“A perfectly good hotel ruined by bad management!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed 4 June 2010

After staying at this property at least 70 nights over the last 12 months, I found this last stay to be pretty much a nightmare. When I called to reserve my room, I met with a less than courtious desk person, who I later found out was one of the managers. She told me this wasn't last year and things were different now, she could not have been more right. The night I checked in my room was over 80 degrees and when the fan was turned on the temp went up. I complained to the desk twice and nothing happened, so on the fifth day I wrote a email to the corporate office, and they referred it back to the hotel, nothing was done. I complained 2 more times, and on the ninth day they changed my room to one that had a climate control system that worked. The maintenace man informed me that the zone control switch was bad and the he had recommended to the front desk the day before that I be moved, well that didn't happen. So after the ordeal there, I didn't so much as get an apology for the poor service from the hotel, I again wrote to corporate Holiday Inn and told them how disapointed I was with the management at this property, and their reply was that they had referred it back to the people who caused all of the problems in the first place. Well I have been home for over a month and still no reply from Holiday Inn regarding this matter. As a Holiday Inn Platinum Priority Club member, I have booked my next stay in Fairbanks starting next week at the Best Western Chena River Lodge, cause nothing can be as bad as the Holiday Inn Express there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank hester22

Reviewed 1 April 2010

We were up in Fairbanks to view the Northern Lights for a couple of days, so we weren't too focused on hotel quality when planning this getaway.

Most noteworthy...

ROOMS - The hotel is still relatively new, so the "bones" are decent - modern rooms, with flat screen televisions, etc. Still fairly clean.

LOCATION - Nice location for easily getting around. Newer area.

GLITCHES - The heating system wasn't working, which was a big problem. The real issue is that it wasn't handled very well at all. The breakfast room was poorly attended to. Items weren't available and tables/floor were a mess.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TandemWorld
Reviewed 27 March 2010

The room was 74 degrees and the heat control did not work. I notified mgmt via the comment card to the front desk and it is still too hot. We opened the window to let some cool air in and the freeway noise was terrible! It really is noisy without the window open, but we needed cooler air!

Went down to breakfast and found all the tables dirty, out of eggs, most of the other items were out and it was really a skimpy selection without things being empty. I asked a hotel employee and they said, when it's gone it's gone. We left and had breakfast at Deb's. That was worth the drive to find. If you're looking to save money and think breakfast is included, think again.

there is no DLS cable in the room. You will need to use the internet wireless.

I will never stay here again. Springhill Suites was were I stayed last year and I would stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank JAMickey
Reviewed 22 March 2010

First off, This was the rudest front desk staff we have ever encountered. Coarse, unfriendly, unhelpful and short. All but one morning gal with brown hair had no business being in the customer service field at all. Particularly rude to a family we saw in line with kids. Some guy with a cane was the worst, of a crew unfit for the job.

The hotel ran out of towels. OUT OF TOWELS? SERIOUSLY, GO BUY SOME!

The heat was on full blast in the room and not adjustable. like over 80 degrees, so we had to open the window. Except the hotel is on the freeway and the noise is so loud you cant hear yourself think. When we asked the front desk about it, they said.."well...thats been broken for months"... The whole hotel is only a couple years old...FIX IT!

I would say the housekeeping was bad, but the truth is...WE NEVER GOT ANY AND NEVER SAW ANY. I MEAN A N Y. NONE, ZERO, NADA. in four days! NEVER SAW A HOUSEKEEPER ON THE FLOOR AT ALL. We called the front desk about it...big shock...no help.

Do you like powdered eggs? Thats what passes for breakfast in this place. Im not kidding, they are so cheap, that they use a "egg like" product for scrambled eggs. As if cracking a few eggs and mixing them up is TOO MUCH TROUBLE. Breakfast was a joke. The juice machine was out of concentrate, the bread was old, the facilities not well kept and the quality unacceptable.

All in all...we should have stayed in the truck. We could have adjusted the heat, not dealt with the smart mouthed front desk clerks and since we didnt have housekeeping anyway, there was no difference.

There is so much chlorine in the pool, we could not use it. People could not breathe in the pool area.

I would never rebook this hotel again. It is not managed, it is just open.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank timetravellerandwife
Reviewed 31 October 2009

My stay at the Holiday Inn was very good and the staff was outstanding. The rooms were very comfortable and priced at a good price for the season. The maintenance team was great and responded very quickly to any concern I had. The pool was great and the spa was the best I have ever used.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We stayed here in July for two nights and had a fine stay. The hotel is little more than 1 year old and we found the staff to be very helpful. The room was nice and big, clean with two queens size beds. We stayed when there was a brush/forest fire near the outskirts of Fairbanks and the city was covered in haze and you could smell the smoke outside the hotel. The air conditioning system worked very well and kept the smell out of the rooms. I enjoyed the pool and whirlpool with my kids-the pool was a good size.

I like the breakfast spread Holiday Inn puts out: cereals, muffins, toast, eggs, sausage, fruit and their cinnamon rolls. Didn't leave the hotel hungry.

The hotel was a little pricey but I quess that's to be expected in Alaska. Did a little shopping in the strip mall: Sports Authority, Sportsman's warehouse, Petco, Walmart, Carl's Jr.. There is a Subway sandwich shop in Walmarts-great place to pick up some sandwiches for a day trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank DonB859
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We reserved a jacuzzi room for one night. As I entered the room, I was struck by the odor. It just didn't smell clean. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the toilet seat and cover were covered with an orange colored liquid that had run from the top of the raised toilet seat down around the top of the toilet bowl. The armoire holding the TV was covered with sugar and coffee creamer, and had a forgotten nose ring laying on it. I threw back the bedcovers aqnd discovered a rip in the bottom bedsheet, right in the middle of the bed! How could a housekeeper making the bed not have seen it? When I called the from desk to report the problems, the night manager came up with a spraybottle of cleaner to clean the room while I waited. After looking around at the room, she offered to move me to another jacuzzi room. She stated that the room obviously hadn't been finished by the housekeeper, and started to complain about the quality of help the hotel was able to obtain to do housekeeping, remarking that the quality and cleanliness of the hotel wasn't likely to improve anytime soon (I stood there with my mouth hanging open in astonishment). After moving to a second room, the circumstances were hardly any better. Every flat surface in the second room had food particles and drink cup rings on it. The jacuzzi had a white, powdery residue in it that I had to clean out myself in order to use it. The room was stifling hot and the air conditioner didn't work. Both rooms were located across the hall from the ice maker, which was in use all night by other guests, and we could hear every time someone got ice and everytime the icemaker dumped a fresh load of ice. The room above us had a creaky floor and the occupant spent nearly the whole night pacing the floor. The world famous breakfast buffet the next morning was empty, even though we arrived 35 minutes before closing time (which left one quarter of the available time for them to serve breakfast still left). I had to go into the kitchen and ask the attendant (who was readin a magazine) to restock the buffet. She informed us that there wasn't much time left for breakfast aqnd she wouldn't be refilling everything because the hotel didn't want to waste any food by having too much left uneaten at the end of breakfast. While she was reading her magazine a teenage boys basketball team and several families with children came in to eat and left without eating because there was no food. The attendant did make a little bit of hot food for my husband and I, but while she was serving us at our table, another guest asked her for the gravy she was serving to us, and she told him that the gravy was only for us, which embarrassed us and the other guest. The hotel guest services book in each room lists several nearby restaurants to choose from, but none of them are nearby, and several have gone out of business. The one most highly recommended is about a half mile walk from the hotel, and it was converted to a car wash almost 4 years ago (long before the Holiday Inn was built. They apparently picked their restaurant recommendations from one of the local phonebook knock offs that litter Fairbanks every year.
This is a brand new hotel (open approximately 4 months), but there are many other fine hotels in this city. I would recommend you pick almost any other hotel but this one.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple