The Kenmore Inn
  • Free Internet
Dunning Mills Inn(Fredericksburg)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfront porchmarye's heightsfrench toastkenmore roomprincess annehistoric locationworking fireplacejacuzzi tubbed and breakfastrooms are smallromantic getawayguest roomsbreakfast was deliciousdowntown fredericksburgcivil warone night staykenmare
Reviewed 24 November 2008

The Kenmore Inn is one of the most pleasant stays possible. It is located in the most charming part of the restored town, and it adds to the ambiance of the historical setting. The rooms are beautifully decorated - each one different and each one it's own personality. Some rooms even have a fireplace that is tended by the staff. The staff is readily available, but stays in the background so as not to invade privacy. A full breakfast awaits each guest and is included in the cost of the room. We have stayed there before and try to stay at least once a year.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hudson22
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Inn staff needs adult supervision

At 5 pm on a Friday night, my wife and I arrived at the Kenmore (our first visit) to meet friends for dinner at their invitation. We entered through the front door at street-level. There was no one to greet us and I had to seek out an employee on my own. When I found one, there was no greeting and I had to initiate the conversation myself, asking about the reservation. In hindsight, she was most unhelpful, telling us only that there was no reservation (they aren't given for groups less than 10) and in any case, dinner service started at 5:30, not 5. In the intervening hour, as we waited for our friends in the foyer, I had another conversation with the women asking if our friends could be relying on “walk-in" reservations for our small group to which she replied "yes". This made since to me as the dining room and lounge off of the foyer was completely empty.

After these repeated displays of unfamiliarity with the inn. You would think she could have figured out this was my first visit, and informed me of the reality that we learned from our friends when we spoke with them later that evening: the restaurant is downstairs in the basement. Our friends told us they had arrived at 5, were seated downstairs, and as time passed, asked the downstairs staff to see if we were perhaps upstairs!

After speaking with our friends, I called and spoke with this same young women, pointedly reminding her of our interactions and asking why it didn’t’ occur to her to put 2 and 2 together, to which she replied “I had no way of knowing it was your first visit”.

Clearly, the staff at the Kenmore Inn requires adult supervision. In particular, the young women I interacted with should get her nose out of the computer (college student working part time, doing school work on company time?) and acknowledge and serve visiting guests. Same for the staff downstairs: They clearly said one thing and did another regarding checking for our presence upstairs.

On a side note, and regardless of the experience I described above, I can say I would not stay at this Inn. When you approach the front door, the lawn and entryway are littered with dead plants, leaves, and is otherwise overgrown and unkempt. The trim paint is peeling and flaking. The foyer furniture upholstery is stained. The small sitting room we waited in had many cobwebs, and one of the chairs I attempted to sit in was so rickety, I thought it would break under my weight. The ceiling is water stained. The overall impression is one of decline, lack of basic maintenance, and lack of basic cleaning.

I recommend you give the Kenmore Inn a "pass"

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank no_va_journey
Reviewed 27 September 2008

My husband and I were staying in Fredericksburg for one night and decided on the Kenmore Inn based on the positive reviews.
Unfortunately for us it was not a positive experience. When we booked the B&B over the phone we were told there was "live" music in the tavern on Thursday night but it would end by
11:00 p.m. We thought this was okay since we were on vacation and would enjoy some music. The receptionist assured us she would put us in a room away from the noise. Well, we were in a room directly above the tavern and patio and the music did not end by 11 p.m. as promised. We kept the t.v. and air conditioner on to drown out the noise, which finally died down by
1 a.m. The B&B is for a much younger crowd (we are in our mid 50s) and I would not recommend the Kenmore to anybody unless you want to party until 1 a.m. (although the breakfast in the morning was excellent). Upon checkout I did notify the receptionist about the noise and how disappointed we were. Her response was "the band is suppose to stop at 11 so I'll inform the manager". The problem wasn't just the band it was also the tavern crowd carrying on until 1 in the morning on the patio. Beware - if you want a relaxing, quiet B& B, pass this one by! Hotel management should ensure the guests staying in the rooms are the priority of the inn - not the tavern crowd.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I had worked at the Inn back in the '90s and was excited to return for a short get-away with the husband. I was delighted by my experience at the Inn and with the visit to F'burg in general. The Innkeepers were very friendly and helpful and I felt very welcomed. It is odd that the innkeepers don't use the front Parlor to greet guests (considing there is an innkeeper's desk) but there is a sign posted to direct guests to the office. I didn't hear other guests in their rooms but - really- it's an old building, not a Las Vegas hotel. I had expected to hear a variety of sounds given the building's age. My room (#207) was lovely and updated- the bathroom was newly renovated with a jacuzzi tub and wonderful decor.
The breakfast is generally good though not the best I've had. I did appreciate that my husband and I had our own table and could come down to eat at any time between 7:30-10 am. Most B&Bs serve at a particular time and in a family style- I suppose there are pros and cons to each method.
The inn's location is perfect for those interested in downtown shopping and restaurants or those interested in the historical sites of Fredericksburg. Also a short walk to the University. You could happily stay at the inn for the entire time but why miss out on the beauty of the town?
I will definitely return to this inn on my next trip to F'burg.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2008

Initially, I called the Inn to inform them of our situation and to see if the were close to the funeral we would be attending. I asked for a discounted rate which was very kindly provided. And that was where the kindness ended. When we arrived we had to look for the owner. She was in the office and was busy on the computer. She did not stop to welcome us. She continued her work on the computer in between checking us in. Our tour was very brief and she was unable to find the control for the heat. The bed was comfortable and the flat screen tv was nice. However, the walls were paper thin. I could hear the people in the room next to me clear their throat and sneeze as if they were in my room. My saving grace was that they went to bed when I did and got up when I did. My brother was not so lucky. The man in the room next to him snored so loud that he could not sleep. The walls are just paper thin. As for the bathrooms there was not anyplace to put my toiletries. A little table would have been nice. The shower was wonderful. There was a lot of water pressure and the water was hot. Breakfast was horrible. It took forever to be waited on and just as long for the food to come. When it did come the eggs were uncooked. No one ever came back to our table to check on us. My breakfast consisted of bacon, toast and fruit. Which was filling but I had also ordered eggs and would have liked to have been able to eat them. I do not think I should be expected to go in pursuit of the owner. When we checked out I spoke with the manager and told her that I read on trip advisor that she wanted to know about problems so she could try to remedy them. I told her about my breakfast and she corrected me on how eggs over easy are cooked. She said that some people like to dip their eggs in the runny part and this is how they are cooked. I explained that they like to dip their eggs in the yellow part and that the whites should be cooked. She said that it must be different in the south than it is in the north. I have worked as a cook before and salmonella is the same in any part of the world. She never apologized or made any offers to make up for the inconvenience. I have never stayed anywhere that I felt as if I were a bother. We truly could not wait to check out. Other than a hotel this is the first establishment (inn, B & B) that I have stayed at that I would never frequent again or recommend. I have been fawned over at every bed and breakfast that I have ever stayed at. I was made to feel like family. This was worse than a hotel. The only exception is that it was clean.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family