Inn At The Olde Silk Mill
Residence Inn
US$87
US$85
Hotwire.com
All reviewsparlor suitesitting roombreakfast roomhistoric districtcookiescreaky floorsson's weddingsome great restaurantsbridal partywithin walking distancesmall fridgequeen roomrooms are smallantique shopschain hotelbeds were very comfortablenice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Antiques in all rooms, lobby and parlor. Friendly and helpful staff. Stay includes continental breakfast but it could be better. We always bring items to supplement the our breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

The Inn at the Olde Silk Mill is a friendly place near the historic district of Fredericksburg, VA. The staff is helpful and the atmosphere is charming. However, the building is in need of some repair and updating, and because the systems and some of the equipment is old, you have a 50/50 chance of being kept awake at night.

For example, last year I stayed there for the same family get together and the room I had was near the kitchen (very loud in the early hours) and also had an old refrigerator that cycled all night. This year, I had the Queen Mary Suite which is quite lovely (although the bathroom is in serious need of updating) but the air conditioning system made a strange rhythmic noise the second night that kept me from falling back to sleep.

That being said, I would recommend this Inn and I would stay there again. It is in transition as the current owners are making incremental updates and modifications, and they make a real effort to make you feel welcome and comfortable. They will assign you a new room with no fuss, have a parlor that is open most of the day and early evening for visiting (they provide tea, coffee, and cookies too), and right next door is a wonderful gift shop called Two Sisters.

I noticed this year that they added free wi-fi, expanded cable television, and added a flat screen tv to the parlor. Things are definitely improving to provide the service levels that most of us have come to expect in a hotel stay.

Staff is not onsite 24 hours per day as they go home at 9 pm. Guests are given front door keys so can come and go as they please, but if it is important to you to have staff available, you should consider staying elsewhere. My family and I have never had a problem not having staff onsite, and they leave several emergency numbers should you need to contact someone.

Room rates are competitive with the Courtyard Marriott that just opened, and the Inn also provides a buffet breakfast from 8 am - 10 am. If you want a real experience stay at the Inn. If you miss the cookie cutter lifestyle, there is a Hardee's across the street.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Me and my husband stayed here for two nights on June24 and 25. I was searching for a B&B in the historic district of Fredericksburg but they were too expensive for me so I found this old hotel online. This review comes from someone who enjoys staying in old historic hotels/B&B's so if you are not partial to places like this and need modern comfort and amenities seek out the chain motels near I-95.

We stayed in a small queen room. It was decorated with antiques and had a full size bathroom which was not big but not small either. The bed was comfortable and room had a wooden floor and two big windows, all the old fashoined charm I look for in historic hotels. One modern amenity the hotel had was free wireless internet. The two lobby room areas were very nice as we had company visit us and we could sit and visit there instead of our small room. This building was a former employee boarding house for the Silk Mill factory that used to be in back of this hotel. The hotel is on the edge of the historic district and you can easily walk into old town for restaurants and attractions. There is also adequate parking in front of the hotel. Breakfast was continental and served down the hall from our room on the second floor at the staircase landing. The hallways and breakfast room had Civil War art wall hangings and memorabilia like framed Confederate money that gave the place a historical feel. The breakfast was adequate, my only complaint was that there was no microwave in the breakfast room and they laid out pastries that were taken out of the refrigerator so were stone cold and caused condensation build up on the plastic cover over them. It would have been nice to warm them up or at least serve them at room temperature. The employees we encountered were very friendly and helpful with any questions you may have. If I come back to Fredericksburg I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeeZee
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Our board retreat couldn't have been in a more conducive place. The rooms are furnished in antiques, but the bed was so incredibly comfortable and everything was clean, neat and lovely. The staff were wonderful to us, and made our stay seem like a family reunion. Within walking distance of downtown, we were able to visit museums and restaurants without getting in the car. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Very nice historic inn. Nice decor. Located in historic downtown, a 5 minute walk from most shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business