“$20.00 incidental fee”

Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I booked our room about an hour before our arrival which was approximately 8pm. I was given a AAA rate and also give a receipt with taxes that were correct, however when checking my account, there was a $20.00 difference in the fee. I called the hotel to find out where the $20.00 was coming from as my account had a pending status, I was told that their was a $20.00 incidental fee charged to all rooms and if they are not used, they are deducted accordingly. When I told the receptionist that I was not aware of that policy, she said that there is a sign at the counter and it was also in the paperwork that I signed to complete the transaction. I don't know about you, but I felt it was at best, shady! First of all, I checked in and was very tired so I was not checking out the counter and all I remember about the paperwork was a bunch of highlighted areas that were related to my vehicle and appropriate hotel protocol. I will not stay at a Candlewood again because of this incident and I hope that by making others aware of it, they can make a wise choice on where they spend their good money!

Room Tip: 95 right outside most windows, very noisy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marie H
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

We are very sorry that you experienced an issue with your stay. Especially since this issue related to the incidental hold that was placed on your credit card. I do not know of a single hotel where this is not a standard practice. And this is never a charge. It is an authorization hold, though it may appear on your bank statement as a charge. This is a standard used by all hotels in case you were to make long distance phone calls from your room or place food, dry cleaning, or other charges on your room bill. It is just an insurance policy for us so that we know that we will receive payment for services rendered. This authorization is always released from your card upon check out from our hotel, and takes anywhere from one to ten business days to fall off of your account, depending on how your lending institution processes pending charges. As you stated in your review, this notice of incidental holds appears in two locations at the front desk. One location is on a sign that we have permanently at the front desk. The other location is on the registration card that we have you fill out as you are checking in. This is in no way shady, as we are very open and honest about it. This is one reason why we have the text of the incidental hold notice highlighted and in bold-face print on your registration paperwork that you fill out upon check in. Additionally, our front desk staff is certainly capable of answering questions about this pending charge and how it appears on your account should you ask about it. Again, we are sorry that you had an issue with this part of your stay with us. We do appreciate your business, we value your feedback, and we hope that you will stop back by and see us the next time that you are in Fredericksburg, VA.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here a while back, and am just now able to review it.. I must say, it's a beautiful property! At the time I stayed, a few of the employees left a sour taste in my mouth by their practices, but As I'm reading it looks like things have definitely gotten better. When we first arrived at the hotel, the gentleman was on the phone and didn't acknowledge us besides holding up a finger at us to 'wait'. After waiting for about five minutes, he got us checked in.. The rooms are spacious and clean and the bed was super comfortable. My only complaint room wise was that it seemed all the dishes were mismatched??? When my boyfriend and I went out to smoke late that night, the night clerk was curled up on the couch in the lobby with a blanket over her watching tv.. It just struck me as very unprofessional, but she was very nice. I would stay here again !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrandiW0725
Reviewed 18 August 2013

On our way to Myrtle Beach, we usually stop in Fredericksburg, VA. We found this hotel and decided to stay. The price was fair for one night. The room was clean, roomy, well appointed, nice bathroom. The draw back is the beds. Hard as stone. For a hotel that's geared towards the comforts of home the beds do not meet the mark.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed at a Candlewood Suite previously and then this one in Fredericksburg,VA. I was again very impressed. Very clean, very personable staff and a pet friendly hotel. I'm going to rely on Candlewood Suites whenever possible. They seem to be consistently good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank psufan559
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Glad to hear about your stay with us! We take great pride in our hotel, and we are a market leader in guest satisfaction. Please stop back by and see us the next time that you are in Fredericksburg. We would love to have you!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed here on our way from Myrtle Beach to northern PA and it was the perfect place. We were greeted by the nicest staff member at registration who helped us pick out a DVD from the hotel selection to use in our DVD player in our room. The room is extremely spacious, but the only downfall is we wish it would have had a couch or a roll away bed for our child. I can't say enough about the hotel staff at the front desk....they treated us as we were their long lost relative!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Vasey_K
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

We are so thrilled that you had such a great experience at our hotel! As you found out when you stayed with us, we take the utmost pride in cleanness and kindness. At Candlewood Suites, we keep things comfortable, clean, and classy. We hope that you had a safe journey, and we hope that you will stay with us the next time you are anywhere near Fredericksburg.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We've been making our way up I-95 from Florida to NY. This was our third night on the road. Glad we spent the extra money for this room. It was clean and comfortable and we could easily imagine staying here for a longer period of time. There are actually outdoor grills available for guests to use, as well as all the in-room amenities you'd expect.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank songbird1329
Reviewed 24 July 2013

If you're travelling on 95 North or South and need a break Before or After D.C., Then this is your place ! ( I strongly recommend the south side )

Very Clean rooms, Very Nice Management, Accommodating Staff, Easy access from Interstate 95, Safe parking with lots of lights and Conveniently Located near Lots of Restaurants / Shopping !

Room Tip: No complaints !
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank roger m
Garrett H, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

We are so happy to hear about your recent stay with us. As you mentioned, we are situated mid-way between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. There is traffic everywhere, but at our hotel, you can stay out of the traffic of Richmond, and stay out of the craziness of DC traffic. We greatly appreciate all of your comments, and we look forward to seeing you back with us the next time that you are in Fredericksburg, or are traveling on I-95 for business or leisure.