“Owner cares about the welfare of her guests” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 4A Care B&B

4A Care B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
4A Care B&B
Ranked #26 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Owner cares about the welfare of her guests”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had two acquaintances who stayed with Pat for some days both before and after heading out on an epic wilderness trip. Pat allowed them to spread their gear out, provided helpful suggestions on where to purchase stuff, gave them rides--in short, provided the kind of service that a Norwegian and South African needed when they first arrived in Alaska. When their expedition started to go bad, Pat fielded their SAT phone calls and made arrangements for a pilot to drop off replacement fishing gear, maps and extra food and made sure it got to them safely. She even made sure they were delivered several kilos of chocolate. Unfortunately, the guys' trip did go bad, and one of the men fell to his death. Pat followed up, welcomed the sole survivor back at the B&B, making sure he had some support before heading back to his home country. Pat is a real Alaskan, living in Fairbanks 24/7.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
      Location

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

My husband is in the army so we needed a place to stay while we waited on our house on post to be ready. Pat knows how much soldiers get for tla and will take every cent of it. As soon as we got there we found her bras and panties hanging over the banister to dry so we asked for just one night. It was a nasty and she is crazy! She wrote out a receipt for a week... She continually yelled at our daughter who is only two for calling her dogs puppies. Before we got our bags set down in the "apartment" aka shed, she ordered and volunteered my husband and I to take care of her other guests and pick up mattresses and other junk for her. It got down to 32 degrees that night and we discovered there was NO heat in the "apartment". In the middle of the night we were woke up to her screaming and arguing with other customers. Bright and early the next morning I found another place to go to, called a cab and got the hell out of there. When I told her I needed a receipt for the night she fussed bc she had to write out a new receipt and demanded I tell her where I was going to stay and promised me I would never find another place like hers. Thank God she was right! Please PLEASE!!! Dont ever stay here it was nasty and very unwelcoming

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank terrijo_burn

Travellers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

Eden, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stay away!!! Worst lodging, to boot we were on our honeymoon. Between the high rates and the phone ringing night and day( if we didn't pick up the house phone, Pat would just keep calling the house phone as well as both our cell phones), there was no peace of mind! We were told we would have high speed net, it turns out to be dial up from the house phone line that was wireless.This was a big deal for we told Pat that I had online classes I had to complete in June. Told we would have basic cable, turns out to be just the local channels. In the middle of June the house temp got to be high 80's at night while sleeping, she had sold the ac unit after we moved in.Pat told us to just open the windows. This would have be fine if it was not the 24 hours of sun shining! Never hot water with a 55 gallon hot water tank for 8 guest to use, Pat told me to take a bath when every one else was at work. We were charged a $250.00 cleaning fee, I have to clean the frig and the tub just for starters. She would not give the cleaning fee back. Not only was everything dirty, she would not stop buying junk to put in the place while we were living there. Then to top everything off, she makes you feel bad because she has a bad heart. She would ask up to do things, like help out with the B & B, a good hearted person that I am, so I helped out when I had the time to do so. She wouldn't pay anything but would give you junk for payment. After our stay she told people I took things from the house. All the junk she gave me for payment for working at her B & B I gave to people who needed it. For $4500.00 bucks for a 6 weeks stay, we could have rented a very nice house. She couldn't make her mind up on what she wanted to charge us from one payment to the next. As well as you have to fix any problems you self. Pat would not call any one to work on the hot water heater nor up date dial up net unless were willing to pay for it.

P.S. if you are a soldier, or other, Pat knows all the rates that is due to you per day for room and board and will charge you every penny of it. If you doubt any of this, stop by and have a talk with Pat to see your self. Make sure Pat shows you all Of the B & B. I didnt see it until after a few days into the stay. Junk store gone wild!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank Shannon P
Fort Wainwright
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Being a soldier being transferred to fort wainwright from the lower 48, was referred to stay at the AAAA by another hotel. All other hotels were booked, so went along with it. Stayed there for a total of 2 weeks, final bill ended up being about $6k. There was no cleaning services at all and rooms were filthy. Always wanted cash only, and charged more than was originally stated.
Also the owner is insistant on calling your place of work and harrassing you.

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank D S
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Worst lodging experience of my life. Spoke with Pat on the phone at first and she seemed helpful at first. When I arrived at the property she required cash only to be paid in advance for my stay, I soon discovered why...
The heat did not work and the room was constantly 50 degrees, the bed linen was dirty and smelled like and old women with strong perfume at slept in it for a week. The entire place was smelly, cold and moldy. When I complained and requested a refund the answer I got was "ALL SALES ARE FINAL!" " NO REFUNDS"
In my opinion this is a very shady buisness and I question whether the proceeds are being reported to the IRS appropriately. I should have known better, never pay cash for anything, it is a sign you are about to be ripped off.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank Joe W
Surfside, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2008

We chose to stay at this bed and breakfast because of its very convenient location. Pat opens the doors to her guests and you can literally make yourself at home. And it was like staying at my mom's place....I had to make my bed and if I wanted to eat, I had to be up at 8:30. While many bed and breakfast locations feature a trademark breakfast, there's nothing special here. Very tasty, hot, straightforward cooking: eggs, cereal, coffee, etc. Unfortunately, we prefer to be a bit more daring and the nearby Denny's provided a more daring equivalent.

Rooms were clean and yes, she was hosting a few victims of nearby summer floods. However, the atmosphere in the B&B made it evident that both Pat and victims were eager for life to return to normal.

Every available wall and counter space, as well as outside deck space and siding were decorated with imaginative craft work: some crafts no doubt local. My first impression was truly that of an explosion at an arts and crafts fair. I know some people like that stuff but I prefer things less cluttered.

A good place to stay for a night or if parents are visiting their University of Alaska Fairbanks' student. Pat does a good business with Chinese tourists who come north in the winter to see the northern lights. The B&B does offer great gazing perspectives but better ones are a short drive out of town.

• Liked — convenient to where my son was living
  • Disliked — Too much clutter, breakfast plain and offered no additional value
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank justthatgoodguyjim
St. Louis, MP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

It was just like staying at home. There is a feeling of belonging and a "help yourself" attitude. It was kitchy and homey. Pat is a great hostess and the other guests that were there when we were there were friendly. Pat makes a great breakfast.
At the time we were there Pat had taken in some people who were flooded out of their homes. She went out of her way to help and provide a safe comfortable place for everyone to stay.