“Unwelcoming”

Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Dallas, Texas
“Unwelcoming”
Reviewed 31 May 2008

I will begin with the positive--our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and affordable. Our experience on this one night trip, however, was less than positive. When we arrived, the place seemed deserted. We walked around until we found Mary at a desk in an office. Upon check-in, she asked if we were on business. We told her "no", and she promptly told us we would be charged an extra $20 because we had been given the "business" rate. We told her we made the reservations over the phone in February and were offered the "business" rate by the reservation clerk even though we were up front and told the clerk that we would not be staying at their hotel for business reasons on this particular trip. We produced the e-mail confirmation we had received, and Mary curtly took the e-mail, looked at it, and threw it in the trash. She said she would give us the business rate "this time," but next time we would have to pay the regular rate because the hotel couldn't make any money if they gave everyone the business rate. We were told breakfast was served starting at 7:30, and we were glad because we had to leave early to catch a flight at Dulles. However, at 7:35 a.m., the dining room was dark, and there were no signs of life. There wasn't even any fresh coffee. Since it didn't look like breakfast was anywhere close to being ready, we had to go ahead and leave. We would not consider staying at this establishment for business or personal reasons in the future due to its unwelcoming atmosphere.

• Liked — The historic nature of the property
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
east coast
Reviewed 6 April 2008

A nice old house with pleasant rooms. Don't stay in Room 209. There are problems with the heat. It was brrrrr. The staff was not especially sympathetic or helpful, and generally were rather curt.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank timetravels
jhellier, General Manager at The Kenmore Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2008
I first want to apologize to you for not enjoying your stay at The Kenmore Inn. We make it top priority to make sure that our guests are completely satisfied. Regarding the room temperature in 209, we actually have noticed that that particular room is a bit colder than the others. Thankfully, each room is operated with a gas radiator and each bathroom is also accommodated with a radiator. I apologize for the room being cooler, but we do allow guests to have complete control of their own heating.

I am surprised to hear that you did not think that our staff felt that you were important to us and that you felt that we were curt. I have printed this review and made sure to speak to each staff member individually. We are in the service industry and are here to make sure that every need is met and we always want to serve our guests with a smile. We try to be as accommodating as possible, no matter what the request may be.

Thank you for bringing your comments to our attention and we do encourage you to do so in person as well so that we can fix the problem quickly! Good luck and we wish you all the best.
Austin, TX
Reviewed 21 March 2008

My traveling companion and I had limited time to spend in Fredericksburg, and we didn't know the area, so we relied on an Internet search of "Bed & Breakfast's" to help us out. The Kenmore Inn showed up in that search, and looked like just what we wanted. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by the location and the Inn. During check in the staff was pleasant and very helpful, giving us a tour of the Inn. I would say the owner has done a great job preserving the historic feel of the Inn, while modernizing it just enough for comfort and convenience.

One unique feature of the Inn is the fact that a pub and restaurant are located on the property, in the basement. We headed to the pub for a couple of drinks, and asked some local patrons for some dining recommendations. Several responses were to eat right there, at the Inn's restaurant. So we did, and the food was top notch. They also have an impressive wine list.

In the morning all guests are welcome to enjoy breakfast in the dining room, which was also quite good. After we checked in, literally, we didn't leave the Inn until we checked out.

I would highly recommend the Kenmore Inn to anyone spending time in Fredericksburg, or just traveling through as we were.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FatJoeAustin_TX
buggyit0924
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I"m a native of Fredericksburg and searched for the perfect place to get married. My first choice was Fredericksburg Square, but the minute I walked into Kenmore, I was sold. The upstairs (where the wedding ceremony took place) is beautiful. It's so pretty that it doesnt have to be decorated, and the Inn was great about putting about setting out their own candles to help set the mood. Even though it was a slightly warm day, the Inn asked if we would like the two fireplaces lit for the ceremony.

For the reception, everything was flawless and very well organized (which helps ease a bride's mind). The staff was excellent, the food was plentiful and very well priced and the site was a great mix. There are three separate sections of the downstairs, a cobblestone mini pub (with a piano and plenty of room for a DJ), an actual pub (imagine a Cheers type bar with plasma TV's), and a banquet room, which overlooks a garden patio (where you can also opt to get married).

I honestly can't say enough great things about my expereince here. My wedding was just as I imagined, very well priced (and we had a conservative budget), and the staff was friendly, professional and efficeint. and very patient. The manager answered 100's of phone calls, responded quickly to emails, and provided various options for food and set up as our budget and vision for the wedding expanded.

Also, the Inn provided very useful tips for potential vendors. We actually used the photographer that they suggested and had a great experience with her as well. They also ordered special chair covers, were willing to let us set up a "practice" table so that we could see the centerpeices, and we had a meeting about the food with the chef.

We also stayed here the night of our wedding and the staff was great about putting to-go boxes in our room, and making sure that we had a great wedding night.

Great site, great staff and great experience!

• Liked — Historic site/beautiful setting
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Watford
Reviewed 21 October 2007

This was only our third experience of B&B in America.On arrival at the Kenmore we were greeted by two young ladies who offered to carry our bags and then gave us a guided tour of the property before being shown to our room. The room was very comfortable being furnished to suit the era of the property. The bathroom decor was a little tired and we had a laugh about the "musical"plumbing. It had been explained to us that the bathrooms are to be updated and one was in the process of being whilst we were there.
All in all the Kenmore was a delightful B&B,the slightly faded elegance only adding to the overall experience. We would certainly not hesitate to recommend it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZigTheDog
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I spent 3 nights at the Kenmore and wish I could have stayed longer. From the moment I was met at reception, given a short tour and shown to my room I knew it would be a most pleasant stay.
All the staff were very helpful and welcoming, Kate at reception even did my laundry at home as I needed it back in quick time and she did not trust the local company, even ironing my uniform shirt !! Now that is service !!
Katesby was the perfect hostess in the bar and the waitress was very efficient. In the restaurant area the food was wonderful, apparently a new menu. I wish I could have had time to sample the whole of the menu.
The rooms are wonderfuly decorated and furnished just like the old days.....but extremely comfortable. One small suggestion, with wireless connection available, perhaps a lap-tray to sit laptop on would be useful.
The lounge had just completed redecoration/furnishing and was very nice, relaxing and a pleasure to be in.
Dining room was under wraps as it was going through its own refurbishment but if rest of hotel is anything to go by it will be perfect.
I had a great stay and would thoroughly recommend this hotel as the perfect place to stay in town.

• Liked — Just the ambience of the whole place...perfect
  • Disliked — Bathroom a tad small.....but not really a problem
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 19 September 2007

This was my second stay at the Kenmore and somehow it exceeded my high expectations from a a fabulous first experience. The charm and authenticity of the building, combined with the warmth and sincerity of the staff makes for a unique experience. With only a dozen or so rooms, I always felt like the staff had plenty of time for me. As always, the breakfasts were superb; coffee/tea and fresh cookies in the afternoon delightful and dinner in the restaurant or pub delicious. It seemed each member of the staff had an amazing personal story and really enjoyed being part of the Kenmore team. While there are loads of more economical options in Fredericksburg, I'll always return to the Kenmore - it's amazing and worth the few extra dollars. Bon Voyage!

• Liked — The incredible people working at the Kenmore.
  • Disliked — No negatives.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business