“Caroline House of Richard Johnston Inn is a wonderful stay!”

Richard Johnston Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We rented all 3 rooms at the Caroline House, which is a sister property to the Richard Johnston Inn. We went to Fredericksburg, VA to celebrate my father's birthday. My parents stayed in the William Riley Suite which was gorgeous. Nice living room, huge bathroom and high ceilings make it very appealing. We stayed in the Sawyer Scott Room which was lovely. The claw tub in the bathroom is the largest one I've ever seen. My cousin stayed in the 3rd room and that also was quite lovely. We have been celebrating my father's birthdays for 8 years in Fredericksburg but this was the first time we stayed at the Caroline House. I have a feeling we'll return there next year! Will probably choose a time other than Restaurant Week however so restaurants aren't so packed. A great experience overall!

Room Tip: Choose the suite if you can afford the extra cost. It's a lovely living space.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pattie N

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I regularly stay at the Richard Johnston for business and it is like a home away from home. The staff and service are superb. Breakfast is always delicious and the noticeable attention to detail makes staying here a pleasure. I thoroughly enjoy the dvd selection, fresh baked cookies (and chocolates), and the selection of teas and coffee. The brandy is a nice touch too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
LindiAnn711, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We love our repeat guests and are so very pleased you feel as if the Richard Johnston Inn is a home away from home. We want all our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed while visiting us here in the historic city of Fredericksburg Virginia. Thank you for choosing the Richard Johnston Inn and The 1890 Caroline House over and over again.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night only on a drive to see family for Christmas. We had our dogs with us, and wanted to stay in a pet friendly B&B for the night. WOW were we impressed. The room we stayed in the Kitchen House room, and it was beautiful. It was very large, and had a very historical feel without feeling run down. It was nicely appointed.

The staff was wonderful: very friendly and welcoming. We came in late and found a nice note for us in our room. Fresh baked dog biscuits were on offer. A decanter of brandy (I think?) awaited us. All in all, a highly recommended stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
LindiAnn711, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you so much for choosing the Richard Johnston Inn and the 1890 Caroline House in Historic Fredericksburg Virginia. We are very excited that we exceeded your expectations and made your stay memorable & comfortable. We look forward to you visiting with us again soon!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We recently spent a week at the Inn and had a wonderful stay. We arrived late due to travel/flight considerations and Inn staff were very accommodating. The suite was colorfully decorated and candy and a decanter of brandy was a soothing offering after a long day. The quality of service, attention to detail and great breakfasts were consistent over the week. Lindi-Ann was was very informative and helpful about the town and the area.

Stayed: November 2013
LindiAnn711, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for choosing The 1890 Caroline House and The Richard Johnston Inn in Historic Fredericksburg Virginia. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay the breakfasts! It is our goal to make your stay as memorable as possible. We do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was our second visit to this inn,our first 4years ago. Still beautifully appointed with large comfortable rooms and very large comfortable beds. Breakfast was plentiful with a choice of cooked main course, made to order. Our room was at the top of the building with two flights of stairs to negotiate but it was worth the climb! It is centrally located and within walking distance of restaurants and attractions

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem look for room on ground or 1st floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank H-champs_traveller

Thank you for returning to our Inn. We are very happy that once again you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will continue to return to the beautiful Richard Johnston Inn in Historic Fredericksburg Virginia to make your memories.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I recently had the pleasure of spending two nights in The Loft at this lovely B&B. When I arrived at The Inn, it was after dark - but a winter wonderland of Christmas lights in downtown Fredericksburg had already put a smile on my face. Then the Courtyard of the Inn was wonderfully decorated with wreathes and a sleigh. The Inn was very tastefully decorated for Christmas - providing much needed inspiration to return home and "haul out" my own decorations. Sparkling trees, teddy bears, a miniature town, gigantic pinecones hanging from the windows - the innkeeper thought of it all and made many of the decorations herself. My room, The Loft, was very cozy and comfortable (first night I have slept all through the night in months). What a treat to walk right out of the front door and be on the street amongst a wide variety of shops and restaurants. It will definitely not be the "one and only" time I ever stay at this Inn as I am planning another visit - this time taking the hubby along. I heartily recommend the Richard Johnston - you will not be disappointed - especially from mid-November through the end of the year!! Kudos to the Innkeeper and thanks for the wonderful hospitality!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
LindiAnn711, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you again for choosing the Richard Johnston Inn and the 1890 Caroline House. We are very happy that we exceeded your expectations that is our goal with all of our guests! We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

This is the first BnB I have ever stayed at and may be a bit spoiled. The place is beautiful, right in the center of downtown Fredricksburg. One of my favorite touches? A decanter full of good bourbon sitting in my room. What? Yes please!!! Snacks and drinks were great and the breakfast was incredible with multiple options of pancakes, eggs, fresh fruit, great coffee, bacon mmmmmmmmm. Stay here and thank me later, you will not regret

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrDollface
LindiAnn711, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you again for choosing the Richard Johnston Inn and the 1890 Caroline House. We are very pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to you returning again soon!.