“Courtesy call for Northern Lights”
Review of Wedgewood Resort

Wedgewood Resort
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We chose this hotel from a list of available rooms listed at the visitors center. Price was right at $109. Clean, quiet room. Comfy beds and a really good fan to cancel any noises. We requested a wake up call for the Northern Lights, which came at 12:30 a.m. They allowed us to have a late check out time.

Room Tip: Good hotel for value traveller
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rookiegolpher
WedgewoodResort, Manager at Wedgewood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with is and want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you took advantage of our Northern Lights wake-up call service, and got to see the aurora. This is supposed to be an excellent fall and winter for northern lights, so I expect we will be making a lot of these calls to guests! We are pleased to do so, as seeing “the lights” is certainly a highlight of any trip to Fairbanks. Again, thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This Inn is used by Globus Tours for a few nights while in the Fairbanks, AK area. The rooms are all suite style with a large sitting room for relaxing after a busy day touring, fully wquipped kitchen which we did not use except for morning coffee, and a very comfortable bedroom with two queens perfect for two friends traveling together. Staff are all friendly and helpful. Shuttle to and from airport available when needed; as is transportation with the resort at any time. Full breakfast buffet (not included excet on tour) is great. If you should be visiting Fairbanks, this is the place to stay. Auto museum worth the $5.00 admission on premisis.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank anglerted
WedgewoodResort, Manager at Wedgewood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for your review and recommendation! I am happy that your stay at Wedgewood Resort met your expectations, and that you were able to visit our auto and fashion museum. I also appreciate your comments about our breakfast buffet. It is our pleasure to offer a tantalizing variety of hot and cold buffet selections to our guests, as well as the options of ordering from our restaurant menu or cooking their own meals in our suites. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We decided to stay over additional days, remaining at the lodge, which once house pipeline personnel. Rooms were actually apartments, with living room, eating area, full kitchen, bath and bed room. We had two queen beds and our apt overlooked the wildlife area next to the property which made it quite nice. As it was in the 50 to 65 degree weather and sunny,we were able to keep the window in bed room and sliding glass door in living room open most of the time. Everything was clean, fully supplied. Housekeeping came in every day to clean and reset the rooms. Yes the furniture is modern old, and the rugs need to be replaced, which may help the stale (possibly old smoke) air about the place. But then again we were out most of the time and considering the time of year and the fact that big travel agencies use the property, we were quite pleased. We ate over in Bear Lodge the first morning, but were not impressed at all with the food, especially when considering the price. Make your own as we did, saves $$. Staff were also friendly and very helpful, especially the housekeeping staff which worked together cleaning. Bright energetic kids, polite as well. Walls are thin, but while we were there, our building was really quiet. oh and the laundry room had large machines, worked great, a dollar for washer or dryer. tokens and detergent get thru lobby desk. property is close to everything, including a good Italian Restaurant/pizza place. We would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
WedgewoodResort, Manager at Wedgewood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our employees helpful—professional and courteous service is a priority for us! It’s actually a myth that our condominiums were built to house Alaska Pipeline personnel, as they didn’t open until the year the pipeline was finished. While the buildings are several decades old, we do update and maintain our furnishings, and rugs are replaced on a regular schedule. I would like to know the number of the suite you stayed in so I can address the odor you mentioned. It’s possible that a previous guest broke our No Smoking rule; if so, we will put the room through a deep cleaning. Please feel free to contact me directly. I would also love to know more about why our restaurant did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer a variety of high-quality choices on our menu, and I take complaints very seriously. I apologize that it did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed in room #108 Bear Lodge in mid-August. Quite large, very clean. Yes the bathroom could use a makeover amd the beds were overly bouncy but a great stay at a great price for summer season ($109/night). The resort grounds are incredibly beautiful with all the flowers.

• Stayed: August 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were here when the resort’s gardens were at their peak. The wildflowers in our nature preserve are also lovely in August, so I hope you were able to enjoy those too. I apologize that our beds were not comfortable for you. Some guests comment that they are too firm, while others feel they are too soft, so it is challenge for us to accommodate everyone’s preferences. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This property has an overwhelming feeling of being either a former senior center or on the way to becoming and assisted living facility. The key word being "facility". This is a dated "resort" with rooms that have a slight camphor and bowling shoe scent. We were fortunate enough to be in Fairbanks while the weather was phenomenal (sunny and warm), however, this meant most guests seemingly could not handle the heat wave (high of 80 f) and were running their air conditioners non stop. The air conditioners were very loud and only added to the already
unpleasent experience.
To make matters worse, a front desk staff person who I came to know as "upside down Fred*" because he wore his name tag upside down. He clearly did not want to be at his job, giving me very curt answers to what I felt were genuine inquiries. His impudence seemed not in keeping with what I thought would be a decent property. The only nice people we encountered were other guests or the grounds keepers.
The queen bed was arguably a full size mattress. The shower was mediocre with a notable decrease in pressure when the room next door was either flushing thier toilet or using their shower.
Nice things to say: grounds are beautiful and the "resort" is in a good location.
Will not be returning to this property when we come back (which will be soon).
*Fred's name has been changed to protect his identity.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2fromhere

Thank you for your nice comments about our grounds and location. Our grounds crew works hard to maintain our beautiful flowerbeds, lawns, 1.5 miles of nature trails, and wildlife sanctuary. I was perplexed to read, however, that you equated our resort with a senior center. The vast majority of our guests give us positive comments about the spacious accommodations. Each of our 750+ square-foot condominiums are furnished with amenities such as large-screen televisions, full-size kitchens and living rooms, high-speed broadband Internet, Alaskan artwork, and second televisions in the bedrooms—at or below the same rate other properties charge for a small hotel room. In addition to a wildlife sanctuary, outdoor history displays, gardens, art exhibits, and free movies, our resort features the #1 rated attraction for Fairbanks—the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum. Resort guests receive half-price admission to the museum, and can ride our free shuttle to other visitor attractions in Fairbanks. No, we are not a traditional resort with a swimming pool and golf course, but we believe our unique, 105-acre property offers much more for guests to enjoy than a standard hotel.

I do want to apologize for “Fred” and assure you that we have addressed this matter. While we can’t control Fairbanks’s record-setting heat this summer and the need for other guests to run air conditioners, I would like to follow up on your comment about an unpleasant odor in your suite. Occasionally a guest violates our No Smoking rule, but because our condos are spread out across the resort, our staff does not encounter smoke odors as easily as they would while working in traditional hotel hallways. If you would contact me and let me know what suite you stayed in, I will personally check it and evaluate if it requires a deep cleaning. We take seriously our standards for maintaining impeccably clean rooms, and if your suite has a stale odor we will clean the rug and draperies right away.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was the final stay on our Princess Land tour post Alaska cruise. We were impressed by the cleanliness and size of the room, although not fancy. We did not use any of the amenities except the restaurant and the food there was fine although not extraordinary. We enjoyed having two sinks. Overall it was very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

I hope you enjoyed your Alaska cruise and land tour! We are happy to partner with Princess and are glad we could provide you with comfortable accommodations at the end of your trip. We only regret that you didn’t get to visit our popular museum and wildlife sanctuary. If you ever return to Fairbanks, we hope that you will budget time for those. I highly recommend a visit between now and next spring, as this is supposed to be a spectacular year for seeing the northern lights above Fairbanks. Our International Ice Art Championship in March is amazing to see, too.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

The trouble with traveling in Alaska is that the prices for lodging are exorbitant in the summer, so travelers end up paying at least two times what a room is worth. I would describe the Wedgewood as a large Motel 6 with suites instead of rooms. The decor and the minimal comfort level are much more motel than resort. There's no pool or hot tub, no breakfast included, no exercise facilities--all amenities that I would consider standard for these prices. Offering a one-day discounted pass to a gym that isn't very close to the resort isn't much of a consolation.

The pros:
Very friendly staff
Roomy bathroom with a decent-sized tub
Large TV
Free wifi

The cons:
The bed. It is like a strange torture device, rock hard and yet somehow bouncy, like sleeping on a saltine trampoline. The pillows are either flat and hard or super soft and lumpy. The blankets are outdated and scratchy.
The smell. The rooms either smell like old smoke or have some general musty smell that has affected my allergies something fierce. Could also have something to do with the bedding.
The couches on the website look plush and have pillows. Ours is flat, old, and no pillows.
The aforementioned lack of facilities.
The breakfast at the Bear Lodge is expensive and very mediocre. As my partner says, no two pancakes are worth twelve dollars (this was without any sides). We didn't try the buffet.
There's no way to adjust the air conditioning temperature in the main rooms of the suite (the bedroom has a window unit that kept the room comfy). It's set at a slightly high 75.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank soulplanter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must say I found your comparison of our property to a Motel 6 rather disconcerting. On average, a standard motel offers a single room with two beds, a desk and one or two chairs. Our 750 to 850 square-foot condominiums include a living room (with two couches), dining room, fully equipped kitchen, and one or two bedrooms. Amenities include a large flat-screen television in the living room, bedroom television, free high-speed broadband WIFI, Alaskan books, discounted admission to two area museums, free hotel shuttle, free shuttle to Fairbanks attractions, and easy access to our 105-acre resort’s gardens, outdoor history exhibits, and wildlife sanctuary, 1.5 miles of nature trails, nationally acclaimed auto museum, and on-site restaurant, lounge, gift shop and internet café. Our new fitness center is set to open by the end of 2013. All of this is offered at very competitive rates compared to basic hotel rooms in Fairbanks.

We used to have a hot tub and swimming pool on site, but very few guests used these. Apparently many travelers do not bring their swimsuits to Alaska, and/or prefer to visit local attractions rather than swim or soak. Significantly more guests visit our new museum and nature trails than ever used our pool and hot tub.

I am sorry that you did not find our décor and beds to your liking. Each of our suites is furnished with Alaskan artwork, which we are presently updating to include more Alaska wildlife art. The beds are equipped with top-of-the-line Serta mattresses, brand new comforters, and laundered, soft blankets. Our housekeepers are extremely meticulous when cleaning rooms, and I apologize that you found your suite to have an unpleasant odor. I can only surmise that a prior guest smoked in it, which is against our policy. I hope you made our front desk aware of the problem so we could address it. If not, feel free to contact me with your suite number and I will personally look into it.