“Everything under one roof”
Review of The Kenmore Inn

The Kenmore Inn
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We really enjoyed Kenmore Inn. We were welcomed warmly to a beautiful room. The tub had seen better days, but was clean and worked very well, so we had no complaints. We really enjoyed sitting in the pub downstairs and had a delicious meal. It was nice to be able to just walk upstairs after dinner. The breakfast was delicious, the setting was gorgeous and Marie was a very friendly and efficient server. We would really like to go back...soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kenmore Inn

Reviewed 26 March 2013

LOVED IT!! Stayed overnight and had a fantastic time. Ate dinner at their downstairs restaurant and then spent a fun night in their pub. Everything I wanted for the night was in one place. The staff is fantastic and everyone very friendly and helpful. I felt very much at home there. I told my husband if I won the lottery I would move the family in and live like this forever. Beautiful inside and out. A very comfortable atmosphere.

ROOM: Gorgeous windows on the front and side streets. I did hear some noise from cars and pedestrians since it is a front street room but it wasn't much and really didn't bother me. Full bed and beautiful linens- Will be staying there again when we visit. I slept well. The sheets were up to standard (I'm picky about bed). Room was very clean! Fully renovated beautiful bathroom. Bathroom very clean!! (I'm picky about clean bathrooms.) Self cleaning bathtub? Yes please. Wonderfully furnished. I felt very happy and comfortable with the room. The Keurig coffee bar out in the hall is a nice touch. You can have a fire if you like made for you before 8 o'clock.
RESTAURANT: Loved it! Kudos to a great chef. I thought it was perfect- the dining room is well appointed, nice table cloths etc but it's not stuffy! Has a very cool vibe. You can eat dinner at the tables, or sit in the comfy leather couches or go outside to their nice street side patio with pretty trees lit with white lights. The menu was nice- I had the scallopini with risotto - yum. My husband had the halibut- very yum too. Had the crab cakes starter- very nice and wonderfully presented. The menu is priced very fairly I thought- GREAT VALUE for the quality. Waitress was friendly but slow once the place became busy.
PUB: Next the pub- GREAT bar tender, Tom. The bar itself is small but you can order drinks and move into the other rooms, sit in the couches or patio.... Lots of locals there, met some nice people. Very fun and festive place.
BREAKFAST: Breakfast was exceptional in the beautiful main floor dining areas. I had french toast- superb. Husband had Kenmore omelet- he is picky about his omelets but his was perfect. The side board with milk, juice and scones, cereals is added nice touch. Good strong coffee too.

Overall, we are going back in the spring when it will be warm enough to sit on front porch and enjoy the outside patio. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Front rooms on the street have a little more noise from cars and pedestrians but have more windows.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Kenmore this past week. To be fair, the price is about $25--$50 less than other B&B Inns that offer the same amenities, a suite, fireplace, jacuzzi (in the room), and a full breakfast. The amenities were good, and the room was very clean and beautiful. But the breakfast and general consideration of guests in terms of hospitality could use a lot of work. The room, before and after the fire died out was cold. We had to move a small heater around the suite to warm up the rooms as we went along. With a restoration or modernization of the place--it would help with these problems. The huge windows were not double paned, for example. We could also hear EVERYTHING from adjoining rooms, and they had a rock show playing downstairs until very late that we could hear.

The breakfasts were between almost-warm and cold, and Very small. The toast was rock hard and cold. We had to ask for things three times, by walking to the back to find the waitress. When we did, she was having a very serious, intense conversation about guests who had complained about the Inn with I'm guessing the owners or manager in an office, connected to the dining room. We could hear the entire conversation as we were eating breakfast, and it was awkward and uncomfortable for us. The staff, in general needs to be professionals, and the Inn is not personable or hospitable because of this. I do have to say, though that the front-desk young woman was very helpful in helping us find a restaurant to eat at. But we realized as we left, NOT ONCE did anyone ever ask us how we were doing; if we needed anything; or were we satisfied.

BUT to be fair, the jacuzzi was first rate. And I think if we were a couple madly in love, the place is perfect. (expect for the small food) It is a place where you can have a romantic time with a jacuzzi in the room, a fire, and a big bed....and even better if you're a partier or young person and want to rock out downstairs before coming back up to your romantic room. People leave you alone, and it is a beautiful inn...just not functional for all purposes.

Room Tip: Go if you're madly in love with your partner and want to have a sexy time where everyone leaves...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I took my daughter and granddaughter to The Kenmore Inn for her 5th birthday. I was surprised that they did allow children as some BnB's do not. We stayed in the 2 Bedroom suite which was huge! It had a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub in which we all three piled into with our bathing suits after a wonderful dinner at the Capital Grill just a few blocks away. I highly recommend the Capital Grill for beer selection, martini's and most of all the food was exceptional. The rooms and linen's were exceptionally clean and comfortable. The Innkeepers were very nice and accommodating as I changed my reservation dates several times because of travel issues. The breakfast was very tasty and a nice surprise that you could order from a menu to choose what you want. I would definitely stay here again and look forward doing so and eating in the restaurant or pub that the Inn has downstairs.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My husband and I spent our last night here during our recent trip to Virginia. I wanted something historic and original since we'd spent the previous nights at chain hotels on this trip. The hotel (which is really more of a bed & breakfast) is within a few blocks of the historic downtown. We stayed in the room that had a stand up jacuzzi shower, which was interesting in itself. Our room was in the older, original part of the house. The place is well maintained.

The staff was very welcoming and the room was clean and comfortable. I think there was only one other couple there that night. The innkeeper brought us wood and started a fire when we got back from dinner. Caution... Everything (including the restaurant and bar in this hotel) in the historic downtown area is closed on Monday night. We ended up eating at a chain place on the interstate.

There is no parking, except on the street. No elevator, so be prepared to walk up the stairs with your bags. The street noise was very noticeable in our room, but the bed and linens were 1st rate.

Breakfast was included and we both had the French Toast which was excellent! I'd have loved to have eaten at the restaurant, but it wasn't open.

Overall, this is a nice place, but I probably wouldn't stay again unless I got a bargain rate.

Room Tip: The rooms in the rear of the house may not have as much street noise as we had.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mickir
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This inn has the wow factor! It is the most beautiful building, with a sitting veranda on the front of the property that I loved, and inside, the house is spacious and very welcoming. We had the Washington Suite which consisted of two rooms, a double, a very nice bathroom and then a further room which had a sofa bed and a single bed. All the decoration was beautiful with old or antique pieces to complement the era of the property. The arrangement worked perfectly for a family of 4 and we were all very comfortable. It was incredible value.

The staff were extremely helpful and attentive and breakfasts were delicious. On our first night we went downstairs to the in-house restaurant which had French windows out onto a charming garden patio area. The food was delicious (but pricey!) but as we were the only people in the restaurant , the atmosphere was somewhat lacking!

However, the Inn is extremely well located and we walked around all the very pretty roads and streets nearby (stunning Southern houses!) and its an easy walk to Fredericksburg's main high street, which we spent many happy hours perusing.

We spent a similar amount of money the following evening at La Petite Auberge (311 William Street) where the food was fabulous and so was the atmosphere! In fact, I seem to remember it was packed so you definitely needed to make a reservation in advance.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric78London
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The inn is centrally located so great for visiting the sights such as Mary and Betty Washington's homes but our room was small and lacked much storage space. The coffee machine in the hall did not work or maybe it did but was so complicated I couldn't get it to work! On our first night we ate in the somewhat gloomy dining-room in the basement and were astonished that we were the only people dining in it because the food was simply fantastic - a real surprise. Breakfast the next day was excellent; lots of choice and all freshly made to order with attentive and efficient service.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple