’re lucky, you will be served one dinner roll per person. Want another dinner roll? Then expect to be charged for it. We once were. How cheap is that? Considering the high menu prices, you would think a restaurant patron could ask for another dinner roll. Not true at Tru Luv’s. Now for the food. My husband and I have ordered a variety of lunch and dinner menu choices. Nothing stands out as being good or tasty. The nondescript food is fair at best. Yesterday, I ordered the salmon dinner entrée which was tough and tasteless. The rice was starchy and clumpy. I left most of the food on my plate. My husband ordered Prime Rib which he said was so-so. A few shriveled up and overcooked string beans were on our plates. They too were tasteless and unappealing. You will never leave Tru Luv’s feeling full. You hardly get enough food to eat and by the time you get home you’ll be hungry again. Don’t waste your time and money at Tru Luv’s. You deserve better. At this juncture, it seems that hardly anyone patronizes Tru Luv’s, except to drink. The time before last when we dined, it took one hour upon ordering for our food to arrive at our table. There was only one other party at the restaurant which were about six women having a bridal shower. When we asked our server what took so long for our food, she said, “Oh, we had to wait until the other table got their food.” So, expect long waits at Tru Luv’s even if the restaurant is practically empty. That is if you’re even seated. You never see a hostess at the hostess station. Instead, you have to hunt down a restaurant employee to be seated. Stay away from Tru Luv’s. You have been warned! I’m surprised the Health Department has not condemned this restaurant. Perhaps it’s just a matter of time after restaurant patron’s start dropping off like flies from the filthy conditions and distasteful food. Not to mention getting rigamortis waiting to be seated and for your food to be served. There are plenty of other restaurants in Historic Fredericksburg. Don’t waste your time and money at Tru Luv’s. You too will leave “Heartbroken at Tru Luv’s.”

4 Thank EarthyBarbara