“Needs a bit of work”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Anchorage, Alaska
“Needs a bit of work”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a great hotel everyone was nice and friendly. I did seem to have a problem with the way the front desk is set up. The young ladies and young men are very respectful and I see they try there hardest to please each guest. I feel like it may be too much for one person to do by there self. I seen one girl moping, handling 4 people in a row and the phone never stops ringing I suggest there be at least two people at the front desk to makes it a Tad bit easier. Just my opinion.

• Stayed April 2014
Andrew F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Let me first start off by saying thank you for your review, Our property is under new management and we are currently training a front office manager to over see the front desk operations, We are so glad our staff was friendly and you had a great stay..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had such a great stay here. The room was great, it was a reasonable prices, and the staff is so hospitible. I met a nice young man at the front desk, his name was Kylen. I also had some great service from Erik, he got me towels when i needed them and was friendly about it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Express we are so glad our Front Desk agent, Kylen was able to make your stay 5 stars.

We look forward to seeing you again soon :)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I would like to take the time to thank you for your excellent service. Especially, your front desk clerk Kylen. You would not believe the hassle I've recieved while trying to find out information not only of the hotel, but of the city itself. (i.e. Interesting locations and local favorites.) Overall, you truly deserve a five star rating. No complaints.

Zac

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
We are so glad our staff made your stay great. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon at the holiday inn express Fairbanks,
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four nights and we thougt it was wonderful. As a Priority Privilege member, I can find no fault in my stay. Our check in was quick and efficient and the staff very helpful and courteous. The free breakfast was very good and of good quality. Some reviewers have commented that it is the same thing every day but so what? Do they choose off a menu at home when they have breakfast every day? I think not.

The hotel location is only a $10 taxi ride from the train station but it cost approx $27 by taxi to the airport when leaving. The hotel has no shuttle unfortunately. There is also a guest laundry which is handy, especially if you have children.

I must mention that the beds are wonderful. So comfortable you don't want to get up in the morning.

Located 5min walk across from the hotel is a Wal-Mart which has a Subway inside and a pharmacy. There are also a variety of sporting stores, Famous Footwear, liquour store and a huge bookstore with a Starbucks. There is also ample free parking if you have a car.

I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wow thanks for the great review about your past stay with us, We look forward to having you as our guest again!

Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I travel a lot for business and have stayed at quite a few Holiday Inn Express properties over the past few years because I can usually count on them to be clean, quiet, and comfortable. This one didn’t quite measure up to the standard the others have set.

I stayed here on points with my wife and two kids. When we checked in and pulled back the covers the sheets were wrinkled and my wife found two long strands of hair on them. Apart from that they appeared to be clean, but it was a little off-putting. My only other real complaint about the room is that the thermostat seemed to do little in the way of actually regulating the temperature of the room. Actually, that’s an understatement – it didn’t really seem to do anything – at all. We didn’t bother to complain because it just cranked out hot air and, as it was March in Fairbanks, we just opened the window to cool down the room when we wanted to. Still, without the window open, the temperature just kept climbing and climbing. Lastly, for some reason whoever designed the bathrooms at this hotel elected to put the main towel rack inside the shower stall. I’ve pondered this for some time now, and still haven’t been able to work out a reason why anyone would do that when there is plenty of space on the wall…outside the stall…where it isn’t, you know…wet.

The staff was generally friendly and helpful. I was a little disappointed on the morning that we were supposed to check out because I went down to the desk to add a night to our reservation (I had booked a room for my family and a room for our friends using points) and was advised by one of the managers that I was in the wrong type of room for points, as if I had snuck in there somehow and set up shop without them knowing it. I told them that I made the reservations on-line and that when I checked in that the room I was given was the room their staff put me in. She didn’t quite seem to grasp this though because she continued to blab about how I was in the wrong type of room but that she would go ahead and override it for one more night. Wow…thanks for that.

Anyway, this place isn’t bad, but it’s a little below standard for the brand. I’ve also stayed at the Best Western in Fairbanks and it was above brand expectations in almost every way. If I was paying for a room in Fairbanks, I’d stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Andrew F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your response, As the New General Manager at this property I will be sure to work on the issues above, As for your room no one contacted our front desk about heating issues and each room can control the temperature with running the ac unit as well. I am sorry to hear about my management response to you regarding the points issue and I will address. I welcome you to contact me direct at 907-328-1100

Yellowknife
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one week during a sporting event. Hotel was full. Staff were friendly and often went above and beyond for requests. Very helpful. In particular, Vada from housekeeping.
Hotel is new and clean, breakfast had a wide range of options. Kids enjoyed time in pool, although it is a bit small.
Downside was that wifi was a bit slow, and computer in business centre was very slow.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We are so glad Vada was able to make your stay great and we will be sure to post this review in our housekeeping dept for her to see.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is in a very good location for shopping, it's right across the street from Old Navy, Barnes & Nobel, and Pier 1. The rooms are comfortable and their staff is very helpful and friendly. What I didn't like was the shower head (even when I adjusted it through all the options it still just kind of spat and dribbled water at me), the eggs at breakfast were quite gross (my husband who usually loves eggs wouldn't even eat them after the first try... that definitely says something) breakfast on the whole wasn't great. But.. all and all I would certainly stay here again but just go have breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

We are so glad you stayed with us and glad our room met your needs, I have our team updating the shower heads with new ones and we hope to see you again soon.