“Amazing place”

Billie's Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

One of the best hostels I have stayed in years!! Billie is a great host and the hostel is very comfortable and clean. Great home feel through out and great tasting coffee as well. Will be coming back when i return to Alaska for sure. Thanks Bille and Art for the great experience. Michael

Room Tip: All are A+++++
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dougal_fox

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I picked this hostel at random after bicycling the Dalton Highway from Prudhoe Bay down to Fairbanks. What a find! Super friendly folks here, prices are great, and Billy, the owner, will keep a weary traveler supplied with and endless amount of coffee.... and the occasional piece of pie, cake, donuts. WiFi is good, shower is hot, and the common rooms are a great place to hang out and trade stories with the others.Shoes off in the house, though. I stayed in the teepee in the yard for a good part of the week. Stay for a day or a month. Highly recommended. I'm having a hard time kicking myself out and getting on the road again...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Cyclop99
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Billie's was a really nice hostel. I have stayed in hostels all over South America and some in Europe. Billie's was exactly what I would want. First off, Billie is such a sweet caretaker. She just instilled a cozy, homey feel to the experience. Feeling comfortable to walk around and fraternize (or not) is why I sometimes prefer hostels when traveling. Everyone felt the same way while I was there. I forget her name, but one of the people who helped out there asked if anyone likes peach cobbler. I LIKE PEACH COBBLER. She came upstairs when it was finished and it was delicious. Finally I would like to say what a great value it was. Going up north most things are very expensive, but Billie's was affordable. For a 26 y/o male this is my gold standard for hostels.

Thank you Billie!

Room Tip: Depends what you are looking for. I did not see many other rooms. Billie is very open and accommod...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank pjmagrath
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Beyond awesome! Felt as if I was at home the whole stay. Billie is very friendly and warming. Everything is very clean and stayed that way throughout my stay here. This was my first hostel experience, so I was a little on edge at first. As soon as I walked in I was welcomed and it was very nice. I would highly recommend Billie's Hostel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Fairbanks. In walking distance to a cool coffee shop. Not far from other eateries.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at Billie's for two nights. We are a family of 4 adults and booked a small room with 4 bunk beds. It is homey and sufficient. When we arrived, owner did not appear to be ready for us. She removed someone from the bunk-bed room and quickly vacuumed. We made our beds. Value-wise, it was $30/per person... not much, but when it is a family of 4, it equals $120/night which is the same as hotels in the area.

The bathroom is down the hall or a larger, nicer one downstairs. There is a kitchen area where you can provide/prepare your own food.

Billie's is an easy walk to a spot where you can see the northern lights. Also walking distance to some eateries. Pad Thai was excellent on the main street.

We did not see or interact much with the owner and Mr. Cook did not appear to be very personable. Part of staying in a hostel is getting to know the owners.

Room Tip: For a hostel, it is probably a nice place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dayzpen
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Above and beyond; I'll be back for sure! I was ill and Billie went out of her way to make sure I was taken care of. I felt like I was at home the entire time I was there. I've been to many a hostel in the past, and I've never received the personal attention I received here. Highly recommended for the traveler on a budget or someone looking for somewhere homey to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Will K
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recently stayed at Billie's Backpackers Hostel with a friend trying to see the Northern Lights. Billie was very helpful in guiding us to great places within the city that would allow us to best see the lights. The other guests were very pleasant and fun to talk to. When I returned home to Oregon I realized I had lost something during my trip, I called Billie to check if I had lost it at her hostel and she got in in the mail to me the same day! If you are traveling to Fairbanks on a budget I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends