“great place in fairbanks~~”

Billie's Backpackers Hostel
College Park, Maryland
“great place in fairbanks~~”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

really really like home, clean and tidy...also a good place to meet interesting people! also the owner of the hostel is very nice and kindly. I really like her cute puppy Freaky(hope I spell in a right way)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Near to downtown, warm and cosy. Very nice place to stay at a very low price (30 usd per night). Kindda noisy bec the rooms allow a lot of people and the bathrooms are next to some of the beds. And because of the carpet it smells a little. Otherwise is a very good place to stay and Billy is such a nice person!

Room Tip: There is a room for 2 in the second level, I stayed there with one of my friends and it was good, be...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Groveland, California
Reviewed 14 October 2013

"Come in and make yourself a t home" is the tread of this hostel, oh, and please take your shoes off at the door. Coffee and tea are available as needed. The kitchen is clean, the bathroom was clean; be the early bird to avoid a line for the shower, the overall atmosphere was quiet and consideration to and by the other guests who guests were a variety from literally all over the globe. Billie is not a stranger to anyone. My daughter and I stayed in the main part of the house, renting a room with twin beds. It was different at first, and then I fell right into being part of Billie's Hostel. Yes, I would stay there again and will when I go to visit the girl at UAF.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very friendly staff. Comfortable accommodations. You can see the Northern Lights (if any) right in front of the hostel. The only concern is that their reservation system may have some problems. They overbooked the beds so I have to stay in sofa for half a night, so get a confirmation before you arrive. Anyway they did not charge me for that night, and at least it's warm enough in the room:)

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Yunlang L
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We didn't take very long to find the place. Everyone knows where's Billie's! It was a quick ride on the Yellow Line from the airport, then getting off to go onto the Red line at the UAF station. Technically it was $60 for both my husband and I ($30 each pax) and we can stay at a hotel instead, the people we have met there have made our choice worthwhile.

Billie's great with the coffee! There were 2 ladies who baked for us everyday! Awesome snacks I must say. Her house was cluttered, but it's so quaint, pretty, cozy and homely all together. Billie understood my husband's accent better so they had more exchanges together, which Billie shared anecdotes of living there. The piano in her house has been around since 1810! Despite the Bed &Breakfast sign outside her house, there is no breakfast made. The breakfast was for the workers whom she initially cater to in the early years of the hostel.

Every morning, the kitchen is very clean. Never leave your things lying around beyond the night if not it goes somewhere and you have to hunt for it again. The fridge is very cluttered and crowded so if you are thinking of grocery-shopping to cook there, consider again lol.

The rooms are spacious than I thought, and the beds were comfy. I slept well throughout the week. Don't leave your personal towels lying around because Billie will pick them up and send for washing, and you will have to trouble the kind old lady to dig through the thick piles of towels to find it for you. I'm not sure if the comforters are ever washed though..ask if you want to have a peace of mind.

If you don't like dogs, you probably wont like it here. Her pugs are Instagram-worthy: wearethetwopugs, probably a name like this would justify how adorable this pair of pups are. Whenever they smell someone baking, both will stroll into the room and sniff around. Too cute!

Was so inspired by the people I've met during my week there. Their presence really set the tone of the week- we were bouncing off ideas each other for lights hunting spots and places to go, our past experiences, random exchanges of trivia and talking about issues of life. Even the Japanese people we've met had so much to share, despite slight difficulty in conveying the depth of their answers.There was so much energy in the place that my husband felt a strong tinge of sadness when we were the last to leave (coincidentally all of us were slated to leave on 30th). The sense of community is indeed unforgettable!

Talk to the people you meet; everyone has something to share!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank volatilecandy
Northampton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in July, in the 4 bed dorm room. The room was clean, roommates respectful, bathrooms and Kitchen were kept very clean. The hostel is charming and the pugs very adorable. Billie was very warm and welcoming. The overall experience was amazing...just what I wanted :) Will definitely stay again when I do go back to see the aurora.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Manasi_patil
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I am normally a B&B, home rental type of traveler. But my travel companion is an experienced hostel user so I thought I'd take the plunge. The evening we arrived I was overwhelmed. As others mentioned I had never seen so many people! But it was quiet and clean and neat. As older travelers we had booked one of the private rooms on Billie's side of the house. It had a shared bath but only for the bedrooms on that side. And a definite evening quiet policy! Beds were very comfortable.
As others have mentioned, Billie is an extraordinary host, Through talking to her, her sister, and friends you come to realize that what folks do through those long winters is read and paint. Such articulate creative women! And absolutely no time for pretense. Such a delight to make these new friends.
Billie goes out of her way to accommodate her guests. The coffee pot is always full. Wifi is excellent. Other guests are interesting and considerate. Everyone responds to the atmosphere that she sets. Am looking forward to returning and am encouraged to push out of my comfort zone into other hostel experiences. My introduction at Billie's will be hard to beat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends